Volvo XC60 / XC90 hybrid test drives

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:10 pm ^^^ I suspect a lot of these posts on here recently about other cars are down to the realisation that the Macan isn't quite right, or the shine has worn off (not on the detailing crowd, obviously :lol:)
Simply lots of choice in this market and the Macan is perhaps more of a compromise than most SUVs in terms of the "U" part of the equation. As a big Porsche fan I really wanted the Macan to work as a family car, but I'm now thinking there are simply better alternatives. Not better to drive of course, but better as a complete family car. For me the new Volvo XC60 appears to have hit the nail on the head, even if it's not going to be a particularly exciting drive.

I think with the next Macan I'm hoping Porsche will address some of the obvious compromises. All it needs is a bigger boot and a little more rear legroom and then it would be a no-brainer choice for me! It could still look great with a more practical shape as others have proven.

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Peteski wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:04 am Funnily enough the FPace was the first car we looked at. I have to say it ticks a lot of boxes and the boot space is particularly impressive. But just not my style and I have no confidence in the quality of JLR products. Same goes for the Velar, which I believe shares the same platform. But I agree it could be a good choice for those who like the styling. Like the Volvo and Macan, the FPace at least has some character.
We looked at the Fpace last year. It was full of faults which are all very well documented on the Fpace forum and over 12 months later people are still rejecting the cars. I would never purchase one purely because of reliability issues and I have no faith in the customer service. 2 things which are high on my priority list as my wife drives the car mainly with our kids. We have other cars so the Macan for us was perfect size. My wife has learned how to pack suitcases very well now 😊 . There are better family SUV out there in terms of space etc but none I have found that drive like the Macan or hold it's value like a Macan. I would expect Macan 2 to be lighter and more space. Things that all cars seem to get after a few years.
GTS 😀
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

"I think with the next Macan I'm hoping Porsche will address some of the obvious compromises. All it needs is a bigger boot and a little more rear legroom and then it would be a no-brainer choice for me! It could still look great with a more practical shape as others have proven"

Isn't this a Cayenne? 😀 Personally I am hoping they make a slightly smaller version of the Macan. Certainly don't want an overly practical shape though. With the absence of a Porker option then the XC40 is looking to be a likely contender at the moment.......
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Deleted User 1874

Rigger wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:17 am "I think with the next Macan I'm hoping Porsche will address some of the obvious compromises. All it needs is a bigger boot and a little more rear legroom and then it would be a no-brainer choice for me! It could still look great with a more practical shape as others have proven"

Isn't this a Cayenne? 😀 Personally I am hoping they make a slightly smaller version of the Macan. Certainly don't want an overly practical shape though. With the absence of a Porker option then the XC40 is looking to be a likely contender at the moment.......
Yes and no. While the Cayenne is bigger on the inside, it's also bigger on the outside and I would compare it against the XC90 rather than the XC60. Again in that comparison the XC90 wins comfortably on space, but I don't necessarily want such a large car to park and drive. Other alternatives with the Macan wheelbase manage to create more interior space with sharp looking styling, so it isn't impossible. I don't believe a practical shape means it has to be ugly either. The Macan looks good, but no better than some of its more practical competition IMO. It still looks like an SUV and nothing like a sportscar, so what's the point in having such a raked back compromising the boot?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peterski

Just the vehicle for you

IMG_2706.JPG

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Perfect holiday destination too :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:33 am Peterski

Just the vehicle for you
IMG_2706.JPG
:lol: Except wife doesn't do camping/glamping. A friend of ours just bought one of those to haul his track day bike around.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Then you might like to wait for the new VW EV to go on sale.

IMG_2708.JPG

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Peteski wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 am I think with the next Macan I'm hoping Porsche will address some of the obvious compromises. All it needs is a bigger boot and a little more rear legroom and then it would be a no-brainer choice for me! It could still look great with a more practical shape as others have proven.

I agree that you seem to be describing a Cayenne here! ;)

It really is not much bigger than a Macan. Less than 7" longer and just over half an inch wider!

The XC90 is noticeably bigger than the current Cayenne in length, width and height. It's nearly a foot longer than a Macan and 6" taller.

The new Cayenne could be the car for you, and it seems to have inherited some Macan design features too! :ugeek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:57 pm
Peteski wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:21 am I think with the next Macan I'm hoping Porsche will address some of the obvious compromises. All it needs is a bigger boot and a little more rear legroom and then it would be a no-brainer choice for me! It could still look great with a more practical shape as others have proven.

I agree that you seem to be describing a Cayenne here! ;)

It really is not much bigger than a Macan. Less than 7" longer and just over half an inch wider!

The XC90 is noticeably bigger than the current Cayenne in length, width and height. It's nearly a foot longer than a Macan and 6" taller.

The new Cayenne could be the car for you, and it seems to have inherited some Macan design features too! :ugeek:
If you go off length and width, we have:-

Macan L 184.3" W 76.1"
XC60 L 184.6" W 74.9"

Cayenne L 191.1" W 78.7"
XC90 L 194.9" W 79.1"

So basically the Macan is the same physical external size as an XC60 (my preferred size) and an XC90 is a bit bigger than a Cayenne. But in reality the Cayenne seems barely any bigger inside than the smaller XC60 and has much less space than an XC90. If I'm forced to go for a big SUV, then I'd really want the space that the XC90 provides. But I need to have another look at the Cayenne boot space. From memory, it didn't seem that impressive but I haven't taken much notice of it recently. When we tested a Cayenne for the weekend 3 years ago (pre-facelift diesel) I really enjoyed it and there was plenty of cabin space, but we didn't load up the boot fully. Dynamically it was okay, but nothing spectacular. My daily drive then was a 997.2 C4S, so probably a bit unfair.

It is tempting to wait for the new Cayenne, which promises more interior space on a fairly compact wheelbase (for its class), but not sure I can wait that long. I'll speak to the OPC to see what the lead times are. If it's going to be the middle of next year, then I'm probably not going to wait and will consider it again in another 3 years time when I next plan to change. On the plus side, depreciation is likely to be minimal on early cars so it could end up being super cheap to run for a couple of years. That could even tempt me to wait, but I want to be in a bigger car for next summer so we can make full use of it.

Meanwhile I'm testing the XC60 this weekend, so I'll see how that goes. I'm not expecting it to be thrilling to drive, but I do expect it to be comfortable and refined and without all the pitching and rolling of the old XC60 (which ruled it out for me last time I tested one).