Dirty diesel, or NOT so dirty diesel

The place to discuss everything else..
Macancan

Post by Macancan »

Came across this when browsing, found it very interesting/controversial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... ar_exhaust
1st Porsche Macan SD Rhodium Silver 2016-2018 (SOLD)
2nd Porsche Macan SD Sapphire Blue 21" Turbo's 2018-2020 (SOLD)
Current 718 Boxster GTS GT Silver

Guy

Post by Guy »

I just read exactly the same article and was about to post a link! Yes, a good read - would be interesting to repeat the test with slightly newer cars: eg My 2015 Macan SD and 2001 VW Golf Mk4 petrol.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Great read....and highlights the government’s (UK and European) sledgehammer approach.
Soon we’ll discover that there’s something worse than NOx, and start measuring (and taxing) that instead (like the rubber and brake dust particles emmitted by EVs😉)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

If you stand back from the detail, the government encouraged people to buy diesels but some how how that wrong - an error costing billions.

Now councils are charging people extra to park diesels .

I don't recall much parliamentary debate about the decision to ban ICE cars by 2040, or indeed voting for it after it being in a manifesto.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

That was a very interesting article and highlights what a sham current Euro emissions testing really is. Also makes me so very glad I don't live in a big town or city! Regardless of what poison you are actually breathing from exhaust fumes, to me it has always been intuitive that they are all really bad news for your health. Growing up in the 70's and 80's around Manchester, I noticed that pretty much everyone over 60 had some sort of chest problem, coughing and wheezing their way around, presumably due to all the smoking, cotton mill chimneys and increasing vehicle pollution. Moving out into the countryside was literally a breath of fresh air!

Looks like we should be selling our Qashqai too (although it has a different diesel engine to the one mentioned in the article)!
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

Exactly - shock horror that car fumes aren't good for you !
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

This is not a new article we had a thread on this very article a few months ago.

The Company that the writer used has a very limited turnover and the source of their funding is questionable hence please do not take the results as literal.

The ethos of real world testing is surely far better than a lab centered approach, my 33mpg SD was way less than the 42mpg that is still shown on the configurator as the Urban mpg.

In 1991 I regularly drove back into London for my working week and saw the yellow polution haze, skip forward to today and things are far better, but there is still more to do as London exceeded its yearly emissions total for the whole of 2017 in the first quarter.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

But we'll keep aircraft flying over central London for Westerlies into Heathrow!
John_M

Post by John_M »

You may want to try Reader View (if browser supports it - link firefox's) as it get rid of all the fancy features design to make content second to graphics.

It demonstrates Goodhart's_law - "When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure." - tax on emissions and the companies will do anything to game the emissions for testing
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:13 am
The Company that the writer used has a very limited turnover and the source of their funding is questionable hence please do not take the results as literal.
Okay if the results are not literal, we still know how unrealistic the current Euro emissions test cycle is. It's laughable and soon to be replaced by hopefully something much closer to reality.