More " News" about dieselgate

The place to discuss everything else..
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Rab J wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:13 pm I think that the idea of 18mpg would put most of the idea of a full sized SUV. Sales would collapse without diesel engines. At the moment in the UK only a very small percentage are petrol...

This is changing. Just checked figures for 2017 Macan registrations.

Petrol = 52%.
Diesel = 48%.

Breakdown:

SD = 886
GTS = 436
S = 252
Turbo = 137
2.0 = 93
Turbo PP = 35

:ugeek:

And my car is even rarer, with only 14 registered! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

General car diesel sales are down 20% month on month this year more or less. Petrol and EV are all up month on month more or less. These are facts.
This is not a porsche problem.
I think it will start to change for the Macan and we will see waiting list for petrol come down as the demand goes up.

Petrol Hybrid will bridge the gap.
I know too many people that do not do lots of miles that own diesels and all looking at alternatives.

If you do high millage I see the advantage of diesel.
If you have a Macan diesel I would think it's one of the best residual diesels around currently to end on a promising note.
Last edited by Kasfranks99 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTS 😀
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

The budget will be interesting on diesel, but it's a complete hornets nest and another Blair-brown shambles
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:46 pm General car diesel sales are down 20% month on month this year more or less. Petrol and EV are all up month on month more or less. These are facts.
This is not a porsche problem.
I think it will start to change for the Macan and we will see waiting list for petrol come down as the demand goes up...

As above, it has already started for the Macan, with the SD having moved from taking the lion's share of sales, to petrol Macan sales in the UK now representing the majority. Won't be long before GTS sales catch up with & overtake the SD. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Johnsmith wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:55 pm Despite all this noise about diesels, the finance companies that put their money where their mouth is, still offer good deals on them - including the Macan where they've always had a higher residual than the petrol
Used examples of, for example, 2014 Macans at OPCs wouldn't appear to reflect that with prices between £5-£10K more for petrol cars. Some if that may be because some of the oil burners have done more miles but even so... And numbers on the forecourt speak for themselves with diesels outnumbering petrol by more that 3 to 1.

Sorry, just checked today's figures so make that 5 to 1!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:07 am
Gazoak wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 am
Like me there is a choice, I have a petrol Macan, but if there was only diesel engines then it would have to be better than what is in the SD to get me to buy one.
I don't appreciate how you can say that about the Macan Diesel engine! It's quiet, quick and economical considering the cars size and out-performs most if not all diesel SUV competition.
[/quote]
I can say that very easily, I owned one but did not like it.

The SD falls way short in how it delivers the acceleration and power compared to an X3 35D.

The SD plateau's very badly at speed.

Put your foot down at speed and the pick up is slow, do the same in the Beamer (or old SQ5) and it flies.

The SD is 50-60 horses short of what is should be.

I had one and simply did not like the engine at all, I bought a showroom S that just happened to have the diesel engine which I did not really want.

Coupled with the fact that in comfort mode it is very sluggish in changing gears and pick up means that Sport mode is needed for most of the time.

Also mine was not economical achieving an actual consumption during my ownership period of only 33mpg.

The only reason the SD out performs other diesel SUVs is simply that in the UK the engine that is offered as the one of choice by all manufacturers is a 2.0 litre diesel of up to 200bhp.

Try driving a 3.0 litre diesel FPace, the power delivery is way better than a Macan SD, ride and handling fall well short but for straight engine performance the Jag wins.
[/quote]
All of us thousands of happy SD owners have obviously got it all wrong! :roll:
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

Absolutely Dandock, but dieselgate will only become a real issue when the pcp final value gets reduced and hence new diesel cars get a lot more expensive monthly
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

When I ordered my Macan S the diesel problems had just hit the press so it confirmed my choice of the petrol version. I'm doing about 10k miles a year since retiring and averaging overall just under 25 mpg. On long mainly motorway and dual carriageway journeys it's nearer 29mpg dropping to nearer 20 mpg driving around lincolnshire country roads using the performance when required to get past the tractors etc. I'm happy with my decision and to be honest I don't notice the additional fuel costs with my mileage.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The SD is not a bad car, no Macan is.

Tis thanks to the better economy and sales of the SD that has enabled the petrol Macans to be the cars they are.

The SD and base with their better fuel economy helps make the emissions targets for the model this results in better engine performance fron the 3/3.6 petrol engines.

It will be interesting in years three and four just how the ownership figures stack up for each variant.

I certainly expect ownership of the SD to be more expensive than a similar specified Petrol S, yes the SD will use less fuel but I firmly believe that the depreciation of the SD will be significantly more than the S and this will more than offset the lower SD fuel costs.

Presently an SD covering 10,000 miles a year will use £640 less fuel than my Turbo, I know which I prefer to drive.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Just seen on BBC Breakfast TV a report that the vaule of second hand diesel cars has dropped by an additional 6%.

Yet another nail.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags