More Tesla woes

The place to discuss everything else..
LLL

Post by LLL »

Also to add to above, that's just a "proposal" for stopping over. There are other Superchargers to choose from and of course if you stay for lunch in e.g. Gretna Green for 30 minutes, then the stop at Abington could be much shorter, or even skip that Supercharger completely...

Noticed that the Superchargers will grow massively in the UK the coming year and cover all the areas where there are fewer today. Wales and Ireland for example will have several more shortly.

And like have been said many times before.. All those days you drive sub 300miles/day you don't need to even think about charging... So it comes down to the question if you can sacrifice a few minutes on those occasions you do long distance driving and as a bonus get to your destination more relaxed. For some this sacrifice seems impossible and to those people I strongly recommend to stick to ICE until it just takes 5 minutes for a full charge, which will be the case in due course :)

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Luke - I don’t think most people who casually dismiss EVs on their limited range really give it enough thought as to whether or not it would actually be a real world issue for them. I know I’ve been guilty of that myself before I seriously considered a Tesla. In the end I realised that I don’t even need the biggest battery to comfortably get by on the trips we do, which are well served by supercharger and destination chargers. EV range (at least for a Tesla) is nowhere near the showstopper I once presumed it would be. I’m certainly looking forward to the many benefits of an EV!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Luke wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:35 pm Also to add to above, that's just a "proposal" for stopping over. There are other Superchargers to choose from and of course if you stay for lunch in e.g. Gretna Green for 30 minutes, then the stop at Abington could be much shorter, or even skip that Supercharger completely...

Noticed that the Superchargers will grow massively in the UK the coming year and cover all the areas where there are fewer today. Wales and Ireland for example will have several more shortly.

And like have been said many times before.. All those days you drive sub 300miles/day you don't need to even think about charging... So it comes down to the question if you can sacrifice a few minutes on those occasions you do long distance driving and as a bonus get to your destination more relaxed. For some this sacrifice seems impossible and to those people I strongly recommend to stick to ICE until it just takes 5 minutes for a full charge, which will be the case in due course :)
This is what I shall be doing👍

I agree that for 4 days of the week, an overnight charge is perfectly adequate for my next day’s needs. It’s the other 3 days that would frustrate / annoy me. When there’s a 5 minute supercharger (or a 300 mile charger) as freely available as current petrol stations that will be my tipping point.

PS
Edit to say that re your previous post, I’d have taken the M1 up to Sheffield / Leeds, stopped for a quick wee and a tank of fuel on the motorway and driven on.....😊
Last edited by Paul on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
LLL

Post by LLL »

Peteski wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:49 pm Luke - I don’t think most people who casually dismiss EVs on their limited range really give it enough thought as to whether or not it would actually be a real world issue for them. I know I’ve been guilty of that myself before I seriously considered a Tesla. In the end I realised that I don’t even need the biggest battery to comfortably get by on the trips we do, which are well served by supercharger and destination chargers. EV range (at least for a Tesla) is nowhere near the showstopper I once presumed it would be. I’m certainly looking forward to the many benefits of an EV!
Completely agree.

It's been an eye opener for myself. I mean, about a year ago when I still owned my Macan Turbo I was extremely negative towards Tesla and EVs in general. Had exactly the same "issues" and judged before I tested it like I see many do in here. That's probably why I still visit this forum now and then to just balance up the discussion a bit from a EV owners perspective that former owned 2 Macans and a few other Porsches ;)

Now having lived with the car for a year I would never even consider moving back to ICE again. Just now there is no competition to Tesla, but in a few years if there are superior products from other manufacturers I'd jump into one of those. But that's quite some years until then so don't need to bother about that today.

When do you get your X btw and what spec. have you chosen?
LLL

Post by LLL »

Paul wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:51 pm
Luke wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:35 pm Also to add to above, that's just a "proposal" for stopping over. There are other Superchargers to choose from and of course if you stay for lunch in e.g. Gretna Green for 30 minutes, then the stop at Abington could be much shorter, or even skip that Supercharger completely...

This is what I shall be doing👍

I agree that for 4 days of the week, an overnight charge is perfectly adequate for my next day’s needs. It’s the other 3 days that would frustrate / annoy me. When there’s a 5 minute supercharger (or a 300 mile charger) as freely available as current petrol stations that will be my tipping point.

PS
Edit to say that re your previous post, I’d have taken the M1 up to Sheffield / Leeds, stopped for a quick wee and a tank of fuel on the motorway and driven on.....😊
So, in a 9 hour drive you stop for one wee/fill-up and then you eat lunch and dinner in the car while driving and reach your destination quite exhausted? :D

I mean, if I was on such a tight time schedule I'd take a flight instead if I can't spare another 40 minutes of relaxing on that long drive.

We have all different needs though so I fully respect if this is the way that you prefer to commute and since I'm not that often driving more than 500km/day these scenarios are non existent for me but I understand that they apparently are for others 👍
Retired

Post by Retired »

I'm certainly not against EVs and, having driven one and liked it, an EV will probably be the next car we buy as a second car for local and relatively short journeys.

Live about 40 odd miles from London and an EV would be fine for trips to London.

Accept that with planning longer journeys are possible, but I don't want to plan I just want to go where I want to go when I want to go. Recently drove to Frankfurt and stayed in a hotel in Oberursel on the outskirts of the city. Arrived with a nearly empty tank. Next day decided to go to the Nurburgring. No problem, visit petrol station and drive. Didn't have to think about filling up for the return to Frankfurt either, there are many petrol stations and it only takes a few minutes to fill the tank.

With an EV I could have driven to Frankfurt without any problem, I knew we were going so could have mad sure the battery was well charged before starting off.But the spontaneous decision to drive to the Nurburgring would have been more problematic.

How much do things like driving style and conditions affect range calculation? I.e. lights / heater / ac on and even on when sitting in a traffic jam.

An acquaintance has an i3 as a local runaround. He says the range is dramatically reduced if he 'pushes on' a bit.

What would a journey along an German autobahn at speeds of up to 120mph do to the range of a Tesla? I know its bad for petrol consumption, but then there are so many opportunities to refuel in a few minutes it doesn't matter.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

For me an EV is a backward step currently. I have to plan my routes. I have to go the way the EV company (Not just Tesla) tell me to.
I may not have a charging point powerful enough at my destination etc etc.

The car does not do 350 miles.... Unless you have no wind, drive at perfect speeds to maintain this range... Its the same as the MPG we get in our petrol and diesel cars. This is the problem a lot of people may not realise. I looked way past the glossy brochures and what the sales guys says.
Dont ask the right questions you wont get the right answers.....

My example of a location i visit regularly takes 1 hour 40 mins. Or routed by a Tesla Supercharger 2 hours 45 mins.
The difference is it will leave me with 70% charge once i get to my destination or 50% charge going the faster non charging route.
Then i go out all day with the kids and come back and have no charging point. 30 miles away is the nearest super charger.
I want to enjoy my time with my Family and not have to think about this..

There are a few 7kw or 11kw charger points 10 miles away but i have to either call and book in advance, not available for anyone to use only guests etc etc.
Not my idea of fun. As per a post i made earlier Shell have added 3 new charging points in the last few days and should have around 10 by the end of the year. When there are enough locations its starting to work and make sense for me. And by then the cars quality will be upto scratch as the current offering i have not been impressed with especially for the money.

I have some Tesla friends and none of them paint this perfect picture. They have plenty of issues.....
But the car looks cool and has lots of gadgets. ;)

I think thee are some who purchase an EV with plenty of research and look at various factors and they are happy. Unfortunately a lot of owners i know just wanted an EV and something cool and different...They seem not so happy but i would base this on their own research not being thorough enough for their needs.

EV's are great but dont suit everyone... Currently.... The infrastructure will come though :P

At least if you have an EV now you are benefiting from cheaper charging as the costs will rocket by the time i get one :(
GTS 😀
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I do regular trip to my second home nonstop of 250 miles - cruising a 75 - 85 I guess an ev might just get me door to door - but that's too tight a margin for me, so l will wait untill they improve the performance/range ratio.
Deleted User 1874

Well it would be foolish to buy any expensive car without making sure it met your needs.
Most people with EVs do most of their charging at home and everyone currently with a Tesla has lifetime free supercharging. But even without that perk it’s going to be much cheaper than petrol/diesel for a very long time.

Luke - I ordered an X75D for Feb delivery. I went for the folding 7 seat option, premium interior with premium upgrade package and EAP.
Deleted User 1874

Macananon wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:39 pm I do regular trip to my second home nonstop of 250 miles - cruising a 75 - 85 I guess an ev might just get me door to door - but that's too tight a margin for me, so l will wait untill they improve the performance/range ratio.
Some Tesla models e.g. Model S 100D would do that trip easily with plenty to spare.
The Model X 75D I’m getting would be well short though.