More Tesla woes

The place to discuss everything else..
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Model 3 production not going as well as Musk said.

A couple of takes..

http://mashable.com/2017/10/03/tesla-mo ... -analysis/

https://abovethelaw.com/2017/10/tesla-i ... on-valley/

I do feel for people that have placed an order for a Model 3, especially those outside the USA. Entire years will go by whilst waiting, and in that time, the 3 itself will probably be midlife-updated and the rest of the industry will breeze past.
Tesla reported half a million Model 3 pre-orders in late July. At the company’s current production pace, Tesla Model 3 customer 500,000 might not see her all-electric sedan until the year 2363.
Presumably deposits are returnable, but still, unhappy times.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Paul

Post by Paul »

Not quite as bad as early Macan days 😂 but nonetheless......over-promise and, so far, under-deliver seems to be the story.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Bit of a shame but not a surprise.
They are still very new at this game and they are learning. Hopefully they learn fast though withought compromise on quality.

Time will tell.
GTS 😀
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:06 am Bit of a shame but not a surprise.
They are still very new at this game and they are learning. Hopefully they learn fast though withought compromise on quality.

Time will tell.
I meant Tesla as in the company, not the cars. Tesla is being propped up by some very shaky foundations. Silicon Valley firms come and go all the time and the ones that survive, do so by adapting or changing their business models dramatically. Will Tesla be the mainstream car maker it claims to want to be in 5 years? 10? I actually think not. Will it exist at all? Probably, but I suspect will be quite different to the way it is today.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I meant Tesla as in the company, not the cars. Tesla is being propped up by some very shaky foundations. Silicon Valley firms come and go all the time and the ones that survive, do so by adapting or changing their business models dramatically. Will Tesla be the mainstream car maker it claims to want to be in 5 years? 10? I actually think not. Will it exist at all? Probably, but I suspect will be quite different to the way it is today.
Tesla are probably waiting for the multi-billion take over offer from one of the established mega car manufacturers like GM or Toyota.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Truth is nobody knows how the future will pan out for Tesla. The Model 3 looks great, although I wouldn't consider ordering one at this point! But I do expect it will be a future success. Will the mainstream really "breeze" past them while they sort out their production volumes? I'm well into EVs and don't see anything I would buy ahead of a Tesla right now. The mainstream industry still seems to be counting on ICE tech for much of the coming decade. After that it's anyone's guess who the main players will be. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tesla still going strong and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one or more of the old guard collapse if they don't play their cards right over the next few years. It must be a hard time planning the future when everything you've ever worked on over the last century revolved around ICEs.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I have a deposit on a Model 3 from launch day. Not too bothered about any delay as I will evaluate the car on its merits vs other options when it beomes available in the UK.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Peteski wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:38 pmI'm well into EVs and don't see anything I would buy ahead of a Tesla right now.
And do you think you are representative of a buyer of a mass market car? Are you considering buying the 3 (I thought it's the X you're after).

However, what you and I think [about the car] is largely irrelevant. It's the people that buy cheap Fords and Kias and Nissans that define the success of a mass market car maker.
Musk has clearly and repeated declared that is what he wants Tesla to be. I just don't see it.

The only way a Model 3 can be considered even remotely "mass affordable" is if the governments in each jurisdiction offer significant tax or other incentives. These are already disappearing in SoCal and most other markets where Tesla cars are sold.

Despite my dislike of Tesla's megalomaniacal approach to how we transport ourselves, I do wish them well, but it does look like another SoCal bubble waiting to burst.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Peteski wrote:I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one or more of the old guard collapse if they don't play their cards right over the next few years.
It was only in 2009 that GM filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, so not completely unfeasible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If I order a Model 3 there is a major problem I forsee, I may not live long enough to take delivery.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags