2 Years of Porsche

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Pete wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:34 am But I don't really miss having to de-ice the door windows before leaving for work and falling out sideways in the office car-park once I got there.
I'd forgotten about the iced windows issue! :lol:

happy days

Post by happy days »

I'm still falling out of the door in car parks.
Macan S D
718 S
Pete

Post by Pete »

It makes you wonder why Porsche didn't design branded knee-pads, doesn't it...
Deleted User 1874

What it needs is air suspension with about 2 feet of travel when parked.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Peteski wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:00 am What it needs is air suspension with about 2 feet of travel when parked.
:lol: :lol: :lol: And gull wing doors. The low models are ridiculously impossible to exit in a graceful manner!
Macan S D
718 S
Pete

Post by Pete »

I made the mistake once of sitting in a Cayman with sport seats. I almost had to call a passing SE to help pull me out.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

@peterski I'm pretty good at working out where the driven wheels are in a car, even in the dry.. hence my preferences
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:11 am @peterski I'm pretty good at working out where the driven wheels are in a car, even in the dry.. hence my preferences
In that case, what you will quickly notice in the dry is that a C4S is nearly all rear wheel drive and with electronic stability control it's almost impossible to tell when the FWD is actually engaged. If you drive a C2S and C4S back to back, the only thing you notice in the real world is a slightly heavier steering feel on the 4S (at least that was the case with the 997.2). Some prefer the heavier steering, others don't. I've only driven a 991.1 C4S and that felt much the same, I've never driven a 2WD 991 but I would be amazed if it drove significantly better or differently in the dry. As an aside there is nothing wayward about modern 911 handling with 2WD, it's as safe as houses. 4WD just makes it completely foolproof in any conditions.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

It easy to tell. You have more grip and traction with AWD.
Whether the ESP makes it obvious or not that it's shifting torque to the front is immaterial.

I agree with you that if you're a so-so driver and never explore the limits, it can be harder to spot.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:21 pm It easy to tell. You have more grip and traction with AWD.
Whether the ESP makes it obvious or not that it's shifting torque to the front is immaterial.

I agree with you that if you're a so-so driver and never explore the limits, it can be harder to spot.
A 2WD 911 Carrera in the dry has all the grip and traction you will ever need. It just doesn't run out of rear grip/traction enough to make FWD anything more than a token gesture in the C4S unless it rains. What is your driving background anyway? The vast majority of us are what you would call so-so drivers and that includes most car reviewers too. I've had this discussion before with a well known ex F1 driver linked to Porsche and his view was that modern 911s are becoming scarily easy to drive way too quickly for the road. He was commenting on a 997.2 Turbo S at the time. The electronics totally mask what's actually happening at the contact patches. Switch all that off and most drivers would be visiting the scenery within a few days.