2 Years of Porsche

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 am
Wing Commander wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:24 pm
goron59 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:44 am Just the other day I was looking at a C4S with power pack that is (in my eyes), classier styling than the GTS, but GTS tech.. more expensive than the GTS though.

This, if you are curios. http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ1T8XK5

A GTS can look classy too. This is a GTS:
Yes, a GTS 4 with the same spec is very similar, but works out about £3k more expensive. But I think if I had a GTS it would be the RWD version and that's quite a bit cheaper. It just feels wrong to take a GTS trim level then "add" lots of options to make it look like a different one. The Carrera S Powerkit makes it rather confusing!
The Powerkit has always been very expensive and IMO not worth bothering with. In the real world it was not much different when I tested it on a 991.1. The standard car is plenty quick enough on the road. Since you don't like the GTS styling, you would probably be better off in a C2S. Personally I prefer the C4S for the wet and winter weather, but obviously more expensive.

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I only go for 4wd now. Last 7 + years have all been 4wd so very used to them and thier capapbilites.
Just gives me the extra confidence i need when driving in the wet and has certainbly come in handy on an icy night a few years ago.

Its a personal thing but i have not considered a non 4wd car.... With the exception of a classic car for occasional use :D

As Goron has mentioned 4wd costs more... :(
GTS 😀
Deleted User 1874

Kasfranks99 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:49 am I only go for 4wd now. Last 7 + years have all been 4wd so very used to them and thier capapbilites.
Just gives me the extra confidence i need when driving in the wet and has certainbly come in handy on an icy night a few years ago.

Its a personal thing but i have not considered a non 4wd car.... With the exception of a classic car for occasional use :D

As Goron has mentioned 4wd costs more... :(
I'm the same. I have a classic 2WD car, but it doesn't see wet or winter conditions. For anything with serious power used all year round I would only consider 4WD now. My last 2WD modern day 911 was a 996.2 C2 without stability control and while that was fine in the dry, it got quite leary in low grip conditions. By comparison my 997.2 C4S was rock solid in any conditions. It's actually quite hard to tell the difference between a C2S and C4S in the dry (although I marginally prefer the steering feel in the C4S with a little more weight over the front), but in the wet I think the C4S is well worth the extra money and they seem to hold their value amazingly well too.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

The reviews seem to say that more fun can be had in a 2wd 911, but clearly the 4wd variants have better grip & traction in wet/icy/snowy conditions etc. And it probably takes a skilled sports car driver to extract the most 'fun' from a 2wd car.

Several reviews of the 991.2 seemed to be saying that for a pure sports car version, a 'basic' C2 with manual gearbox may well be your best bet.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Yep, I'd consider a C4S only for practicality and the extra weight over the front axel helps with some of the classic 911 waywardness. If it was just for occasional fun, it would be RWD, and if it had a Porsche badge, a 981 series.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Pete

Post by Pete »

I also think the CS4 just looks better with that wider rear.
Deleted User 1874

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:16 pm The reviews seem to say that more fun can be had in a 2wd 911, but clearly the 4wd variants have better grip & traction in wet/icy/snowy conditions etc. And it probably takes a skilled sports car driver to extract the most 'fun' from a 2wd car.

Several reviews of the 991.2 seemed to be saying that for a pure sports car version, a 'basic' C2 with manual gearbox may well be your best bet.
The amount of "fun" you can have in any modern 911 is almost entirely limited by the stability control settings, not really 2WD vs 4WD. In a blind test on a dry road you'd have to know both cars intimately to be able to tell any difference at all, especially in typical real world road traffic conditions. In the wet or other very low grip conditions, even my wife can easily tell the difference between a 2WD and 4WD 911. That was actually one of the reasons we first switched. The problem with reviews is that they are usually full of cliches and written by hacks who think driving sideways around an airfield is an important part of the road test. If you want real "fun" in a 911, you need either a GT3 or any older 911 without the electronic nannies. All the rest pretty much drive themselves. Even the Turbo is ridiculously easy to drive fast, even in the wet.
Deleted User 1874

Pete wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 am I also think the CS4 just looks better with that wider rear.
Absolutely. The C4S has long been my favourite modern 911 in terms of looks. It seems to reflect well in residuals too. My 997 C4S didn't lose a penny in value in 3 years. Only cost to me was the OPC dealer margin.
happy days

Post by happy days »

I quite like a wide rear too...
Macan S D
718 S
Pete

Post by Pete »

There are days when I miss my old CS4

But I don't really miss having to de-ice the door windows before leaving for work and falling out sideways in the office car-park once I got there.