...anyone who wears a trilby hat inside his car can’t be taken seriously😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm Drag racing/standing start sprints is not “EVO” though.
Like Col says, if you only care about top trumps, get a motorbike.
I’m not sure how I would fit the family and all our gear on a bike? I don’t actually care about drag racing, but I do care about having enough torque to make driving a big SUV effortless and the Tesla was the best in this respect, even the lowly 75D. It’s like having a massive monster torque diesel without many of the drawbacks. As I said handling is actually very good too and that was probably the most surprising thing for me.

P.S. wasn’t Col the guy who upgraded to a Macan Turbo because his DS wasn’t quick enough?
Last edited by Deleted User 1874 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:00 am
I can imagine a Tesla fan taking this as "look, you can do really long road trips with a Tesla!".

But what I get from it is:
  • "Model X loaner — a fully loaded P100D that likely cost around $150,000"
  • "it's going to take us TEN HOURS to make a six-hour trip. Grrrr!"
  • "Look, there's no way around it. In a Tesla, you can't just pull into a gas station and in ten minutes get another 400 miles of range."
  • "I was scarred by my previous long-range Tesla drive, when I "ran out of gas" and had to make use of some rather slow charging options to make it home."
  • "We threw in the towel and stopped for dinner. At this point, my kids were not Tesla fans." - had to stop in a number of places they they didn't really want to.
  • "A few days later, we loaded up to return home. And THIS TIME I decided to trust the Tesla."
  • "Homeward bound. We made one less charging stop and got home in two hours' less time than on the drive down." But still two hours more than if he had a normal or hybrid car.
  • It seems to me that all non-trivial trips require planning by the Tesla software, taking away one of the key freedoms that used to be offered by the motorcar.
The writing style starts off all annoying and chatty, then depends into the bullet points above, pretty much.

model x ugly windscreen discolouration.png
I dunno, I travel with 3 girls, so stopping every 200 miles is not really an issue for us. My days of non-stop drives down to the French Alps are well and truly over! There are pros and cons to every car, but the Model X has some major pros that are simply not available elsewhere. You seem determined to only see the negatives, which may or may not be a real issue for you. I started off much the same way and then changed my mind after a closer look.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

"After a while I could relax and lose the hat."

...and road vision! Good job he had auto-pilot then :lol:
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

Great to see various points of view on EVs.
My current needs (as posted elsewhere) don’t co-incide with the range / charging infrastructure currently available.
Now, as a second car for Mrs P an EV would absolutely fit the bill (except that hers is the cabriolet we use for some road trips in the summer but that’s an aside.)
One thing I did spot from the first article is that Tesla will now start charging (no pun intended) for superchargers on the volume model - they don’t say how much.
Cynics might see the thin end if the wedge and the real revenue stream for Tesla here (think printer cartridges / razor blade cartridges.) I know its no different to paying for petrol / diesel, but the “ free for life” power was one of the initial marketing headlines.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 1874

Paul wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:36 am Great to see various points of view on EVs.
My current needs (as posted elsewhere) don’t co-incide with the range / charging infrastructure currently available.
Now, as a second car for Mrs P an EV would absolutely fit the bill (except that hers is the cabriolet we use for some road trips in the summer but that’s an aside.)
One thing I did spot from the first article is that Tesla will now start charging (no pun intended) for superchargers on the volume model - they don’t say how much.
Cynics might see the thin end if the wedge and the real revenue stream for Tesla here (think printer cartridges / razor blade cartridges.) I know its no different to paying for petrol / diesel, but the “ free for life” power was one of the initial marketing headlines.....
I managed to get in on the free supercharging deal, but to be honest I’ll probably use those maybe a dozen times a year on longer trips. The vast bulk of my charging will be done at home overnight on cheap E7. On some trips I’ll also be using the growing network of pay fast chargers at destination and many of those give you free parking to offset the cost a little. Tesla superchargers were only ever intended to make long haul trips feasible, not as a means of daily charging. Unless you actually live within a mile or two of a supercharger or pass one on your way home they are not practical anyway.

Ultimately paying for petrol/diesel is hugely more expensive. Not that a Tesla is cheap motoring of course! But I didn’t fancy the idea of a comparably powerful and expensive SUV with sub 20 mpg running costs.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Peteski wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 am You seem determined to only see the negatives
Not really, but I do enjoy watching people try to defend their position.

Who knows, it might make sense and persuade others :-)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 am
Peteski wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:25 am You seem determined to only see the negatives
Not really, but I do enjoy watching people try to defend their position.

Who knows, it might make sense and persuade others :-)
I had realised you were baiting of course. As it happens I don’t mind a good debate and it’s always easy to counter any point made either negative or positive. For example I could go on the current thread praising the all-round ability of the Macan SD and simply say it’s too small and too slow for my needs. While that’s more or less true for me (I could actually live with the performance) it doesn’t make the SD any more or less desirable for someone else.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

It’s certainly too slow :-)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
LLL

Post by LLL »

After 1 year of Tesla ownership and more than 2000miles including trips to France, Italy, Switzerland, Norway etc, I have encountered none of what's reported in that article. There is a learning-curve on how to use the car and build trust, in the same way that people had to learn how to use a smartphone instead of a phone with buttons. Every new product has a learning curve. Just imagine someone renting a Macan, do you think that person would master the PCM system without reading the manual? Nah, don't think so...

Sitting at a Supercharger, charging above 95% @ 22kW is just hilarious, like shown in the posted article. No-one would do this in the real world, the only people who does that either don't understand how it works or just have an other agenda.

Take this example. Drive London to Inverness which is 561 miles and in total just above 1h stops enroute. I'm sure that's quite normal stop time anyone would do driving that stretch in a Macan anyway?

LondonInverness.png