Velar test drive

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Yanwoo wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 pm
Dandock wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:26 pm
Ditto but can't agree about the interior design. Far too blingy for me. Obviously aimed and China and the US who very much go for that look.
Do you think the interior of the velar is more blingy that the new panamera?
Not as per the pic shown above the version with the white two-tone steering wheel is out n out bling. The Panamera may have the shiny central console but it's relatively restrained. Not completely to my taste but each to their own.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Yanwoo wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 pm
Dandock wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:26 pm
Ditto but can't agree about the interior design. Far too blingy for me. Obviously aimed and China and the US who very much go for that look.
Do you think the interior of the velar is more blingy that the new panamera?
It also comes down to usability. Whilst LR have created a very clean central area it relies totally on touch screens. Will it work? Remains to be seen.

The Panny basically follows the established Porsche pattern so lots of buttons - a pattern that's interchangeable between models - with some new touchy tech thrown in. Not a big fan of the touchy-tech myself but time and users will tell.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

All this chat made me go to my local LR dealer to have a look!

From an exterior perspective I liked the front a lot and the side was ok. Didn't like the back...but it's better than the new Discovery!! Interestingly they had a Velar parked next to an F-Pace - the rear profile is almost identical (no surprise perhaps) but I felt the lighting etc layout on the Jag looks better.

Inside, I was impressed with the look and feel of the top parts of the dash, consoles etc. and the look of the leather. Yes the lower parts of the doors are like the F-Pace but I don't tend to look down there too often.

BUT I still can't believe how expensive it is. For not much more you get a Sport which is larger and has a better quality of finish. I think LR may be getting too greedy but I guess time will tell with residuals.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Cost v residuals? I guess we have to factor in the undoubtedly generous discounts that appear the JLR norm.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Dandock wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:47 am Cost v residuals? I guess we have to factor in the undoubtedly generous discounts that appear the JLR norm.
Didn't someone post earlier about the " friends and family" scheme being available to anyone provided you are breathing and have a pulse...?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Paul wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:46 pm
Dandock wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:47 am Cost v residuals? I guess we have to factor in the undoubtedly generous discounts that appear the JLR norm.
Didn't someone post earlier about the " friends and family" scheme being available to anyone provided you are breathing and have a pulse...?
Yep! That was me following a conversation with my friend down the road who's son-in-law is a techy and working the E Land Rover project.
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Virage11 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am
BUT I still can't believe how expensive it is. For not much more you get a Sport which is larger and has a better quality of finish. I think LR may be getting too greedy but I guess time will tell with residuals.
Damned right it is :shock:
I have specced a RRS 3.0 V6 S/C 345PS HSE Dynamic reasonably close to a Velar HSE 3.0 V6 S/C HSE. (The Dynamic has too much bling for me and the rear looks much better.).
The Velar comes out at £73850 and RRS, with a £4352 Broadspeed discount, is £66258. If I was in the market the RRS is a no brainer.
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

As has been said... Land Rover's main competitors are Land Rovers!
Beausoleil100

Post by Beausoleil100 »

As someone who bought a RR Sport when it first came out in June 2005 . . . and got rid by December over persistent electrical issues, I was particularly alarmed by the Velar's electrically deploying door handles that have the emergency keyhole hidden behind!! I have to assume that the door handles pop out if there is no battery supply or else how does this make any sense?

Presumably, in the event the car's battery goes flat, the handles pop out but the doors remain locked but, even so, every day I would dread the driver's door handle failing - especially if it has the only emergency lock - or finding the remote simply has a flat battery.

I'm no longer interested enough to go in and ask the question, but I am curious.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Beausoleil100 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:16 pm As someone who bought a RR Sport when it first came out in June 2005 . . . and got rid by December over persistent electrical issues, I was particularly alarmed by the Velar's electrically deploying door handles that have the emergency keyhole hidden behind!! I have to assume that the door handles pop out if there is no battery supply or else how does this make any sense?

Presumably, in the event the car's battery goes flat, the handles pop out but the doors remain locked but, even so, every day I would dread the driver's door handle failing - especially if it has the only emergency lock - or finding the remote simply has a flat battery.

I'm no longer interested enough to go in and ask the question, but I am curious.
Yes, I think you'd have to be a very brave/stupid man to take a risk on a brand new JLR product loaded to the brim with new tech!