Tesla Model 3

The place to discuss everything else..
wilko

Post by wilko »

I test drove a model S before I bought the macan, and whilst the tech is very impressive, the £125,000 price tag (to the spec I wanted) wasn't.
Take the $50k and it'll convert to £50k +vat, for which you'll get an interior similar to the quality of a £30k 3 series or c class.

By 2040, the whole world can change and come full circle again, so I'm going to wait it out, and if needs be, buy 3-4 big petrol engined cars in 2039 to see me out.

There's no economic argument to buy an electric vehicle for cost savings on fuel, unless its a cheap electric car (Zoe etc) or the price of fuel goes up massively, which is unlikely, as demand goes down (more electric vehicles) price is likely to come down.

There's no environmental argument for them either, as until we stop relying on fossil fuels for our power generation, we're only moving where the pollution is emitted, and actually increasing it when you compare the eficciency of an IC engine to power plant, transmission losses, battery charge losses etc)

The only argument for them is to reduce pollution in big citys which is only a problem for those who chose to live in big citys. It's a choice. If you value good air quality, don't live in a big city.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wilco wrote.....There's no economic argument to buy an electric vehicle for cost savings on fuel, unless its a cheap electric car (Zoe etc) or the price of fuel goes up massively, which is unlikely, as demand goes down (more electric vehicles) price is likely to come down.
I think your logic is flawed.

As demand for petrol goes down, less sales will result in higher production costs per sales unit, this in turn will be reflected in the fuel cost at what pumps remain.

In other words the cost of petrol fuel will go up.

Coupled with probably Government desire to cut pollution there tax on polluting fuels will moke than likely go up considerably.

Actually to reduce City pollution the best way would be to live near where you work in order to walk to work or cycle. Moving out to the Country, will result in more transport infrastructure being required and hence more pollution from the production of materials, the building, the operation of the system not mention getting from home to the nearest transport hub. Its just moving the source of the pollution.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

wilko wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:33 am The only argument for them is to reduce pollution in big citys which is only a problem for those who chose to live in big citys. It's a choice. If you value good air quality, don't live in a big city.
Not just big cities. Many, if not all, towns are struggling with the issue: Cheltenham, for example, pop. 110K.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Not just big cities. Anywhere within a mile or two of a motorway, so every commuter village.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
wilko

Post by wilko »

I live in a city. I drive 3 miles to work. Work does not have to be in cities, and most of my employees who live any distance from work, work from home as much as possible.
My kids get walked too and from school. They seem to be in a minority in a local primary with a small catchment.
Very few people who work in big cities don't commute a significant distance across the city to get to work. For everyone walking to work, there's a massive number of people driving.
I'm still going to wait it out.
If there was any real drive by policy makers , we'd all be talking about and driving Zoes. Not talking about overpriced, brick like depreciating teslas.

The simplest solution to pollution in city's is to make driving prohibitively expensive. Force people to use public transport or walk/cycle to work, by making it economically impossible to drive to work. In recent years, whenever fuel prices have risen to the £1.40-1.50 a litre region, the number of miles driven has dropped significantly.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
goron59

Post by goron59 »

If anyone produces an argument in a single sentence , it's going to be naive at best. Dumbing things down just makes it dumb.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I worked in central London in a Government office block with 3000 others.

There is no way I, nor anyone else could afford to live near the office.

A one hour commute was the norm, with others commuting on a daily basis from as far away as York, I myself did a 250 mile weekly commute.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I worked in central London in a Government office block with 3000 others.

There is no way I, nor anyone else working there could afford to live near the office.

A one hour commute was the norm, with others commuting on a daily basis from as far away as York, I myself did a 250 mile weekly commute with a 3/4 hour daily commute from the garot that I lived in when in London.

There is no easy solution to reduce polution in Cities like London other than the use of a big hammer, that is by banning all polluting vehicles but that then raises masses of other issues.
Col
Macan Turbo
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Strange, part way through typing the last post my iPad hiccuped and it posted all by itself, it then would not let me edit my post.

So sorry if it looks kind of dumb, twas not my fault.
Col
Macan Turbo
LLL

Post by LLL »

True in many ways although a bit exaggerated:

https://cleantechnica.com/2017/07/30/te ... -everyone/

Model 3 is a game changer.