iPhone X

The place to discuss everything else..
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

goron59 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:06 pm Connect Plus cost me £801 on my option list.
Makes an iPhoneX look like a bargain.
Ah - that's why I don't have it :)

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Am I missing something or why should a basic X be $1000 and £1000 or $1300 in the UK?
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

You're not missing something. It's a rip off, and it's not the only example. Apparently, it's much cheaper to reside in the US. Some would say there are some downsides though.
pj191k89
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

US prices dont include sales tax as it varies state by state, once 20% UK vat is added the prices are actually not that much different.

They are still making a killing from a £1000 selling price though but like products selling price has no relation to cost price as it is simply market pricing.
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

The huge price of phones (compared to a pc for example) has always amazed me but I suppose they are very clever, technically advanced and small.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Actually the £1000 (or whatever) for the X is probably a reasonable price, given all the the relatively rare and new stuff in it. It's the £900 price for the 8 that's a bit over the top as it's essentially a glass 7 with a new chipset.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
happy days

Post by happy days »

I use a Macbook Air - couple of years old now. A colleague I work with on a project once a year arrived in with a new Macbook. The SD card slot is now gone, plus one of the best features of the Macbooks, the magnetic charging port, has now been replaced by a USB3. The converter to enable connections is around £80! Think I'll stick to the Air for a while too.
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:27 pm
VanB wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:34 pm I can't see any justification for the price premium and there are no compelling changes to make it worth upgrading. No doubt Apple fanboys will queue up to buy one but I'm totally underwhelmed and my current phone does everything I need it to do.
I'm sure there are fanbois that would say the same about a Porsche with £10k of options when their current Vauxhall Corsa does everything they need.

At least if you buy a Corsa, you'll have spare money to buy an overpriced phone :lol:
If I was coming from a Corsa to a Porsche I'd expect a serious improvement in both performance and quality which would make the change pretty compelling to most who can afford it. I can't say the same for upgrading an iPhone from the last few gens. I see the whole contract phone market as a complete rip-off that I choose to avoid. Very occasionally I'll buy a new phone if it has something genuinely new and useful, but not seen anything interesting in the last few gens of iPhone or other smartphones. I know for some, simply having the latest phone is important socially. Applies to cars too :lol:
Guy

Post by Guy »

Peteski wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:31 am If I was coming from a Corsa to a Porsche I'd expect a serious improvement in both performance and quality which would make the change pretty compelling to most who can afford it. I can't say the same for upgrading an iPhone from the last few gens. I see the whole contract phone market as a complete rip-off that I choose to avoid. Very occasionally I'll buy a new phone if it has something genuinely new and useful, but not seen anything interesting in the last few gens of iPhone or other smartphones. I know for some, simply having the latest phone is important socially. Applies to cars too :lol:
I agree, but with iPhone there is also iOS compatibility to consider. I have just replaced my wife's perfectly functional 5c with an eBay-purchased 5s in order to ensure compatibility with iOS 11 when it is released. I want iOS 11 not just for 'perceived' improved security (continued updates), but also to ensure that it will run up-to-date apps (as they too are updated for the new iOS).

I also have a 5s as my Romanian mobile, but keep my UK SIM card in an old iPhone 4 that runs very smoothly (on iOS7) and provides about 90% of the functionally of the newer iPhones. There are some areas where I prefer the iPhone 4: It has an older version of Porsche Car Connect which enables me to 'select the units' rather than get them from the car, useful where the car is set to read km but I still think in miles. It also has the old-fashioned 'swipe to unlock' which I prefer!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

happy days wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:34 am I use a Macbook Air - couple of years old now. A colleague I work with on a project once a year arrived in with a new Macbook. The SD card slot is now gone, plus one of the best features of the Macbooks, the magnetic charging port, has now been replaced by a USB3. The converter to enable connections is around £80! Think I'll stick to the Air for a while too.
I configured one of the new Macbooks a couple of months ago, £3200 so I think I will pass.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags