The End of the Petrol Head?

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The Government has jumped on the bandwagon and announced the banning of all Petrol and Diesel vehicles by 2040.

They have also said they have a £255M fund to aid councils reduce polution.

Beggars belief that our leaders have any concept of transporting people and goods around the country.

Cars are one thing to convert to fully electric but how on earth are the truck manufacturers going to produce a HGV that can haul 44 Tonnes of goods from one end of the country to another without overly frequent recharging stops.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

goron59

Post by goron59 »

With luck, and 22 years of development, this might be the answer.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/f ... an-etruck/
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Or find an EV that can tow a caravan - if I'm allowed to use that word on here. 😬
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

It may do the opposite for a while - the inability to buy new petrol cars from 2040 may inspire a whole number of petrol heads who buy secondhand to keep to remind themselves of the great joy they bring...
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Isleaiw wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:09 pm It may do the opposite for a while - the inability to buy new petrol cars from 2040 may inspire a whole number of petrol heads who buy secondhand to keep to remind themselves of the great joy they bring...
Absolutely. And most people worried about this will be dead by then, so does it matter... ? :oops:
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Isleaiw wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:09 pm It may do the opposite for a while - the inability to buy new petrol cars from 2040 may inspire a whole number of petrol heads who buy secondhand to keep to remind themselves of the great joy they bring...
Do I detect asset 'appreciation' coming down the road?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

This news backs up my previous post that an announcement would be made following the election which would remove a lot of the doubt surrounding the immediate future of modern diesel cars and if anything begin to reverse the current negative sentiment towards them by removing rumour and uncertainty.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I see Michael Gove's face plastered all over these news articles.

I wonder whether we should read anything into that....
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

goron59 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:25 pm Absolutely. And most people worried about this will be dead by then, so does it matter... ? :oops:
Speak for yourself. I will be 76 in that year - maybe still working with the way retirement age is going....
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Dandock wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:04 pm Or find an EV that can tow a caravan - if I'm allowed to use that word on here. 😬
Just goes to show every cloud has a silver lining :D
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50