Tesla Model T

The place to discuss everything else..
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I can't take Tesla seriously anymore.
I like Mr Musk and he does do some great talking and has some great ideas but so many fingers in so many pies I have no idea what his priorities are.
Clearly not the Model 3 based on recent reports. By the time people get them they will be out of date 😳

I think we are still a few years away before things are at a level to persuade the majority.
Prices will probably come down too but so many hurdles to overcome for the majority currently.

As per Simons comment above I do think Porsche with the rest of their German friends will be leading the way in a few years time anyway.
That's my opinion anyway.
GTS 😀

goron59

Post by goron59 »

SAC1 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:58 pm
goron59 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:21 pm In a few years, EVs is all we’ll have, so they’ll have to step up if people are still going to passionate about driving.
Bleak future otherwise.
Really? Where will all that extra electricity be generated? There will be alternative vehicle power sources for sure. Slower EV "refueling" time will not be tolerated by businessmen. I can't see the mega oil companies just rolling over either. Maybe they'll convert their diesel and petrol to hydrogen filling stations.
Fascinating but we were talking about lapping the Nordschleife.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:26 pm I can't take Tesla seriously anymore.

As per Simons comment above I do think Porsche with the rest of their German friends will be leading the way in a few years time anyway.
I was of a similar view until I actually drove a Tesla. It certainly wouldn't be my choice for a track day car, but as a road car I thought the Model X was very impressive and the S I'm sure would be even better.

It's all very well to presume that the Germans will take over the lead in a few years, but I'm not seeing anything on the horizon better than a current 2017 Tesla in terms of EV performance or range. Okay the Porsche Turbo Charger or whatever it's called appears to be faster than a Tesla Supercharger, but you are not going to have one of these in your garage, so it's hardly a big deal. Most of your daily charging will still be done at 7 kW or 15 kW if you have a 3 phase home supply.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Peteski wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:04 pm
Kasfranks99 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:26 pm I can't take Tesla seriously anymore.

I was of a similar view until I actually drove a Tesla. It certainly wouldn't be my choice for a track day car, but as a road car I thought the Model X was very impressive and the S I'm sure would be even better.

It's all very well to presume that the Germans will take over the lead in a few years, but I'm not seeing anything on the horizon better than a current 2017 Tesla in terms of EV performance or range. Okay the Porsche Turbo Charger or whatever it's called appears to be faster than a Tesla Supercharger, but you are not going to have one of these in your garage, so it's hardly a big deal. Most of your daily charging will still be done at 7 kW or 15 kW if you have a 3 phase home supply.
This is clearly were our experiences have differed.
I loved Tesla until I had a closer inspection and then drove them.
That's was the let down for me.
The quality was not up to the standards of the website / brochures / my expectations.
They have improved but a fair way to go especially for the money imo.

Their battery tech is exceptional though on how it works and the concerns I had initially were put to bed very quickly. Some people still compare it to mobile phones and expect the cells to all have problems in a few years time but they have thought of that. 😀

I have no need for an EV currently but in a few years time I hope some serious improvements from all manufacturers.
The Germans and others may all fall flat on their face but if they do then the current Tesla offerings are not enough to tempt me.

I still love reading all of Mr Musk's ideas as he is a very clever guy. A bit nuts at times but we need people like him to drive things forward.
GTS 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Build quality was my biggest concern with Tesla and early Model X builds were very shoddy. Even the sales guy admitted it was a headache for them last year. No way would I have bought one then. But look at a recent build (I've looked closely at 3 mid 2017 builds) and you'll see that build quality has dramatically improved, to the point of being a non-issue. Interior material quality and trim on the Model X is also notably better than it is on the older Model S.

Putting all the touchy feely stuff to one side, what really sold me on the Tesla X was the sublime EV power train, forward thinking tech and airy modern interior space. It's a really nice way of effortlessly wafting your family around without the "old fart" whiff of some of the more traditional alternatives. It's not for everyone of course, but I'm looking forward to mine more than any car I can remember in recent years. Perhaps because it's such a fresh approach to mundane travel.