Disappearing Porsche Diesels?

The place to discuss everything else..
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, BeeMac.

I can only see the Macan SD which has 254bhp. :geek:

The Cayenne SD still appears on the configurator, but not the base Cayenne Diesel.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

goron59

Post by goron59 »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:55 pm Welcome, BeeMac.

I can only see the Macan SD which has 254bhp. :geek:

The Cayenne SD still appears on the configurator, but not the base Cayenne Diesel.
Cayenne Diesel still there on French, Spanish, Belgian, Austrian, etc configurators.

Weirdly, the "Cayenne Diesel" in most places is 262PS but the one in Belgium is 211PS - I'm surprised it can move!

Lots of variety around :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Guy wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:00 pm Honest John advice column is here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/ ... nest-john/

And perhaps it was this Q&A that you remembered:

Q: You have often written of the increased cost of diesel cars after three years. Can you be more specific about what might need doing? I run a Mazda CX-5 AWD diesel. TC

A: DPF clogged with soot: £200 for a forced regeneration. Eolys system replacement: £500. DPF filled with ash: £350 for Ceramex to clean it out (+ removal, carriage and refitting) or anything from £600 - £1,500 to replace. EGR clogged: £600-£1,200 for a replacement. AdBlue heater failed: £600 for a replacement.

Just for clarity it was not that letter but a response in Honest John's column (Telegraph Saturday 12 th) where he made a general statement about Euro 6 diesels. I agree about his credibility but his point is still valid even if it is based upon perception ( perception affects value). After years of diesels I made the hard choice, post order, to change to petrol S. Frankly I don't care about residuals but I do want to have hassle free motoring. To me it seems preposterous that some people have endless problems with DPFs and I would question whether, in these cases, the car is fit for purpose.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

BeeMac wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 pm I was slightly surprised to read the posts about Panamera diesels being withdrawn from sale. I say that because I have a Macan SD currently on order and so I've been concerned about the possible impact of dieselgate, but when I visited the dealers at the weekend to enquire further I was told that Porsche UK had instructed dealers to remove all new Cayenne 3.0 diesels from the showroom floor and not to accept any further customer orders. However, although diesel Panameras have disappeared from the Porsche UK website, I notice the Cayenne is still there.
Meantime, does anyone have any clear information about whether or not the Macan SD is directly impacted by dieselgate? I've asked my local Porsche dealer for information but all they've told me is that, unlike the Cayenne, the SD has not been banned from sale in Germany. I've also been in touch with Porsche Germany, who confirmed the Cayenne sales ban and said the Macan was still available. I've asked Porsche (local dealer and German HQ) for information about how any 'fix' they might install would affect bhp, torque, fuel consumption etc but they have yet to respond. All very disappointing. Then tonight I notice that, in addition to the 'Macan S Diesel', a 'Macan S Diesel 245bhp' has magically appeared on the Porsche UK website. Could this be a software 'fixed' variant, I wonder? Might be nice if Porsche could actually be bothered to let their customers know what's going on.
Can you imagine the conversations going on at Porsche over this? I doubt you will ever get a straight answer to your questions. This must have caused havoc both on the production lines and design/development. Not to mention all the diesel engines they must now have sitting around with no car to fit them in. I expect there will also be plenty of political debate too as there is so much money at stake here. No doubt those engines will end up powering some vehicle or other in the end.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Of course they will. Engine development takes years and costs a fortune and is usually costed out over a number of years' production runs. As usual, everything comes down to money.
Macan S D
718 S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

There won't a large number of completed engines sitting around as they are built to order in a few hours and timed to meet the chassis on the assembly line. The assembly plants only hold about one day's worth of engine components in stock.

But I agree there's probably been a lot of late night meetings going on and we are seeing what appears to be some 'on the hoof' decisions being made.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:29 am There won't a large number of completed engines sitting around as they are built to order in a few hours and timed to meet the chassis on the assembly line. The assembly plants only hold about one day's worth of engine components in stock.

But I agree there's probably been a lot of late night meetings going on and we are seeing what appears to be some 'on the hoof' decisions being made.
Agree.

Also think some of these discussion were had some considerable time ago.
Once Diesel gate started it would not have been long after that they would of considered thier options.

So i would of thought what we are seeing has been on the agenda for some time. I am sure some other manufacturers will follow suit.
Look at BMW X3 that has only been Diesel only. The new model in a few months time when realeased will have Petrol opitons.

This has been on the agenda for some time.... We just have not been part of thier secret talks :o
GTS 😀
Guy

Post by Guy »

As Porsche does not develop or manufacture diesel engines itself, I would see that this could be more of a problem for Audi. Porsche will simply turn off the order book once current orders are satisfied.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Guy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:41 am As Porsche does not develop or manufacture diesel engines itself, I would see that this could be more of a problem for Audi. Porsche will simply turn off the order book once current orders are satisfied.
I thought the big V8 diesels were Porsche.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Guy

Post by Guy »

goron59 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:47 am
Guy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:41 am As Porsche does not develop or manufacture diesel engines itself, I would see that this could be more of a problem for Audi. Porsche will simply turn off the order book once current orders are satisfied.
I thought the big V8 diesels were Porsche.
I was just quoting what I read here: http://www.porsche.com/uk/aboutporsche/ ... &id=450138

Sounds more like 'passing the buck' in view of dieselgate!