Tesla Model 3

The place to discuss everything else..
goron59

Post by goron59 »

There wasn't really much to learn from the Model 3 reveal yesterday.

The website https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/model3 is still more or less what it's bean for the last year.

"Over half a million orders though" and planned 10,000 per week production rate means it'll probably be the end of 2018 before they are all fulfilled.

By then they'll be onto the Model 4 :)

What I'd like to see is a spec/price sheet and a rollout plan for supercharger network in the UK, especially in places where there currently are none.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Saw that write up myself.

With such an order book no wonder all other manufacturers are scrambling for a piece of the pie.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Custard

Post by Custard »

I've read reports in the US press of a model 3 option that gives a range of over 300 miles. I don't see that option though on the UK Tesla site. If there was they'd have 500,001 model 3 orders, as I'd be plonking a deposit down right now!

A 300 mile range would absolutely do it for me, that means even after ten years of charging cycles, plus running air con/heater and lights, I'd still be able to drive from my South Coast home to the centre of London and back on a single charge. Add in the convenience/novelty value of autonomous driving on the dreary M3 and it's a pretty attractive prospect.
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

I had a really good look at a model S before opting for the Macan.

The trouble with the range is inconvenient things like hills, cold weather, roof racks etc etc all take their toll on range and when you factor in that you normally only charge to 80% means the advertised range is not achievable. On the model S once I factored this in and added things like pano roof (to take roof rack for ski's and bikes) leather etc etc I was looking at a car that was costing over £90K

It will be interesting what they claim for the 3 and its spec as I believe electric is the future - once a car manufacture starts building them seriously
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Custard wrote:I've read reports in the US press of a model 3 option that gives a range of over 300 miles. I don't see that option though on the UK Tesla site. If there was they'd have 500,001 model 3 orders, as I'd be plonking a deposit down right now!

A 300 mile range would absolutely do it for me, that means even after ten years of charging cycles, plus running air con/heater and lights, I'd still be able to drive from my South Coast home to the centre of London and back on a single charge. Add in the convenience/novelty value of autonomous driving on the dreary M3 and it's a pretty attractive prospect.
In the Model 3 video from yesterday they mention the two different models. From memory the one with 310 miles range is $44k versus the standard model at $35k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

I read the article too. I like the idea of a Tesla but I'm concerned that the charging infrastructure isn't there and that when it is, it'll be no cheaper than petrol.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Macandriver wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:40 pm I read the article too. I like the idea of a Tesla but I'm concerned that the charging infrastructure isn't there and that when it is, it'll be no cheaper than petrol.
I have those doubts but if you get the Zap Map app you will find plenty of chargers.

Granted there is a long way to go to get a full infrastructure, but at least they have started.

Motorway service stations do seem to have Tesla Superchargers and the cost of using them is currently free according to the Tesla website.

When we had the club meet in Cheshire last year Arif came along in his i3 and blagged a free charge from the Hotels charging station.

How long these free charges will be available for is another matter.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Supercharger use is not free with the Model 3 though.

But then, with the £50,000 saving from not buying a Model S, you can probably afford to buy your own electricity :)
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Having a read of https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/mod ... ations-faq
  • The initial rollout will start at $49,000 with a "Long Range Battery", RWD and "premium upgrades".
  • That initial rollout will include just three customisation options: "wheel size, exterior color and Autopilot features."
  • "Additional configurations, including the Model 3 with standard equipment for $35,000, will become available as production ramps, which we expect to be in November 2017"
  • "The Standard Battery configuration will be available very soon [after October]"
  • "Every country has its own set of rules and regulations, which means that we effectively must build a different car for different markets. This means international Model 3 deliveries will begin in late 2018, contingent upon regulatory approvals, starting with left-hand drive markets, followed by right-hand drive markets in 2019"
  • Model 3 comes standard with the hardware necessary to utilize the global Tesla Supercharger Network. A small fee will apply for Supercharging—which is only a fraction of the cost of gas.
So decent spec Model 3 with "Long Range Battery" (I'm guessing that's the 300 mile one) will be at least $49k will likely be a lot more for RHD markets and you can't have one until 2019, and you need to give Tesla $1000 now.

I wouldn't be surprised, if you could get a Mission E in the UK before a Model 3
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I ordered early on launch day in 2016, so we’ll see......deposit is fully refundable so no commitment.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8