No more brand new cars !

The place to discuss everything else..
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

My last few cars have been brand new, factory ordered which is great. I like having a nice new car and look after them keeping them clean and polished. :D

The downside - you are scared to park it many places because of the ******** who like to park very close and mark or scratch your shiny paintwork. This Friday and Saturday night was the first time (in 2 1/2 years) that my lovely Macan was not "tucked up" in its garage. Too much hassle to move cars around so I left it on the driveway.

I think my next car might be used, with a few scratches :( :( :(

MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Not for me sorry. Even when I buy a used car as my runaround/dog carrying machine it must be perfect. This means looking at a load of cars before I find one I'm happy with and frustrates many salesmen who of course pass off the "inevitable" few marks here and there. Those same said marks don't get disregarded as much when selling a car to them I would imagine.

The upshot is that I have 3 cars which are immaculate but it does cause major stress and a lot of work ensuring they don't get damaged in any way or even wet in the case of the Macan lol.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

MCDK wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:41 pm Not for me sorry. Even when I buy a used car as my runaround/dog carrying machine it must be perfect. This means looking at a load of cars before I find one I'm happy with and frustrates many salesmen who of course pass off the "inevitable" few marks here and there. Those same said marks don't get disregarded as much when selling a car to them I would imagine.

The upshot is that I have 3 cars which are immaculate but it does cause major stress and a lot of work ensuring they don't get damaged in any way or even wet in the case of the Macan lol.
This is where I am now basically. Even in the past I have looked for a secondhand car for teaching my son to drive in - ended up buying a brand new one as I couldn't find a good enough car.

I do not mind the work involved keeping the cars nice but its the "stress" trying to keep them from getting damaged. Multi storey / supermarket / hospital car parks are all a nightmare full of crap scratched dented cars that people do not give a sh** about.

Is it worth the stress :? :? :?
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

“I do not mind the work involved keeping the cars nice but its the "stress" trying to keep them from getting damaged. Multi storey / supermarket / hospital car parks are all a nightmare full of crap scratched dented cars that people do not give a sh** about.

Totally agree with the above. Which is why I kept my 2005 Toyota verso with 160k miles on the clock. It’s a horror. Surprising how so few people choose to park close to that as opposed to my Macan and 911 turbo where the Waitrose wallies appear to run competitions as to how close they can park....
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

The solution to the supermarket carpark problem is easily found - online shopping, a nice man brings it all to you for a few quid extra and no worries about dents. Solves one problem but there are plenty other parking nightmares.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Rigger wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:51 pm “I do not mind the work involved keeping the cars nice but its the "stress" trying to keep them from getting damaged. Multi storey / supermarket / hospital car parks are all a nightmare full of crap scratched dented cars that people do not give a sh** about.

Totally agree with the above. Which is why I kept my 2005 Toyota verso with 160k miles on the clock. It’s a horror. Surprising how so few people choose to park close to that as opposed to my Macan and 911 turbo where the Waitrose wallies appear to run competitions as to how close they can park....
I know it is a great option but I'm not keen on getting a "spare" car - too many vehicles here at present.

I thought Waitrose would have been one of the better car parks to park in. At least you are going to get bashed by a better quality car :D
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

“I thought Waitrose would have been one of the better car parks to park in. At least you are going to get bashed by a better quality car :D

Absolutely! I wouldn’t dream of taking the Porkers anywhere near Tesco or Aldi :D

The problem with Waitrose is that many of the customers seem to see a challenge in parking as close to the shop door as possible so will squeeze into any gap if it means them taking a couple of steps less. Hence the Porkers will always be parked at the far end of the car park.

However, no matter what your approach is someone will always get you as happened with my Macan a couple of months ago. I blamed it on the wife but she insisted it was done on the ferry. Jury is still out for me. However, my local OPC fixed it for £45 using their dent man, so I can’t complain too much.
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Waitrose is the only supermarket car park that I have parked in. :o Probably a good idea to park far away from the entrance. You can often park in the middle of an empty car park and return to find someone parked next to you. Not sure why they would do it.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Agree where you are coming from.

Five new cars on the trot and the Turbo is the last, at least that is now the plan.

After buying a second owner Mini Cooper for our Daughter it is immaculate a year old and way less cost than what it was new, now that I would have no qualms about leaving anywhere, its a Mini and everyone loves a Mini and a street punk is not likely to key it.

Given that we are only likely to do 6-8000 miles per annum having the Turbo is very much a luxury.

I an concerned every time we park it especially on a road wherever that may be, we even drive around looking for places to park that are visible to open nearby premises and on traffic routes.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

On the plus side ..........

After 2 1/2 years and 20,000 miles my Macan is basically "as new". No marks on the alloys, a few stone chips on the bodywork but basically unmarked and the interior is unmarked and "as new" which is a bit of of a minor miracle with my agate grey / pebble grey interior :?

For me, it is worthwhile looking after your car.