Velar test drive

The place to discuss everything else..
Yanwoo

Post by Yanwoo »

Took a Velar our for a spin earlier in the week, pretty much by accident! Was visiting the porsche dealership, and popped into both the nearby Jaguar and Land Rover dealers just for a look see and I was surprised that Land Rover had a Velar in the showroom. Was just gauging the size in comparison with the evoque and sport, and got pounced on by a sales dude...the demo velar had arrived an hour earlier, so I jumped in! Apparently this week was the week they're being launched in dealerships.

It was the D240 SE w/ 20" wheels, not sure about the specific spec beyond that, because it was so new in the chap hadn't got the spec to hand.

Overall, it was a very nice drive, very comfortable, felt a bit like a middle engined diesel RRS, but a bit more agile and nimble. The interior was a excellent quality, a good absence of plastic, and the in-car tech is stunning to look at: three large screens handle pretty much everything. Although, saying that, whilst driving and trying to change things, was tricky with the touch screen and lack of familiarity. At one point, I tried to reduce my fan, and ended up switching the car to mud ruts mode...doh! Generally though, the physical dials on the touch screen works well, although there is a learning curve as their functions changes depending on context. I didn't get to play much with the steering wheel controls, again it strikes me there's more a of a learning curve with their approach (not necessarily a 'bad' thing).

The HUD was nice, not driven a car with one of those before, and that might make it's way onto my list now. Although, I think it was extra helpful whilst being in a car where I didn't have a good intuitive sense of speed, I wouldn't need to monitor the speed as much once I got familiar.

Acceleration was smooth and it felt quite responsive, but not exciting, although I wouldn't expect that with the engine. I'd be keen to try a D300 or P380. The handling felt good, again without being particularly exciting.

I've always find it quite tricky to gather too much on a first test drive, with all the concentration needed in driving a different car, with a salesmen chatting away, whilst also trying things out and focusing on the experience.

Recalling back handful of months ago testing the GTS, i had this stupid grin on my face for about an hour after, the Velar offered nothing like that, rather a much more comfortable, executive feel, but the in-car tech (for better or worse) is next gen and going back at looking at the macan after, it definitely felt quite dated in comparison.

I'm still in hold mode for my buying decision, I was waiting for the velar, and now I think I'll wait to see what the macan refresh looks like, and I'd also like to take a look at the e-pace as well. I'm nothing if not patient. It seems like we're in a rich period for options in this space?

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

With the Velar my main concerns would be reliability and build quality. LR have a very poor reputation on new model reliability. Having recently considered a Disco Sport, I was massively put off by the constant talk of poor quality on the forums. The Velar does look the part though, but with a price to match, especially when you look at the mid-high range models. Makes the Macan look like great value!

Not convinced about the "next gen" touch screens though. Anything that isn't totally intuitive in a car is bad in my books, especially when accessing basic stuff like the fan!
Pete

Post by Pete »

To be fair, I wouldn't call PCM "totally intuitive". If I use PCM while driving, I invariably find myself looking away from the road a lot longer than I did on any LR car I've owned. My other half could easily use the Sat Nav in the Range Rover, but fumbles doing the same thing in the Macan (post code entry is horrible on PCM 3).
DNR17

Post by DNR17 »

I popped in to look at the Velar yesterday. Was very impressed especially with the interior / tech. I haven't driven one yet but will do at some stage, I'm in no rush to move on from the Macan as I finance my cars for 3yrs, but jumping straight back in my Macan it did feel dated.

LR have done a great job with the Velar and having had Evoque's in the family for 5yrs with no real issues, I'm not concerned by reliability of their product.

A similar specified Velar to my Macan will be maybe 4k - 5k more.

Also a consideration for me, buying a British designed and built product post Brexit isn't a bad thing. I can see me putting my name on the list towards the end of the year...
Diesel S ordered September 2014, delivery schedualled September 2015.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGVHIJ59
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Interesting write up, many thanks for your insight.

There are two chances of me ever buying a RR or LR, namely little and none.

Whilst I moan about Jag after sales service it pales into nothing compared to the lack of any quality of Sales Service at my local dealer, its so bad I will not even go into the dealership after three visits and being ignored three times.

Mind you the last time I was ignored I saught out a SE and waved the Porsche key at them and said that I am not interested in any of their products as the Sales service at Porsche is in the Premier league compared to the non league service at this dealership.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Yanwoo

Post by Yanwoo »

Peteski wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:27 am Not convinced about the "next gen" touch screens though. Anything that isn't totally intuitive in a car is bad in my books, especially when accessing basic stuff like the fan!
We had quite a big debate about that a few months back (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5521)!
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

One of the reasons I dont want a Velar or an F Pace or whatever is because I want my car to look like a car and not a computer screen..... It may be traditional but I like that so dials and needles and rotary controls and buttons for me please...
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

Isleaiw wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:21 pm One of the reasons I dont want a Velar or an F Pace or whatever is because I want my car to look like a car and not a computer screen..... It may be traditional but I like that so dials and needles and rotary controls and buttons for me please...
This is a consideration for me also.

I like the idea of a Velar, but I want to read the real life reviews first, and the screens may be a step too far for all the controls, especially if they change function depending on menu/setting - I'm bad enough with an iPhone.

James
Deleted User 1874

It's funny how the grass always looks greener over the fence. On the LR forums there are plenty of comments about how cheap the build quality looks on the Velar and how they would prefer a Merc, Porsche, BMW, Volvo or whatever else instead. The Velar does look great though on pictures and seems like a good compromise on size. I haven't seen one in real life yet. But I'm always going to choose Porsche over LR products.
Deleted User 1874

Yanwoo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:11 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:27 am Not convinced about the "next gen" touch screens though. Anything that isn't totally intuitive in a car is bad in my books, especially when accessing basic stuff like the fan!
We had quite a big debate about that a few months back (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5521)!
Wow 20 pages! I'm not big on "infotainment" systems myself whilst I'm driving. As long as I can access the basics easily without reading any user manuals and the stereo sounds good then I'm happy. What I don't want is unreliable electronics and blue screens of death in my car! I do like a modern high quality interior, but I don't think that necessarily involves a load of massive touch screens and software. The interior of a Tesla looks ridiculous to me with it's oversized portrait screen.

The Macan is inevitably showing its age in the cabin, but still looks pretty good to me.