iPhone X

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Guy wrote: ↑Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:59 am
Peteski wrote: ↑Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:31 am If I was coming from a Corsa to a Porsche I'd expect a serious improvement in both performance and quality which would make the change pretty compelling to most who can afford it. I can't say the same for upgrading an iPhone from the last few gens. I see the whole contract phone market as a complete rip-off that I choose to avoid. Very occasionally I'll buy a new phone if it has something genuinely new and useful, but not seen anything interesting in the last few gens of iPhone or other smartphones. I know for some, simply having the latest phone is important socially. Applies to cars too :lol:
I agree, but with iPhone there is also iOS compatibility to consider. I have just replaced my wife's perfectly functional 5c with an eBay-purchased 5s in order to ensure compatibility with iOS 11 when it is released. I want iOS 11 not just for 'perceived' improved security (continued updates), but also to ensure that it will run up-to-date apps (as they too are updated for the new iOS).

I also have a 5s as my Romanian mobile, but keep my UK SIM card in an old iPhone 4 that runs very smoothly (on iOS7) and provides about 90% of the functionally of the newer iPhones. There are some areas where I prefer the iPhone 4: It has an older version of Porsche Car Connect which enables me to 'select the units' rather than get them from the car, useful where the car is set to read km but I still think in miles. It also has the old-fashioned 'swipe to unlock' which I prefer!
Yes I agree, new App compatibility is starting to become a minor issue on my old iPhone 3GS, but not a show stopper so far. I expect the phone will probably die of its own accord before I really "need" to replace it. I also have a 5C, which I haven't had any iOS compatibility issues with as yet. But I tend to use an iPad for most Apps anyway. My wife still has a 4S, which is fine too functionally, but the glass front and back are prone to shattering (she's broken 2 of them now, but she doesn't look after them very well!).

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Has anyone got an IPhone X and linked it to the Macan?

Or am I going to be the guinea pig next week 😟
GTS πŸ˜€
happy days

Post by happy days »

Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:51 am Has anyone got an IPhone X and linked it to the Macan?

I decided to keep my 7+. Can't see that facial recognition would be of that much of a life changer for me. Great technology, undoubtedly, but what value would I get from it over fingerprint recognition? None, probably.

BTW, since I started using Apple Pay I have totally gone cashless. It's great!
Macan S D
718 S
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

happy days wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:47 pm
Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:51 am Has anyone got an IPhone X and linked it to the Macan?

I decided to keep my 7+. Can't see that facial recognition would be of that much of a life changer for me. Great technology, undoubtedly, but what value would I get from it over fingerprint recognition? None, probably.

BTW, since I started using Apple Pay I have totally gone cashless. It's great!
I work in the Tech / Security sector so have all the latest stuff πŸ˜€
Apple Pay is great. I use it on my watch withought my phone 😎.

At the end of the day all the phones do the same as the other one in a few different ways.
I just wanted a bigger screen 5.8” but same physical overall size as the smaller iPhone 6,7 or 8.
The plus is too big for me personally but many friends have them.

Otherwise it’s the same bit of kit wit a few bells a whistles. I do use my phone for everything and Security is critical in my line of work. Face recognition Security is 1 million to one and fingerprint is 50000 to one.

Hopefully it will work with the Macan and other cars but if not will have to use my other phone 😟.
GTS πŸ˜€
rossman999

Post by rossman999 »

Well mine arrived yesterday and touch wood everything appears to work with connect plus without any problems just like my old 6 plus
Tesla 3LR
Macan SD gone :-(
997 C4S gone :-(
Retired

Post by Retired »

Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Face recognition Security is 1 million to one and fingerprint is 50000 to one.

Are these the odds of your face / fingerprint being recognised first time?
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Retired wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:37 pm
Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Face recognition Security is 1 million to one and fingerprint is 50000 to one.

Are these the odds of your face / fingerprint being recognised first time?
πŸ˜‚ just official facts.
That’s what I would of thought too until i tried it. 😊

Like most technology if we don’t move on with the times the hackers and f&@Β£))(s find a way around it.

Either way finger scanner is still pretty secure.
GTS πŸ˜€
happy days

Post by happy days »

That tech vlogger Casey Neisat seems to think that facial recognition doesn't get around specs - this would be an issue for me as I waear about 10 different pairs of specs depending on what I'm wearing that day!
Macan S D
718 S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

happy days wrote: ↑Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:41 pm That tech vlogger Casey Neisat seems to think that facial recognition doesn't get around specs - this would be an issue for me as I waear about 10 different pairs of specs depending on what I'm wearing that day!
That could severely impact its sales in China then! :shock: :o 8-)
Last edited by SAC1 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

happy days wrote: ↑Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:41 pm That tech vlogger Casey Neisat seems to think that facial recognition doesn't get around specs - this would be an issue for me as I waear about 10 different pairs of specs depending on what I'm wearing that day!
That could severely impact its sales in China then! :shock: :o 8-)
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver