Porsche Dashcams

The place to discuss everything else..
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Paul wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:56 am I think (from the adverts I've seen) that the Citroen only captures "stills" - maybe that's the (legal) difference?
It does video too. only for 20 seconds though i believe
Amazing how its sold and marketed for social media and not security....

ConnectedCAM Citroën™ is a HD camera fitted behind the rear view mirror of your car that enables you to safely take pictures and videos of your journeys. With a single click, take a photo or video with your ConnectedCAM Citroën™ and share it with friends on social media (Facebook, Twitter) or by email .
GTS 😀

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The technology is bound to come but there is too much of a big brother is watching element for my liking. All the evidence is there both on other cars and of course you own driving.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

MCDK wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:49 pm The technology is bound to come but there is too much of a big brother is watching element for my liking. All the evidence is there both on other cars and of course you own driving.
The technology is already very much here, it just needs exploiting by the manufacturers. I suspect there are all sorts of legal issues to fight through though. Big brother has been watching us for years too. I don't actually mind having evidence from onboard car cameras. Much better than having to tolerate people lying in court.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I would rather have seperate dashcams than any integrated into the car itself by the manufacturer.

That way I can be sure(ish) of keeping control of the video and gps data.

I remember a Top Gear segment where Clarkson reported that the car manufacturer of the vehicle he was reviewing contacted him whilst he was driving on the Autobahn and asked him to slow down.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

Talking of Big Brother, the Car Connect apps on all the demonstrators are set to send an alert to the Sales Managers Apple Watch when the cars exceed the speed set on the Speed fence. This can be turned off on the MFD but no doubt this would raise questions why. I set a speed limit when my 991 went in for a warranty problem which led to some interesting conversations with some of the service personal and management
happy days

Post by happy days »

Hmmm. Those with an iPhone do this.

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Frequent Locations. Now take a wee look at what the manufacturers already know. And these are only the parts that they're letting you know about. Apparently Androids are worse. A work colleague was in France last week. Google Maps knew that he was on a bike, but thought he was skiing on the downhill bits!
Macan S D
718 S
Paul

Post by Paul »

happy days wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:15 pm Hmmm. Those with an iPhone do this.

Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Frequent Locations. Now take a wee look at what the manufacturers already know. And these are only the parts that they're letting you know about. Apparently Androids are worse. A work colleague was in France last week. Google Maps knew that he was on a bike, but thought he was skiing on the downhill bits!
" clear history" and green slider turned off on mine for some while now.....but only because someone told me the sane thing a year or so back......!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
microbe

Post by microbe »

I finally got my dashcam installed (same as in Col' s picture) and I am now wondering if there is some clever way of seeing what the camera is seeing when the car is being driven by someone else. The camera uses wi fi to send the picture to my phone (RORO CAM) but obviously only reaches a short distance.
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9
Guy

Post by Guy »

microbe wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:51 am I finally got my dashcam installed (same as in Col' s picture) and I am now wondering if there is some clever way of seeing what the camera is seeing when the car is being driven by someone else. The camera uses wi fi to send the picture to my phone (RORO CAM) but obviously only reaches a short distance.
If your car supports a wireless hotspot, and the camera can connect to the www via that then theoretically it's possible. My BlackVue has this function, but I don't use it: https://www.blackvue.com/blackvue-over-the-cloud/

What does the Dashcam manufacturer say?
microbe

Post by microbe »

Guy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:09 am
microbe wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:51 am I finally got my dashcam installed (same as in Col' s picture) and I am now wondering if there is some clever way of seeing what the camera is seeing when the car is being driven by someone else. The camera uses wi fi to send the picture to my phone (RORO CAM) but obviously only reaches a short distance.
If your car supports a wireless hotspot, and the camera can connect to the www via that then theoretically it's possible. My BlackVue has this function, but I don't use it: https://www.blackvue.com/blackvue-over-the-cloud/

What does the Dashcam manufacturer say?
I haven't asked as I got it from China. The message I get when I tune in on my mobile suggests not as I have to activate the connection each time.

I thought it would be a useful security feature as the camera is not obvious and probably wouldn't be noticed if the car was ever taken. Looks like I will have to rely on Porsche connect
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9