New VW T-ROC

The place to discuss everything else..
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

For me, it is the interior of VW / Audi / BMW cars that is not "special" enough.

The Golfs / Q5's / etc. look stunning but when you sit in them they are just "very ordinary" and not special. I still think the interior of my Macan is stunning. :D

Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

I agree, certainly on something like a Q5, X5 etc. T-Rocs will start at low £20k's which is less than half the cost of a bargain basement spec Porsche so harder to get a striking interior at that price point.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
johnd

Post by johnd »

ScotMac wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 am For me, it is the interior of VW / Audi / BMW cars that is not "special" enough.
Agreed. This is the nub of the coming dilemma. Something like a T-Roc R or Ateca Cupra represents - on paper at least - the ideal package for me - decent power, 4WD etc in a compact SUV (and hence the extra seating height and additional interior space that the taller SUV form factor brings).

But it's not special enough and so I'm being forced to jump one way or the other - either run a car that is substantially larger and heavier than I'd ideally like (ie my Macan) or to forgo some of the premium features of a Porsche. Not an easy decision.

The best solution would seem to be the Porsche Majun, as in eg:

https://www.carsbase.com/news/Porsche-m ... d2643.html

But who knows whether there's any foundation to these rumours or if it's just Photoshop Phantasy. I can well imagine that Porsche's relatively limited development resources are fully occupied with all the other pending models that we know about, including Mission E, so it's probably unlikely.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I could live with something that is "not special" (I have had a few ordinary cars which were fine) but don't see why I should pay quite a lot of money for something that is quite "ordinary".

If I want ordinary I could buy a Dacia Sandero for £6000 and still get up to 80 mpg. (probably 80mph too :D )
goron59

Post by goron59 »

ScotMac wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:31 am For me, it is the interior of VW / Audi / BMW cars that is not "special" enough.

The Golfs / Q5's / etc. look stunning but when you sit in them they are just "very ordinary" and not special. I still think the interior of my Macan is stunning. :D
I extend the list to Posrche for cars that are "not special enough." Porsche is pretty good, yes, but they're all various shades of pretty good.
In fact, some upper-end Audis put the average Porsche to shame on interior materials.

But I know it's subjective. After all, I felt the XC90 / 60 Inspiration to be way more classy than my Macan.
A modern R8 makes a 911 look like a Beetle.
etc etc.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

All VWs I've driven in the past 5 years have been totally "meh". I nearly fell asleep test driving a Passat and the old Tiguan was the dullest car ever made. But if I was in the market for a Qashqai replacement I'd at least take a look at this new alternative. I presume it's that sort of size.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Q3 with a change of clothes.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Specced a Q3 - £40,000! Would I pay £40,000 for a Q3 ............No.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 pm Q3 with a change of clothes.
Nicer clothes too.