Disappearing Porsche Diesels?

The place to discuss everything else..
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

General Diesel sales in the UK are down considerable this year to last. Last year they were 50/50.
This year has seen the Diesel decrease and is still continuing month on month.

I really do not think it will affect Porsche anywhere near as much as other manufacturers. Other manufacturers that had specific models only diesel are now releasing Petrol models like the new BMW X3. They have been planning this for some time imo.

Many diesel owners i know dont even do 12k a year so a petrol / EV is a no brainier currently based on the negative diesel reports still going on 2 years since the original news broke. The mpg costs over 12 months are not much when not doing the high miles to worry about imo.

Friends that have been die hard diesel for the last 12 years have switched to petrol based on their millage and worry over what thier car may be worth in a few years time.
GTS 😀

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

It's somewhat ironic that the fuel price differential in the U.K. is so little now - almost on par. In Europe too where traditionally there's been a significant advantage in gas-oil.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:21 pm
I really do not think it will affect Porsche anywhere near as much as other manufacturers. Other manufacturers that had specific models only diesel are now releasing Petrol models like the new BMW X3. They have been planning this for some time imo.
I still think the big family SUVs (Cayenne in particular) will take a big dive if there is no diesel option, at least in the UK and much of Europe. I think fuel costs will make people question whether or not they really do need a car of that size. It won't affect the top end Turbo sales of course, but what proportion of those make up total Cayenne sales?
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Peteski wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:36 pm
I still think the big family SUVs (Cayenne in particular) will take a big dive if there is no diesel option, at least in the UK and much of Europe. I think fuel costs will make people question whether or not they really do need a car of that size. It won't affect the top end Turbo sales of course, but what proportion of those make up total Cayenne sales?
But in the last 6 months alone diesel sales are well down and still going down for all car sales. If it continues then the majority of people just will not want a diesel.
They will purchase the same SUV but with Petrol or EV accordingly. The ones affected will be the high mileage users and based on my experiences with who i know own diesels they generally do less than 12k so the alternatives are perfectly acceptable.
If all the diesel scandals goes away there may be some hope but since the initial scandal broke 2 years ago its only been going 1 way unfortunately.

No doubt it may all go away once the next scandal comes out based on EV or Petrol. :shock:
GTS 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The big oil burning SUVs will still remain popular with the Chelsea, Cheshire, Ribble Valley tractor set and their likes elsewhere.

Its an image thing and also a big SUV is seen as a safe way to transport the family.

As they take their sprogs to that £25k + a year public school they are not going to give a RA about fuel, nor any City levy/conjestion charge or any other cost.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Kasfranks99 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:52 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:36 pm
But in the last 6 months alone diesel sales are well down and still going down for all car sales. If it continues then the majority of people just will not want a diesel.
They will purchase the same SUV but with Petrol or EV accordingly. The ones affected will be the high mileage users and based on my experiences with who i know own diesels they generally do less than 12k so the alternatives are perfectly acceptable.
If all the diesel scandals goes away there may be some hope but since the initial scandal broke 2 years ago its only been going 1 way unfortunately.

No doubt it may all go away once the next scandal comes out based on EV or Petrol. :shock:
I think where we differ is in what we think people will buy as an alternative if the big diesel SUVs disappear overnight. I think many people will seriously think about downsizing, except at the very top end where costs are a non issue or those doing very low mileage - and that's a pretty small market. Who knows, but we do know that diesels have been very popular in the large SUV sector and have probably been a big factor in their recent rise in popularity. When I was in the market for a Cayenne, the local OPC was pushing diesel practicality very hard, to the point of not even recommending a petrol Cayenne. EVs are not an option right now for a large SUV and Hybrids simply don't deliver the economy for most people. This may well change in time, but the political diesel demise is happening too early for those looking for decent fuel economy and range in a big SUV.
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:52 pm The big oil burning SUVs will still remain popular with the Chelsea, Cheshire, Ribble Valley tractor set and their likes elsewhere.

Its an image thing and also a big SUV is seen as a safe way to transport the family.

As they take their sprogs to that £25k + a year public school they are not going to give a RA about fuel, nor any City levy/conjestion charge or any other cost.
Those stereotypes probably never bought a diesel Cayenne in the first place - I thought that was the only point in Porsche even offering a Turbo Cayenne. Back in the real world, most "ordinary" folk would only consider the more practical diesel versions.