Volvo XC60 / XC90 hybrid test drives

The place to discuss everything else..
Retired

Post by Retired »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:42 am Airport runs with large cases are easily solved.

A Chauffeur driven car takes all luggage drops you off and collects you from kerbside when you get back.

Its far less hastle than leaving car at airport, worring abount door dents and vandalism.

Price of limo service was not much more than the cost of parking plus fuel.

Used this service a few times, cost varies on size of vehicle.

Again think outside the box and younstay away from a large car that you simply do not need for the vast majority of the time.

Unless you are dropping off / collecting people.

goron59

Post by goron59 »

I use a local minicab service for Heathrow (£48) and Gatwick (£55) .. to and from.
If I'm "collecting" people, I'll send them a minicab. It's just sooooo much easier and cheaper. Unless you like using the Tube. But you've got to be mental to use that.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Peteski wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:28 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:42 am Airport runs with large cases are easily solved.

A Chauffeur driven car takes all luggage drops you off and collects you from kerbside when you get back.

Its far less hastle than leaving car at airport, worring abount door dents and vandalism.

Price of limo service was not much more than the cost of parking plus fuel.

Used this service a few times, cost varies on size of vehicle.

Again think outside the box and younstay away from a large car that you simply do not need for the vast majority of the time.
At the moment we have a friend who helps take our luggage to the airport, so that's not really a major issue although better not to have to depend on others. I've used limo services too in the past, but it's a good hour and a half to the airport so ends up pretty expensive and then there's all the hassle of booking etc. It's just easier to jump in and go if possible. I've thought about hiring a car for such trips as my father-in-law could drop us off in it, but again it needs some planning.

But the major issue now for us is more frequent long UK trips as the kids are getting a bit older. We've got them started on mountain biking recently and that means carrying a whole load more kit than before. Our Qashqai certainly can't handle it anymore and something only slightly bigger will have much the same issues. I think the XC60 might just get the job done, but I'm not even convinced about that until I actually try one. A Macan would definitely need a roof box as you suggested, but I don't really want to be loading a box on and off every other weekend. It's not exactly very spacious in the rear seats either, which seriously put my wife off it.

The reality is that the Macan totally failed the initial showroom test for my wife (both on boot and cabin space) and I've been trying to convince her that it could work ever since. But now I'm coming round to the conclusion that she was actually right. The Volvo showroom visit was much more successful and whatever the numbers are on paper, the XC60 boot has far more chance of fitting 3 large cases with the extra height and the cabin feels a lot more airy in general and, dare I say it, more attractive.
Happy wife, happy life - I dont have one of those so only myself to please (and a daughter / son - latter couldnt care other than the cost and former is a badge snob!)
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:02 pm I use a local minicab service for Heathrow (£48) and Gatwick (£55) .. to and from.
If I'm "collecting" people, I'll send them a minicab. It's just sooooo much easier and cheaper. Unless you like using the Tube. But you've got to be mental to use that.
Not such an easy option if you live 100 miles away from London. It can still be done, but at a price and not always easy to book when you want. I'd much rather get there myself if possible.
Deleted User 1874

Isleaiw wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:26 pm Happy wife, happy life - I dont have one of those so only myself to please (and a daughter / son - latter couldnt care other than the cost and former is a badge snob!)
Yep, I've now got the full family and all the baggage that entails. So I'm sticking to the sports car + family wagon for the foreseeable future. I was kind of hoping a Macan could do it all, but I doubt it can in our case. So it's probably going to come down to Cayenne vs Volvo XC90 and I'm liking the look of the Volvo better. As a long term Porsche fan, I never thought I'd ever say that, but times change and this is after all a family car choice!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Every time I see a Cayenne from the rear, it reminds me of a Tuareg.

Another choice might be a Q7, although I wouldn't have an Audi any more than I'd have a French car.

Or sit it out and wait a couple of years and see where hybrids are then. I get the impression that hybrids aren't quite refined enough just now.
Deleted User 1874

Pete wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:13 pm Every time I see a Cayenne from the rear, it reminds me of a Tuareg.

Another choice might be a Q7, although I wouldn't have an Audi any more than I'd have a French car.

Or sit it out and wait a couple of years and see where hybrids are then. I get the impression that hybrids aren't quite refined enough just now.
As good as the Q7 may well be, I just can't face driving an Audi. So I'm not even going to set foot in the Audi showroom. At least the Volvo has some personality. I don't care if the Q7 edges it on ride/handling/engine/quality/space or whatever objective criteria, I'd still rather live with the Volvo or just about anything else.

I don't really have the time to sit it out for a few years, but I agree that hybrids are still a bit of a mixed bag. But at least my local driving is a good fit for their strengths. If I went with a Cayenne I'd probably pass on the hybrid option. But with the Volvo I feel like I have no choice but to go hybrid as their more conventional engine options all look dull. I'll reserve judgement until I actually get to drive one. If I don't like the T8 power train then I might have to rethink again. The new Cayenne could be an option, but might not be available in the timescale I need. I can hold off until next spring, but I really don't like the idea of taking the current Cayenne with a brand new model only a matter of months away. Also depends if I actually like the new Cayenne and waiting lists could well be an issue on release.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I dare say it but it sounds like an FPace fits the mould for some. More internal space. Not much bigger externally. Much more boot space. Plenty of Tech even though it has a number of issues as well as other issues. The 3 ltr engines drive well.
Discounts available. Plenty of engine choices.
Ok so you certainly won't get the Porsche experience and you may have some issues and residuals are not that great but no point having the wrong car just because it's fast and is worth more In a few years time.
Just a thought for some.
GTS 😀
goron59

Post by goron59 »

^^^ I suspect a lot of these posts on here recently about other cars are down to the realisation that the Macan isn't quite right, or the shine has worn off (not on the detailing crowd, obviously :lol:)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

Funnily enough the FPace was the first car we looked at. I have to say it ticks a lot of boxes and the boot space is particularly impressive. But just not my style and I have no confidence in the quality of JLR products. Same goes for the Velar, which I believe shares the same platform. But I agree it could be a good choice for those who like the styling. Like the Volvo and Macan, the FPace at least has some character.