Tesla model X

The place to discuss everything else..
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Good to hear that Tesla seem to have upped their game. 👍

As you say, I gather that the very earliest new Cayennes will arrive for UK customers in April (Cayenne, Cayenne S and possibly the Turbo...). I would guess that a hybrid will be some way behind that. Virage may know more...? :geek:

I have always liked the XC90 and think the newest version looks pretty cool. I test drove the original XC90, but had to settle for an XC70, as the lead time for the XC90 was too long (when selected from my company car list back then).

Enjoy the XC90 tomorrow. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

I can't guarantee but I think Hybrid will be officially launched in December...not sure what that means for deliveries but if we follow the same lead time for first U.K cars that would be June delivery onwards.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Went and had a sit in the X model a couple of weeks ago. I was quite impressed. Plenty of room and that's me at 6'7".
GTS \o/ - sold :(
johnd

Post by johnd »

Virage11 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:14 pm I can't guarantee but I think Hybrid will be officially launched in December...
Must admit that I don't really know how hybrids are classified or configured. I'd like to think that the petrol engine supplies the base load so to speak and then battery power can give you hopefully a considerable extra kick when strong acceleration is needed, with the battery recharging progressively as soon as the demand for acceleration has passed. So the petrol engine can be significantly smaller than otherwise required and hence better consumption and emissions without compromising the available power (obviously assuming that the demand for acceleration is only intermittent). In other words not dissimilar to a modern F1 car though using batteries rather than supercaps (which I'm guessing are used for the energy store in F1).

The ability also to recharge the battery from the mains (plug-in hybrid) and to run for a few miles on battery power only (eg for city centres) would be nice to have, but secondary to achieving better consumption etc. But maybe this doesn't really pan out in practice.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

johnd wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:45 pm
Virage11 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:14 pm I can't guarantee but I think Hybrid will be officially launched in December...
Must admit that I don't really know how hybrids are classified or configured. I'd like to think that the petrol engine supplies the base load so to speak and then battery power can give you hopefully a considerable extra kick when strong acceleration is needed, with the battery recharging progressively as soon as the demand for acceleration has passed. So the petrol engine can be significantly smaller than otherwise required and hence better consumption and emissions without compromising the available power (obviously assuming that the demand for acceleration is only intermittent). In other words not dissimilar to a modern F1 car though using batteries rather than supercaps (which I'm guessing are used for the energy store in F1).

The ability also to recharge the battery from the mains (plug-in hybrid) and to run for a few miles on battery power only (eg for city centres) would be nice to have, but secondary to achieving better consumption etc. But maybe this doesn't really pan out in practice.
The way the XC90 hybrid is configured, the electric motor has two basic duties:-

1. Cruising around town silently without the petrol engine (zero emissions)
2. Boosting torque for maximum acceleration and quicker throttle response (as the electric torque input is instant)

You can also change the drive mode to prioritise either the electric motor, petrol motor or both for max performance.
In reality most current hybrids get the bulk of their power from the petrol engine and the electric motor is very much secondary (but adequate for low speed town driving). For example the XC90 hybrid has a 320 hp petrol motor up front and a 87 hp electric motor powering the rear axle. In any case, the extra electric torque is very handy and always available instantly, even if the petrol motor and gearbox need a little time to think before joining in. You really notice that when you kick down.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

When I drove the T8 XC90 it was briefly out of charge so was just a 320hp fwd vehicle. Still went well but you need to keep some charge in there for best performance, of course.

We drove around in “charge mode” to get the battery filled, but mpg suffered as a result.

To get the most benefit of the Volvo hybrid your journeys need to be mostly short and have somewhere to plug it in.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:18 pm When I drove the T8 XC90 it was briefly out of charge so was just a 320hp fwd vehicle. Still went well but you need to keep some charge in there for best performance, of course.

We drove around in “charge mode” to get the battery filled, but mpg suffered as a result.

To get the most benefit of the Volvo hybrid your journeys need to be mostly short and have somewhere to plug it in.
Without a doubt. This would be a totally pointless purchase for anyone doing daily long haul trips. You need to be plugging it in every 50 miles or so to see the benefits, which is actually okay for most of my personal usage. But say on a long trip, you are going to be out of electricity within the first hour for sure and much earlier if you actually want to cruise in electric mode. On my test drive it came about 3/4 charged and I blew through that in 50 miles or less of mixed driving. It's not a totally convincing solution, but workable on short trips with easy access to a plug.
Gazoak

Post by Gazoak »

I can't see Tesla conquering the world. I think they have a bland look to them like Japanese and South Korean cars. To get the range, I assume all the figures quoted are with all ancillaries switched off and no passengers. For me batteries are not the answer.
2016 Cayman S 981
2018 BMW M3 CP
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Gazoak wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:33 pm I can't see Tesla conquering the world. I think they have a bland look to them like Japanese and South Korean cars. To get the range, I assume all the figures quoted are with all ancillaries switched off and no passengers. For me batteries are not the answer.
+ 1
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver