Volvo XC60 / XC90 hybrid test drives

The place to discuss everything else..
Guy

Post by Guy »

Peteski wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:50 pm Yep, ordered a Model X 75D on Thursday, have until the 5th to be talked out of it!

Still a bit worried about the rear doors. Not because of reliability (they seem well sorted now) but more the spectacle when dropping the kids off at school! But otherwise it's very low key by big SUV standards. Also a very rare sight around Silverstone/Towcester, which I quite like. Actually that's one of the things I quite like about the Macan too, you don't see many in the wild even with the dealership and PEC right on our doorstep.
I just had to google the rear doors to see what the problem may be. I can imagine the embarrassment, especially when white van man comes swooping past and rips one off! Is it possible to open just the one on the near side? (EDIT: Of course it is - but still a faff!)

Guy

Post by Guy »

... but if your kids are at Stowe you'll be fine :lol:
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Guy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:12 pm ... but if your kids are at Stowe you'll be fine :lol:
:lol: Can't afford Stowe now I've bought this!

Definitely only going to open the kerbside rear door on the roadside too. But aside from the potential issues, they do make it amazingly convenient to get kids in/out of car seats. Totally eliminates all that awkward ducking and leaning. Even at 6'1" you can simply walk straight under them without hitting your head. Another thing I noted is that the kids don't have to scrape past any doors when climbing in or getting out, so no more scuff marks and muddy footprints on the lower door panels.

What that video doesn't show is how you are supposed to get out of the conventional front doors in that ultra-close parking scenario??
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

jump over the front seats into the back......or have they got an ejection seat App for that!! :lol: :lol:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Tootling along a dual carriageway going into Liverpool late Sunday night a huge dark shadow slowly passed me.

It was an XC90.

OMG they are huge.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:08 pm Tootling along a dual carriageway going into Liverpool late Sunday night a huge dark shadow slowly passed me.

It was an XC90.

OMG they are huge.
Same footprint as a Cayenne, but probably a fair bit taller. It is pretty big for sure, but at least you get the space inside to match! XC60 is much lower and shorter as you would expect. Both feel very airy inside compared to the Macan and Cayenne in their respective sizes.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Peteski wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:50 pm Still a bit worried about the rear doors. Not because of reliability (they seem well sorted now) but more the spectacle when dropping the kids off at school! But otherwise it's very low key by big SUV standards. Also a very rare sight around Silverstone/Towcester, which I quite like. Actually that's one of the things I quite like about the Macan too, you don't see many in the wild even with the dealership and PEC right on our doorstep.

Does a red carpet unfurl, with disco lights, when the rear doors open?! :lol:

I would have thought that the Silverstone area would have been fairly heavily populated with Macans, and Porsches in general, but always nice to be driving a fairly rare vehicle. Not seen another Carmine Red 2017 Panamera on the road during 9,000 miles and 6 months! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Guy wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:59 pm
Peteski wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:50 pm Yep, ordered a Model X 75D on Thursday, have until the 5th to be talked out of it!

Still a bit worried about the rear doors. Not because of reliability (they seem well sorted now) but more the spectacle when dropping the kids off at school! But otherwise it's very low key by big SUV standards. Also a very rare sight around Silverstone/Towcester, which I quite like. Actually that's one of the things I quite like about the Macan too, you don't see many in the wild even with the dealership and PEC right on our doorstep.
I just had to google the rear doors to see what the problem may be. I can imagine the embarrassment, especially when white van man comes swooping past and rips one off! Is it possible to open just the one on the near side? (EDIT: Of course it is - but still a faff!)

One thing about the Tesla that gives a bit of concern and that is quite a lot of our multi story car parks have pretty low ceilings or pipework and electrical trunking all over the place and maybe some contact will occur.

I really fail to see just why the expensive gulwings were designed in compared to standard or even a sliding set of rear doors.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I seem to remember reading that the car has sensors and adjusts the opening height of the doors accordingly to avoid such problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Hawkeye wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:27 pm I seem to remember reading that the car has sensors and adjusts the opening height of the doors accordingly to avoid such problems.
It has sensors, yes, there are complaints that the doors won't open enough even when there is plenty of room.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR