iPhone X

The place to discuss everything else..
happy days

Post by happy days »

Sat through the 2-hour keynote yesterday expecting to be wowed by the 10th anniversary iPhone, the X. Most underwhelmed.

I can't see the need for augmented reality unless you're a gamer (plus I already have it in some apps, for identifying planets and stars), opening the phone via facial recognition isn't that much of a draw to me, and the camera updates aren't that brilliant for normal snaps. The new emojis are of no real interest to me, so I thinkI'll pass and keep to my usual pattern of a new phone every two years.
Macan S D
718 S

goron59

Post by goron59 »

I'm also on a 2-year cycle, but due a replacement now. Didn't watch the keynote, but skimmed the summaries.
New processor+GPU is good. Wireless charging handy. All that in the basic 8 and £1150 for the X at decent capacity is taking the piss a bit.
I'm not keen on OLED - the power drain on bright pixels means you end up with dark and dreary displays rather than enjoying its full dynamic range.

But the 2-year cycle thing... I usually get the S versions as it gives Apple time to iron out the bugs in the hardware. Nothing like 170 million people testing a product for that :)
But annoyingly, there is no 7S, it's straight to 8 and X, so maybe I should stretch out to 3 years and look for an XS/8S. My 6S+ is still absolutely fine, even running dev builds of iOS11.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Pete

Post by Pete »

My old Windows phone has iris recognition that worked pretty well (engineered by good old Nokia), but it did have a secondary unlocking mode (PIN) that worked pretty well.

Like make people, I'm wary of having the face fully unlocking the phone as sometimes I just want to look for notifications. Then again, I didn't sit through the keynote and not really read up on how it'll actually work.

I'm happy enough with my 7+ with IOS11, works well enough for me. I'll wait to see what comes up next year.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I'm still using an old 3GS from 2009, which says a lot about the reliability of early iPhones. Also have a 5C that I bought a couple of years ago as an intended upgrade, but can't be arsed to even put a sim in it yet! I tend to use an iPad for everything except calls, so I guess I don't really need a fancy smartphone too.

I can't help feeling phones have hit a plateau (similar to digital SLR cameras) where gains in each generation are very marginal. I'm not sure the ability to make an animated poo emoji and face recognition are game changers in the way the original iPhone was. So I won't be getting one.
Pete

Post by Pete »

In the same vein, I'm sure that most of us could get away with just driving a Passat.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Pete wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:42 am In the same vein, I'm sure that most of us could get away with just driving a Passat.
Well I can see a lot more advantages in driving a Macan over a Passat than the ability to create an animated poo emoji on the latest iPhone. So I don't see it as quite the same thing really.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

My Brother is the lucky one, he now has the Samsung 3 that was my Wifes.

I had passed it to her when I got my first iPhone.

I then passed that iPhone passed to my Wife, when I got an new iPhone and hence Bro got the S3.

I see no reason to keep upgrading my Brothers mobile.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

Well face recognition didn't work in the keynote and they will have rehearsed that a gazillion times. I'd like a new phone as my 6 is getting tired but I will either keep it for a year or get an 8.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Not as good as the Samsung Galaxy S8 anyway :D
Retired

Post by Retired »

Facial recognition, can see that it might be good just to pick up the phone, quick glance and away you go. Not a game changer really, not for me anyway, finger print is quick and reliable.

Wonder how fr copes with make up, with / without beard, with / without glasses / sunglasses, put on weight lose weight etc.

Privacy angle, the phone will have a v high res map of your face. If fr becomes pervasive could this pose a security threat?