Tesla model X

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Gazoak wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:33 pm I can't see Tesla conquering the world. I think they have a bland look to them like Japanese and South Korean cars. To get the range, I assume all the figures quoted are with all ancillaries switched off and no passengers. For me batteries are not the answer.
I agree about the bland generic looks, but they're starting to grow on me now I've had a closer look. They do make a lot of other cars look dated after a while. Real world range is certainly less than quoted, but still well ahead of the competition in full sized EVs. From what I've read the base 75 kWh battery is good for around 150 miles and 200 miles for the 100 kWh. I believe that's without making any special effort to drive economically and keeping a sensible 20% reserve.

Batteries certainly have their issues (manufacturing, disposal, charging infrastructure, geo-politics etc, etc. much like the challenges faced by the fossil fuel industry last century), but I have to say once you drive a Tesla it's hard to go back to a conventional IC engine/gearbox. The instant torque with no gearbox involved makes it a super responsive drive, not to mention how bloody quick it is! The P100D is hyper-car quick (sub 3 sec 0-60 mph) and even the lowest spec X 75D is now a genuine sub 5 sec 0-60 mph (down from 6 sec with the latest round of software and hardware updates) and rolling accel figures are even more impressive with the instant pick-up. Really makes the big petrol/diesel engined SUVs look like something out of the last century and they really need to catch up fast - which doesn't seem to be happening looking at what you can actually buy today. Tesla have at least a 5 year head start in this game and appear to be learning fast.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The reality of a high vehicle range between fill ups is relatively new.

Less than 200 miles was quite common twenty plus years ago.

Those of us who are bikers get used to less than 200 miles between fill ups.

So a range of 150-175 miles in an EV would for me be acceptable
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:56 pm The reality of a high vehicle range between fill ups is relatively new.

Less than 200 miles was quite common twenty plus years ago.

Those of us who are bikers get used to less than 200 miles between fill ups.

So a range of 150-175 miles in an EV would for me be acceptable
For me too, range is no problem. Also means no regular trips to the petrol station. Only time I'll need to charge on the road is on longer summer trips with the family and they like to stop every 150 miles or so anyway.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Model X to follow?

Tesla Discontinues Cheapest Model S, Further Widening Price Gap to Model 3 - The Drive
https://apple.news/AL7reGOpwQwifKWQBCq3KlQ
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I know this refers to the Model 3 but does it indicate where the whole range is going? It looks a lot like the typical techy overlord you can only buy the stuff from us routine.

Tesla Model 3 Currently Leaves Drivers Without FM Radio, Bluetooth or USB Audio - The Drive
https://apple.news/AykACm5R5SZGYtl2qZ04n3w
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:33 pm I know this refers to the Model 3 but does it indicate where the whole range is going? It looks a lot like the typical techy overlord you can only buy the stuff from us routine.

Tesla Model 3 Currently Leaves Drivers Without FM Radio, Bluetooth or USB Audio - The Drive
https://apple.news/AykACm5R5SZGYtl2qZ04n3w
That is so stupid.

So buyers will take their brand Model 3's to Halfords and have them fit a Kenwood/Pioneer/Sony media unit, Amp and speakers to their car.

Then for safety's sake they will install a Tom Tom Sat Nav unit with the knowledge that at least the Tom Tom is not going to kill them.

So the Model 3 is going to end up having a plethora of additional screens.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:27 pm Model X to follow?

Tesla Discontinues Cheapest Model S, Further Widening Price Gap to Model 3 - The Drive
https://apple.news/AL7reGOpwQwifKWQBCq3KlQ
I doubt it, the Model X is only available as a dual motor anyway. The base 75D has also very recently received a big power boost, bringing it very close to the 100D in performance. I'm sure they will continue to update battery specs and probably in time the 100 kWh battery will become the base model, but only once the price comes down and there is a better option available for their flagship models.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Ah ok. I thought the X had the same options as the S.
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:34 am Ah ok. I thought the X had the same options as the S.
No, the X has only 3 options, all dual motor (75D, 100D, P100D). Until very recently the 75D had considerably less performance than the 100D, but now they are almost on par, just less range. Looks like they are now consolidating the Model S options to match, which makes sense.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Be careful with the doors!

Tesla Model X Automatic Door Ripped Off By Passing Truck, Sparks Fight - CarBuzz
https://apple.news/ACBnjwVVgSjqftGo8tXtPEw