No more brand new cars !

The place to discuss everything else..
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Defiantly need a second car with a new Porsche. If I'm going anywhere dodgy, Tesco or Dunelm car parks, etc I have a twelve year old Rav4 especially for that job, bought for little more than the price of a Macan tow pack. It has a few battle scars but is mechanically sound so I can happily jam it into the tightest spaces without a care in the would. Its presently in the airport carpark and haven't given it a thought in over a week.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

goron59

Post by goron59 »

MCDK wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:35 pm The solution to the supermarket carpark problem is easily found - online shopping, a nice man brings it all to you for a few quid extra....
Often for fewer quid, eg not paying for your own fuel. Something which seems oh so important for Macan buyers.
And you can drink beer whilst someone delivers your groceries.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Having kids greatly reduced my anxiety about keeping things pristine! The way I see it with cars is that you replace them every 3 or 4 years and any minor parking dings can be dealt with by a quick repair. If I was totally paranoid about scratches I wouldn't bother with nice cars.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Peteski wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:04 am Having kids greatly reduced my anxiety about keeping things pristine! The way I see it with cars is that you replace them every 3 or 4 years and any minor parking dings can be dealt with by a quick repair. If I was totally paranoid about scratches I wouldn't bother with nice cars.
Quite a good theory really.

Another thing I try to focus on - I generally look after my cars but when I go to trade it in does it matter - NO. Do they give me more money for unmarked alloys, unmarked interiors and no scratches or dents on the bodywork - NO. In my experience they hardly look at the car - just go by the book price which is generally pretty poor.

Perhaps Porsche will be different.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

ScotMac wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:32 am
Peteski wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:04 am Having kids greatly reduced my anxiety about keeping things pristine! The way I see it with cars is that you replace them every 3 or 4 years and any minor parking dings can be dealt with by a quick repair. If I was totally paranoid about scratches I wouldn't bother with nice cars.
Quite a good theory really.

Another thing I try to focus on - I generally look after my cars but when I go to trade it in does it matter - NO. Do they give me more money for unmarked alloys, unmarked interiors and no scratches or dents on the bodywork - NO. In my experience they hardly look at the car - just go by the book price which is generally pretty poor.

Perhaps Porsche will be different.
That's my experience too. They may try to knock money off for obvious damage, but otherwise a totally pristine car is worth much the same as one with a few minor scratches. I've never found Porsche give decent trade in values anyway, had much better results selling to the independents. They all factor in prep costs anyaway and a few minor parking dings makes little difference. Obviously I try to minimise damage by parking strategically, but I don't stress over it too much. I picked up a few scratches on a rear door panel recently (probably from a carpark or my own kids) and it was minimal cost for a good Smart repair.

On the same token, I can't see the point in fancy paint protection unless you are keeping the car for a decade or more. It's so easy to get sold on these things on a brand new car, only to trade it a couple of years later with hardly a scratch anyway.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

goron59 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:21 pm How about https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/10/por ... n-service/ ?
Probably a great idea. :D

Very expensive though :(
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I don't think I would be happy driving some crap old car but there must be plenty of pre owned prestige cars that would be nice to own and drive.

Some possibles - Audi S4, RS4. BMW 5 / 6 / 7 series. I have always fancied a 740 or 750 - usually very cheap second hand with a huge spec. Used to be V12 engine I think which must have been brilliant.