I think I'll take the cup of tea. ☕️

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Pete wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:05 am
Paul wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:32 am ....but it does go back to my own view of the hypocracy of hybrids......which carry on with petrol or diesel engines for a significant part of the journey. Either we ban fossil fuelled passenger vehicles, or we don't. They either pollute, or they don't. Or maybe hybrids are OK because they only kill you a little bit!
The pollution is being billed as a health hazard, so the restrictions are mainly aimed at reducing the pollution in the more highly populated areas (major towns and cities). So, people tootling around on electric power in population zones goes some way to reducing health risks.

This is what the government is attempting to achieve, it's not about global pollution.
I thought it was to do with meeting, or being perceived to meet worldwide (except Trumpworld) agreed targets.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:21 am
Peteski wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 am Never mind that, many homes lack a garage or even a parking space for their multiple cars. Most households have at least 2 cars or more.
We live on a Victorian terraced cul-de-sac. There are currently 3 empty properties (awaiting new tenants) and two residents without cars and a quarter of the street without any housing at all. Even allowing for the extra space around the turning circle at the end its quite common not to be able to park outside our house.
Exactly and these are not issues that can be realistically resolved as far as "home charging for the masses" is concerned. Another solution is required i.e. replacing petrol stations with charging stations. Be a good time to invest in Costa Coffee I think :lol:
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:30 am
Peteski wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 am Never mind that, many homes lack a garage or even a parking space for their multiple cars. Most households have at least 2 cars or more.
We live on a Victorian terraced cul-de-sac. There are currently 3 empty properties (awaiting new tenants) and two residents without cars and a quarter of the street without any housing at all. Even allowing for the extra space around the turning circle at the end its quite common not to be able to park outside our house.
Exactly and these are not issues that can be realistically resolved as far as "home charging for the masses" is concerned. Another solution is required i.e. replacing petrol stations with charging stations. Be a good time to invest in Costa Coffee I think :lol:
It will not be an issue.

Come the 2040's all these Victorian Terraced properties will be demolished to make way for centralised urban EV charging parks.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:13 pm
Peteski wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:30 am

It will not be an issue.

Come the 2040's all these Victorian Terraced properties will be demolished to make way for centralised urban EV charging parks.

Over my dead body! :lol:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I would think that by 2040 only those with a garage or at least a drive will be allowed a car
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Rab J wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 pm I would think that by 2040 only those with a garage or at least a drive will be allowed a car
... because prohibition means they'll have to remain hidden. 👹👺😈
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Charging your car at home? Don't boil the kettle, says National Grid :roll: :oops: :? :o

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/c ... newsletter
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

What time do people who commute by car get home from work?

My guess is between 18:00 and 19:30.

Now if they have an EV what are they going to do, plug the thing in to charge.

What elese is happening in their home, the kitchen is in full swing making the meals, the TV is on, the computers are on, the lights are on, then the car gets plugged in.

This is only one home, when there are millions doing the same the lights will dim.

Digressing

I have a couple of battery powered remote control cars that I race around the garden with our Grandkids.

These have a battery pack to charge them.

Getting the picture, Elon Musk and Tesla has.

Home need to get smarter with solar power and battery storage systems.

The solar power charges the batteries and the batteries charge the car.

Minimal drain on the National Grid.

You can bet that car manufacturers are developing such a system themselves.

An expression I learned many years ago ........ there is nothing new under the Sun.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Paul wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:32 am ....but it does go back to my own view of the hypocracy of hybrids......which carry on with petrol or diesel engines for a significant part of the journey. Either we ban fossil fuelled passenger vehicles, or we don't. They either pollute, or they don't. Or maybe hybrids are OK because they only kill you a little bit!
That's like saying the chance of winning the euromillions jackpot is 50:50 - either you win or you don't.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Rab J wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 pm I would think that by 2040 only those with a garage or at least a drive will be allowed a car
There is a strong inverse correlation between population density and car ownership. (e.g. in rural parts, 30-40% of households have 2 cars, but in large cities, less than 5% have even 1 car.

There's also in inverse correlation between car ownership and availability of usable public transport.

Self-drivng vehicles on demand, or larger scheduled services of self-driving vehicles (e.g. taxis and buses) may indeed be the future.

Funny that the car gave people freedom to go where they please, when they please. This new trend in autonomy, banning vehicles from ever numerous zones, is killing that freedom.

There's always some megalomaniac at the root of these things, getting people to do unnatural things (and even getting them to want it!).
Hello Musk.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR