Porsche Dashcams

The place to discuss everything else..
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

There are many good dashcams available and dashcams have been discussed on the Forum. However, whilst I have seen good installations they all fall short of my requirement which is basically something that is nearly invisible. It begs the question if/when will vehicle manufacturers start to include them as factory built options. If you look at your surround view cameras it can't take much more to add high level cameras with a different capture angle and integrated with a DVR, or can it? Why not simply take the feed from the front and rear surroundview cams and feed them into a DVR? Does any manufacturer do this? I find the official Porsche view on warranty and dashcams a bit frustrating, albeit it wouldnt stop me fitting one if I could find an invisible version. Is anyone aware of any advancement in " invisible" dashcams perhaps factory fitted?

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I agree. It should just be an optional extra (another tick box) and saves onto an SD card.

My understanding is Citroen have a car with a dashcam supplied and fitted by them all built into the car. I am not aware of any other majour car manufacturer doing this... yet.

http://www.citroen.co.uk/about-citroen/ ... am-citroen

This will almost certainly become the norm in all cars in the not to distant future I am sure.

It will be the same as sat Navs. We all stuck them on our screens and used mobiles ( some still do) but now we have them built into the cars.

I would certainly pay for a factory fitted dashcam πŸ‘
GTS πŸ˜€
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If you go back and look at Nicks thread on dashcams then look at my posts you will see as invisible a dashcam as there is.

Mine replaces the plastic shroud at the base of the mirror.

This image is not mine but one I found by keying Porsche Dashcam into Google.

IMG_2722.JPG

Then the Amazon links gives another make

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BEIDOUYH-Recor ... e+dash+cam
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

I did see that thread, am just concerned that the quality of the plastic shroud is not the sane as the original?
microbe

Post by microbe »

I have one very similar to Col' s and it is almost impossible to tell the difference between the original shroud and the camera housing.
Porsche Macan S - www.porsche-code.com/PHH2H4S9
jk88

Post by jk88 »

Crazy diamond wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:25 pmWhy not simply take the feed from the front and rear surroundview cams and feed them into a DVR?

That wouldn't work as they are on the exterior of the car and get dirty very easily. The cameras would have to be on the inside with the other internally mounted cameras.

Not beyond the wit of man and as already mentioned, Citroen have recently introduced it on some models. Not sure Porsche will follow suit any time soon though as they tend to be automotive technology laggards (which is fine as I think we all appreciate them putting their efforts into making theirs cars drive brilliantly).
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Given the purpose of these things is partly to record evidence of criminal activity, having it visible is a good thing, as it acts as a deterrent.
Countries where people routinely install dash cams for many many years all have flashing indicators to draw attention to themselves.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
happy days

Post by happy days »

The surround cams have far too much fisheye in them - they won't capture anything in the distance. Plus they get filthy. A dash cam would need to be inside and look out through the swept area of the glass.
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:54 pm I agree. It should just be an optional extra (another tick box) and saves onto an SD card.

My understanding is Citroen have a car with a dashcam supplied and fitted by them all built into the car. I am not aware of any other majour car manufacturer doing this... yet.

http://www.citroen.co.uk/about-citroen/ ... am-citroen

This will almost certainly become the norm in all cars in the not to distant future I am sure.

It will be the same as sat Navs. We all stuck them on our screens and used mobiles ( some still do) but now we have them built into the cars.

I would certainly pay for a factory fitted dashcam πŸ‘
Totally agree. A lot of new cars already have a suitable internal camera fitted, typically used for traffic sign recognition or semi-autonomous driving. It would be a trivial step to offer a recording facility on such cameras. Maybe there are legal issues to overcome in various markets? But if Citroen are already doing it, then others should follow pretty quickly.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I think (from the adverts I've seen) that the Citroen only captures "stills" - maybe that's the (legal) difference?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465