More " News" about dieselgate

The place to discuss everything else..
Gazoak

Post by Gazoak »

[/quote]

Like me there is a choice, I have a petrol Macan, but if there was only diesel engines then it would have to be better than what is in the SD to get me to buy one.
[/quote]

I don't appreciate how you can say that about the Macan Diesel engine! It's quiet, quick and economical considering the cars size and out-performs most if not all diesel SUV competition.
2016 Cayman S 981
2018 BMW M3 CP

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Gazoak wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 am
Like me there is a choice, I have a petrol Macan, but if there was only diesel engines then it would have to be better than what is in the SD to get me to buy one.
[/quote]

I don't appreciate how you can say that about the Macan Diesel engine! It's quiet, quick and economical considering the cars size and out-performs most if not all diesel SUV competition.
[/quote]
I can say that very easily, I owned one but did not like it.

The SD falls way short in how it delivers the acceleration and power compared to an X3 35D.

The SD plateau's very badly at speed.

Put your foot down at speed and the pick up is slow, do the same in the Beamer (or old SQ5) and it flies.

The SD is 50-60 horses short of what is should be.

I had one and simply did not like the engine at all, I bought a showroom S that just happened to have the diesel engine which I did not really want.

Coupled with the fact that in comfort mode it is very sluggish in changing gears and pick up means that Sport mode is needed for most of the time.

Also mine was not economical achieving an actual consumption during my ownership period of only 33mpg.

The only reason the SD out performs other diesel SUVs is simply that in the UK the engine that is offered as the one of choice by all manufacturers is a 2.0 litre diesel of up to 200bhp.

Try driving a 3.0 litre diesel FPace, the power delivery is way better than a Macan SD, ride and handling fall well short but for straight engine performance the Jag wins.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 am
Gazoak wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 am
[/quote]
I can say that very easily, I owned one but did not like it.

The SD falls way short in how it delivers the acceleration and power compared to an X3 35D.

The SD plateau's very badly at speed.

Put your foot down at speed and the pick up is slow, do the same in the Beamer (or old SQ5) and it flies.

The SD is 50-60 horses short of what is should be.

I had one and simply did not like the engine at all, I bought a showroom S that just happened to have the diesel engine which I did not really want.

Coupled with the fact that in comfort mode it is very sluggish in changing gears and pick up means that Sport mode is needed for most of the time.

Also mine was not economical achieving an actual consumption during my ownership period of only 33mpg.

The only reason the SD out performs other diesel SUVs is simply that in the UK the engine that is offered as the one of choice by all manufacturers is a 2.0 litre diesel of up to 200bhp. The RR Evoke, is in the same class size wise as a Macan but has a max sized engine of said 2.0.

Try driving a 3.0 litre diesel FPace, the power delivery is way better than a Macan SD, ride and handling fall well short but for straight engine performance the Jag wins.
[/quote]
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I predict hybrid petrols will take over from diesels in the mid term. I agree with those who are saying that not many people will want a large petrol SUV in markets where petrol is expensive. Diesel engines made the likes of the Cayenne and Macan a more realistic option for high mileage drivers on a running cost budget. Sales figures of diesel Porsches in the UK strongly supports this. Hybrids should soon be able to rival diesel in terms of economy (they are not there yet for long haul driving), with the added benefit of zero emissions in town driving and often better performance. It will be interesting to see where Porsche puts their development now, but I wouldn't bet on them pursuing diesel for much longer. In the mainstream industry I expect diesel to soldier on for considerably longer until hybrid/EV costs come tumbling down.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Reading the news from the Frankfurt show today, one thing has struck me.

No diesels.
OK, I'm not exactly looking at the coverage from I Love Tractors Monthly, but still, none.

There was a couple of new Land Rovers, even they were petrol.
https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-bri ... 2017/36738

Lots of leccy cars and a few fun petrol hot hatches.

Maybe they're saving the diesels for tomorrow.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

Despite all this noise about diesels, the finance companies that put their money where their mouth is, still offer good deals on them - including the Macan where they've always had a higher residual than the petrol
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

Despite all this noise about diesels, the finance companies that put their money where their mouth is, still offer good deals on them - including the Macan where they've always had a higher residual than the petrol
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I think that the idea of 18mpg would put most of the idea of a full sized SUV. Sales would collapse without diesel engines. At the moment in the UK only a very small percentage are petrol. Its the comparatively decent economy / performance of modern diesel engines that has driven the rise in their popularity. It will be even worse on the continent where diesel can be 20% cheaper than petrol.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Its not stopping LR putting a V8 525bhp engine in a Disco, not upping the power of a 4 pot to 300bhp.

Credit where its due to JLR for considering petrolheads.
Col
Macan Turbo
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Yes very commendable of LR and the one I would be looking at but most SUVs are not driven by petrol heads, instead there driven by school run mums and those who just like the idea of something big and showy that doesn't break the bank to run.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50