More Tesla woes

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:30 pm
I am unsure of what changes have been made to the Model X, but if as you elude too there has been a substantial number that to this Engineer sets alarm bells ringing.
Many of the changes were bug fixes from early production e.g. poor panel alignment and other various build quality issues. Some changes were due to customer demand e.g. flat folding middle seats. Some changes were performance enhancing e.g. upgraded battery and power train specs. Also many software updates along the way, both introducing new features and improving many existing features. It is concerning that they had so many quality issues to start off with, but encouraging that the vast majority of those issues have since been addressed. A more conservative approach would be to develop the car more extensively before initial release, but this is literally the cutting edge of automotive technology and many of the issues were ultimately quite trivial (although very annoying for typical OCD owners used to quality at this price point - or at least the perception of quality through brand recognition).

I think there is still a risk in buying a Tesla, but life's getting too short for me to worry too much these days! I'm not buying shares in the company, only a specific product commitment for a few years. I noticed quite a few Tesla owners buy again after their first encounter, so can't be all that bad. On the forums, most owners think the overall experience is worth any "early-adopter" hassles they get. There are very few complaints about how the cars actually perform.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

So Tesla are basically followers of the Adobe school of product mis-management.

That is ....... produce the product asap and release it, then let the customers be the Beta testers.
Ergo .... do not buy the Mark 1 version, wait until it is bug fixed to your satisfaction.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Seems like the general idea. Also not the best choice for those who absolutely have to have the latest and greatest spec as major upgrades seem to come thick and fast. Specs from less than a year ago are already obsolete if you care about such things. Certainly creates plenty of sob stories on the Tesla forums!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Peteski wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:22 am
goron59 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:02 am Not to mention dull. Not everyone enjoys the thrill of driving, as EVO likes to put it... indeed, we're a dying breed.
Perhaps it's ironic then that I chose to buy a Model X because it was the least dull large SUV I could find.
Yes, when you go for a people-carrier style SUV you’ve pretty much given up your EVO card anyway.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:27 pm Yes, when you go for a people-carrier style SUV you’ve pretty much given up your EVO card anyway.
Well I still have a 911 too, which the Tesla will slaughter off the line while actually carrying people and their stuff. You don’t see many other people carriers drag racing exotic super cars, so you could say it’s at the sporty end of the SUV spectrum. It may be a bit pointless ultimately, but still a lot of fun. Handling is surprisingly good too for such a beast, easily comparable to a Cayenne and certainly better than most in class.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Drag racing/standing start sprints is not “EVO” though.
Like Col says, if you only care about top trumps, get a motorbike.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Read this this morning.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/tesla-mod ... ew-2017-10

I can imagine a Tesla fan taking this as "look, you can do really long road trips with a Tesla!".

But what I get from it is:
  • "Model X loaner — a fully loaded P100D that likely cost around $150,000"
  • "it's going to take us TEN HOURS to make a six-hour trip. Grrrr!"
  • "Look, there's no way around it. In a Tesla, you can't just pull into a gas station and in ten minutes get another 400 miles of range."
  • "I was scarred by my previous long-range Tesla drive, when I "ran out of gas" and had to make use of some rather slow charging options to make it home."
  • "We threw in the towel and stopped for dinner. At this point, my kids were not Tesla fans." - had to stop in a number of places they they didn't really want to.
  • "A few days later, we loaded up to return home. And THIS TIME I decided to trust the Tesla."
  • "Homeward bound. We made one less charging stop and got home in two hours' less time than on the drive down." But still two hours more than if he had a normal or hybrid car.
  • It seems to me that all non-trivial trips require planning by the Tesla software, taking away one of the key freedoms that used to be offered by the motorcar.
The writing style starts off all annoying and chatty, then depends into the bullet points above, pretty much.

model x ugly windscreen discolouration.png

goron59

Post by goron59 »

And here's the same guy's trip in a Model S last year.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/tesla-mod ... ive-2016-7

Extraordinary how he puts a positive spin on 240 mile round trip taking 2 DAYS, 2 additional painful stops on the way back, excessive food consumption and 1 mile per hour :shock: charging.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Goron

You deserve a gold medal for services to the forum for going through the articles and extracting the bits you posted.

The endless inane images of hs family put me right off.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

A Tesla fanboy working in the unit next to ours came out with a some brilliant comments on his car this week.

First off he tells us he is in a Model S P85 because his Model X is back in the garage for repairs which is a regular occurance.

He then tells us how easily it cruises at 60-70 mph overtaking lorries and moving back in again - obviously to give him a reasonable range.

He then goes on about autopilot - 'but you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel' !!!!

At that point I had to leave the room as I was crying with laughter!