Tesla model X

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

He went into the lane to go onto the Motorway so he is now on the M6 either at Forton Services near Lancaster or Charnock Richard near Leyland or Rivington on the M61 getting a top up of coffee whilst recharging the X.

That is assuming he could make it to either as all were about 12 miles from where he joined the Motorway.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I think "range anxiety" would spoil the fun for me. We've all had those moments when the fuel gauge is showing empty, freewheeling downhill toward the nearest petrol station, but I wouldn't enjoy doing that on a daily basis!
happy days

Post by happy days »

Peteski wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 am I think "range anxiety" would spoil the fun for me. We've all had those moments when the fuel gauge is showing empty, freewheeling downhill toward the nearest petrol station, but I wouldn't enjoy doing that on a daily basis!
Petrol station roulette, anyone?
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

happy days wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:50 am
Peteski wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 am I think "range anxiety" would spoil the fun for me. We've all had those moments when the fuel gauge is showing empty, freewheeling downhill toward the nearest petrol station, but I wouldn't enjoy doing that on a daily basis!
Petrol station roulette, anyone?
Once in my Jag I did roll into a filling station as the miles to go rolled down from 1 to zero.
Remember the Beamer i3 that I test drove had a range indicated greater at the end of the test drive than it was when I started.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

One of the things I would have to get used to with EVs is "journey planning". With a petrol/diesel you can simply jump in and set off, pretty confident in the knowledge that you can find some fuel anywhere along the way if necessary. The only management required is taking some notice when the petrol warning light comes on. I distinctly remember that day about 20 years ago when nearly all petrol stations ran out of fuel. I got caught out about 100 miles from home on a low tank and had to crawl through about 10 stations before finally finding some available petrol. At the end I was getting seriously worried that I would be stranded. Range roulette could become a regular game with EVs.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

We may be doomed to carrying 30kg suitcase sized Ankers for range extension 🤣
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:29 am One of the things I would have to get used to with EVs is "journey planning". With a petrol/diesel you can simply jump in and set off, pretty confident in the knowledge that you can find some fuel anywhere along the way if necessary. The only management required is taking some notice when the petrol warning light comes on. I distinctly remember that day about 20 years ago when nearly all petrol stations ran out of fuel. I got caught out about 100 miles from home on a low tank and had to crawl through about 10 stations before finally finding some available petrol. At the end I was getting seriously worried that I would be stranded. Range roulette could become a regular game with EVs.
I too thought that and even noted allthe current charge points that I saw between home in the North West and London.

Then I found the App called ZapMap which shows the locations of charging bays.

So nobody should really have any problem planning a journey.

Just have to allow that extra couple of hours on the commute to top up :o
Col
Macan Turbo
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:32 pm
I'm sure I could get used to it, but it's the fact that you have to plan anything at all in the first place that bugs me a little! It wouldn't be a problem at all for my daily routine pottering around local roads, charging at home in-between, but not sure I'm ready for long haul EV driving just yet!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:32 pm
Peteski wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:29 am One of the things I would have to get used to with EVs is "journey planning". With a petrol/diesel you can simply jump in and set off, pretty confident in the knowledge that you can find some fuel anywhere along the way if necessary. The only management required is taking some notice when the petrol warning light comes on. I distinctly remember that day about 20 years ago when nearly all petrol stations ran out of fuel. I got caught out about 100 miles from home on a low tank and had to crawl through about 10 stations before finally finding some available petrol. At the end I was getting seriously worried that I would be stranded. Range roulette could become a regular game with EVs.
I too thought that and even noted allthe current charge points that I saw between home in the North West and London.

Then I found the App called ZapMap which shows the locations of charging bays.

Just have to allow that extra couple of hours on the commute to top up :o
I'm sure all the dentists and docs will be tearing their hair at the thought of all the extra coke and coffee that will be consumed.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
happy days

Post by happy days »

Hmmm. I suppose that if you are in an EV and you are planning a route using ZapMap you will have to assume that there will be an empty charging point when you get there? What happens if you arrive just as a fellow EV'er has just plugged in and you will have to wait until his / her car is charged before you can plug in?

Also, if they dander off to do a bit of sightseeing, what would the etiquette be of removing the charge cable while they're not there? Also how do you tell when the battery is topped up? Does the charge point give an indication? Also, is the charge cable just plugged in or is it actually locked onto the vehicle? I've often thought that very bold people might unplug them if the car is unattended. Not me, obviously, but the thought has crossed my mind! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Macan S D
718 S