Velar test drive

The place to discuss everything else..
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Isleaiw wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:21 pm One of the reasons I dont want a Velar or an F Pace or whatever is because I want my car to look like a car and not a computer screen..... It may be traditional but I like that so dials and needles and rotary controls and buttons for me please...
Porsche won't have these for long given the Panamera has gone mostly digital and the Cayenne and 992 are about (relatively) to follow.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...

mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

;) totes agree
Isleaiw wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:21 pm One of the reasons I dont want a Velar or an F Pace or whatever is because I want my car to look like a car and not a computer screen..... It may be traditional but I like that so dials and needles and rotary controls and buttons for me please...
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

At least the Panamera retains a good old fashioned, central, analogue tachometer! :D
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
andreas

Post by andreas »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:46 pm Whilst I moan about Jag after sales service it pales into nothing compared to the lack of any quality of Sales Service at my local dealer, its so bad I will not even go into the dealership after three visits and being ignored three times.
One of our cars is a 2011 Freelander. A couple of years ago, I got an email from a market research company working for JLR, offering me £100 if I'd let them send a "mystery shopper" along with me next time the Freelander was serviced. So I said yes, and a month or so later the car was booked in for a routine service and that morning I met the mystery shopper guy in a car park near the LR dealership. He was kitted out with a covert video system. We went to the dealership, and he came in with me. We sat in the service reception and I introduced him as a friend who was going to give me a lift home. Only took a few minutes to book the car in, and we left, after agreeing that the car would be ready for collection at 5.30pm.

So, at 5.30pm I met the mystery shopper again, and he drove me back to the dealership. We went to service reception, sat down and I asked the service advisor if they'd found anything to comment on. "Oh," he said "we haven't looked at the car, been really busy today, we're stacked up with cars out the back. Can you bring it in again another day?"

The mystery shopper guy later told me he'd never experienced anything quite as bad, but was ecstatic about having videoed the exchange, as he said it would become notorious in the LR network!

And I still got my £100 cheque!
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Great story!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Bart

Post by Bart »

I will add my experiences of a recent RR Sport I have just sold in order to buy a Macan. Twenty two months of ownership, bought Sept 15 and covered 18k miles, 41 days off the road, two roadside/ home recoveries, key-fob problems, a cacophony of rattles and groans, water leaks, several electrical gremlins, two sat-nav wobbles and savage tyre scrubbing which was never cured..... Oh and a rear diff fault.
The Velar looks very nice from what I've seen of it, but be aware of potential reliability issues and very average customer service.
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

I've seen a Velar that was on display in the area where I work. I was a nice looking car and the tech works with Android, which is a plus, but I'm not convinced that a Velar is worth more than a Macan. It also has HUD, and having used HUD on hire cars recently I would want it on my next car, along with Android connectivity.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Interesting early review in Autocar.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/la ... 017-review
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Ditto in the ST. And a ***** conclusion; it uses the Macan S as the comparison pen-picture! And an interesting remark in there about German SUVs being packed with tech when he begins by talking about the Velars high electronic mountain climbing then continues with the iPhone generation. Hey ho! And only brief mention of the cost of speccing one to taste.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/magazine/the ... -20lkdz0m2
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Macandriver wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:08 am I've seen a Velar that was on display in the area where I work. I was a nice looking car and the tech works with Android, which is a plus, but I'm not convinced that a Velar is worth more than a Macan. It also has HUD, and having used HUD on hire cars recently I would want it on my next car, along with Android connectivity.
The new XC Volvos do CarPlay and Android Auto. And have HUDs. If that's not too scary a thought :-)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR