Volvo XC60 / XC90 hybrid test drives

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I will be testing the T5 (no T8 available until Sept) so brake feel will be irrelevant. But should give a good feel for the ride and handling and obviously the interior. The test car is on steel springs and I think 19" wheels if they are standard. Ride on the optional air suspension is supposed to be very similar. The T8 is on air and 20" rims as standard. I'm certainly not going to order a T8 without first driving one, but this will give me a taster as to whether I'm interested at all.

goron59

Post by goron59 »

^^ me too, but made sure they had a 90T8 so I could at least check out the drive train.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:23 am ^^ me too, but made sure they had a 90T8 so I could at least check out the drive train.
Unfortunately, they have just sold their 90T8 demo. So will have to wait or visit another dealer. But I'll see how this goes first.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

There is also the samller Volvo XC40 being added into the mix.

Supposedly X1, Q3 sized which for me is just about right in terms of dimensions.

Lets hope that this one will be available in a hybrid version.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:54 am There is also the samller Volvo XC40 being added into the mix.

Supposedly X1, Q3 sized which for me is just about right in terms of dimensions.

Lets hope that this one will be available in a hybrid version.
No doubt there will be ( T5 with 180 hp), probably a pure EV version too. Only a matter of time.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Volvo have said that their entire range will go hybrid, though not necessarily T8 (with the 320HP I4). Right now the hybrid, I think, is S90, XC90 and XC60. The 40 doesn't actually exist yet, so who knows what that will be.
Deleted User 1874

I read in Autocar that there will be an XC40 T5 with 106 hp petrol + 74 hp electric motor. Also the usual petrol and diesel options. Sounds pretty reasonable if not exactly exciting. If I was in the market for a Qashqai sized SUV then I'd certainly take a close look.
Deleted User 1874

I tested an XC60 T5 at the weekend. I would say it exceeded my expectations on handling. Cornering was pretty flat and no pronounced pitching under braking like the old model. Plenty of grip too on 19" rims. Ride was firmer than I had expected from reading reviews, but in a good way. I didn't get to test it over the worst of our potholes, but there was no crashing or jarring over any of the roads I took it. While the handling felt reasonably sharp and controlled, the steering was indeed totally lifeless and over-assisted for my taste. Not a show stopper on this type of vehicle, but could have been much better. At least the steering wheel itself felt nice in the hands!

The interior is very nice indeed and easily matches or exceeds rivals in quality. it leaves you in no doubt that you are in a premium cabin and the seats are super comfortable. The tech was a little overwhelming to be honest and I only scratched the surface of its features as I was concentrating on the drive, but the touchscreen looks classy and easy to navigate. Cabin and boot space are generous too. I easily managed to fit 3 large hard cases in the boot with a little room to spare. For me this is where it beats the similar sized Macan by a significant margin.

The 4 pot 254 hp engine felt strong but a bit strained at high rpm. Not an engine to get excited about, but certainly capable of moving when asked. I'm only really interested in the T8, which I would imagine is genuinely quick based on this T5 performance.

Overall I was impressed with the car, as was my wife. It's a huge step up from the old XC60 and for me a serious contender for a top quality family SUV. It looks sharp inside and out and doesn't disappoint on the move. I know quite a few reviews have criticised it for sloppy handling, but this one actually felt quite sharp when I threw it around a bit. Only let down slightly by the lack of steering feel.

I'm going to try an XC90 next weekend to see how it compares.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Good write up. Yes, the steering was super light, I know, but the 90T8 was better weighted. Whether it was because the car is bigger, or something else, I don't know.

The cabin is a nice place to be, isn't it?
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:20 pm The cabin is a nice place to be, isn't it?
Very much so. It's not easy to describe, just feels like you are sat in a very upmarket Scandanavian apartment. If you like Scandi style then it's almost perfect. From pictures I wasn't so sure about the oversized vertical vents, but in real life they work nicely and seem very quiet when blowing (maybe due to their large surface area?). This car had "Inscription" trim level, with the ventilated front seat option, so basically upper middle spec. I looked at the top level "Inscription Pro" trim on another car they had, which was even nicer with leather across the dash top and soft Nappa etc. Also really liked the look and feel of the light grey "driftwood" dash inlays instead of the usual metal or polished plastic. Unfortunately not an option on the XC90. The interior is top quality and definitely a big selling point for these new Volvos. I wasn't so keen on the "R-design" trim though. Too boy-racer for me.