Volvo XC60 / XC90 hybrid test drives

The place to discuss everything else..
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Volvo UK dropped off this in the morning...

Will pen some thoughts next week after it goes back on Monday. Certainly looks very smart.

IMG_6451.JPG

IMG_6453.JPG

IMG_6454.JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Looks very nice. 😎 Do you have time to do much work between test driving different cars?! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:50 pm Looks very nice. 😎 Do you have time to do much work between test driving different cars?! ;)
No...which is a small problem... :?
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Unless you happen to be a motoring journalist...!! :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Looks very nice inside and out. Be interesting to see what you thought of the hybrid drive.
LLL

Post by LLL »

XC60 looks nice inside/out, but the drivetrain is just so bad that I don't know where to start. Had the opportunity to test one couple of weeks ago.

For those not used to electric cars and how pleasant the drivetrain could be probably will accept the jerky harsh ride, tiny 4-cyl engine that sounds strained, unresponsiveness, etc. The fuel consumption on those is hideous also and it will be difficult to get below 12l/100km.

Fully electric cars can't come soon enough. People have just not started to understand how great they are. In a few years most people will have completely changed their mind though and ICE cars will be considered pre-historic and socially unacceptable if considering one when buying a new car. Give it 5 years.
Deleted User 1874

A bit harsh Luke, but I agree with your points. My back-to-back XC90 T8 vs Tesla Model X drive was more than enough to convert me to EV in a car like this. For me ICE is now dead in the water. I'll still probably always own an ICE classic sports car of some kind just for the sound, but that's about it. With the likes of the latest Cayman moving to naff sounding 4 pots (as TG reminded me last night), they may as well go EV too and probably will over the next decade.
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Luke wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:41 am Fully electric cars can't come soon enough. People have just not started to understand how great they are. In a few years most people will have completely changed their mind though and ICE cars will be considered pre-historic and socially unacceptable if considering one when buying a new car. Give it 5 years.
And with it, the sooner people can buy autonomous cars, the better. The number of "drivers" on the roads not concentrating on driving is scary. The computers will be a much better choice for those "drivers" (and consequently, hopefully, for the rest of actual drivers). :lol:
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Deleted User 1874

Semi-autonomous is not a bad compromise at this point and again Tesla appear to have a pretty strong system - although I haven't had any real experience of the alternatives, such as the latest Volvo system. But I think there are still many issues to overcome with full autonomous driving, both technical and legal.
LLL

Post by LLL »

Peteski wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:32 pm A bit harsh Luke, but I agree with your points. My back-to-back XC90 T8 vs Tesla Model X drive was more than enough to convert me to EV in a car like this. For me ICE is now dead in the water. I'll still probably always own an ICE classic sports car of some kind just for the sound, but that's about it. With the likes of the latest Cayman moving to naff sounding 4 pots (as TG reminded me last night), they may as well go EV too and probably will over the next decade.
I know my messages can sound a bit harsh from time to time and my apologies for that. But you have to bare with me that english it not my mother tongue :)

Fully agree that ICE is relevant in the sports car world when combined with a REAL engine that sounds great. A flat six N/A Porsche engine is epic and also old sports cars. The essence of what I ment is that diesels, 4 cylinder engines etc in people movers that sounds bad, unresponsive, pollute, etc will just not make sense at all in a few years when EVs are available to the masses.

It's even dangerous to jump into an ICE car when you're used to electric :lol: . When you push the accelerator button it just takes ages before anything happens ;)