The End of the Petrol Head?

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Had similar happen to me.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

happy days wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:49 am One other option of course, is a rechargable battery pack which you simply replace.
We're talking here about 100Kg+ of packs situated under the floor. There isn't going to be anything you can simply replace.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Peteski wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:07 pm We're talking here about 100Kg+ of packs situated under the floor. There isn't going to be anything you can simply replace.
This is not impossible. My other half's handbag normally weighs that much.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I was talking to an acquaintance on Saturday who claimed to be the first person to buy a Lexus hybrid - 14 years ago - and its still going strong with, he said, no tangible drop in output or battery life and no intention of getting rid any time soon.

Now thats seriously bad news for the battery manufacturers. I read that Panasonic are currently loosing money on every pack sold to Tesla!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Peteski wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:07 pm
happy days wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:49 am One other option of course, is a rechargable battery pack which you simply replace.
We're talking here about 100Kg+ of packs situated under the floor. There isn't going to be anything you can simply replace.
Although they are unlikely to pursue it because they don't actually see the need for it, it certainly can be done. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5V0vL3nnHY
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Pete wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:10 pm
Peteski wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:07 pm We're talking here about 100Kg+ of packs situated under the floor. There isn't going to be anything you can simply replace.
This is not impossible. My other half's handbag normally weighs that much.
And a full fuel load in my R8 was around 90kg.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

CharlesElliott wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:57 pm
Although they are unlikely to pursue it because they don't actually see the need for it, it certainly can be done. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5V0vL3nnHY
Interesting indeed, but can't see that happening on mainstream EVs. The infrastructure involved would be mind blowing. Perhaps in 2 or 3 decades, but certainly not overnight.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Not sure about infrastructure enormity. Surely, the garage stocks a few dozen standard battery packs and keeps them charged, so they end up swapping yours for a charged one and then charge yours.

Of course, it's not yours.. just a service item that you pay a fee for.

You can charge your own if you like. Or swap for a full one. Gotta be better than waiting for "30 mins" for an 80% charge bollox that Musk peddles.

Just means that carmakers have to agree on a standard cell pack format and make them quickly removable.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:20 pm Just means that carmakers have to agree on a standard cell pack format and make them quickly removable.
That's one of the major problems right there - standardisation. That and fitting them automatically to all sorts of different platforms. Not gonna happen in the next decade or two for sure! Maybe 30,40,50 years time if the tech is still even relevant then. It may work for niche platforms like Tesla, but I doubt that will really survive long term after the novelty wears off and people wake up to the actual overall cost involved. It's all well and good being a rich man's novelty toy, but that doesn't translate so easily to the masses.
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Tesla offers an S Model battery swap that takes the time to refuel an Audi Avant. It will cost though :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5V0vL3nnHY
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S