718 GTS just launched

The place to discuss everything else..
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

MacanArif wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:09 pm Went for a test drive in a 718 Boxster S - as I've been thinking of getting the 718 GTS. It was a fabulous car to drive in an awesome colour (miami blue) - very quick with sweet handling. However, the one thing (big thing) missing was the sound - it just wasn't there despite the car having sports exhaust.

The sound has put a doubt in my head and even though the 911s have turbo charged engines they still do sound good with SE - probably done to the fact that they are still a flat six cylinder.

Hmm...
It's funny, I don't like the noise of the new 911 turbo engines at all which is why I won't buy a 991.2 standard car. For me the sound issue bothers me less on a car in the £60k range than in the £100k range so I am fine to live with it on the 718.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...

VanB

Post by VanB »

I know where you’re coming from - the sound on the 991.2 is a bit muted and there is quite a lot of turbo whistle but to drive it’s awesome so have overcome my ambivalence to the sound. The 4 pot 718 does sound like a Scooby though and I’m not sure I could live with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

I quite liked the sound of the 991.2 C4GTS, it wasn't as loud or as crescendo delivering as 991.1 C4GTS but nonetheless very acceptable. But with the 718 I was left thinking could I live with it?

Need to give it some thought before I push the button.

Apparently next week is when they receive the first quarter allocations for next year - I'm hoping there will be a few extra GT3 slots with one with my name on it!
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Fingers crossed for you, Arif! 👍
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

It's interesting how different OPCs have different processes and that Porsche GB do not stipulate what a standard should be. For mine, GT3s are still operating on the order in which deposits were received - so you would know a long time ago with a degree of certainty if you were going to get one. For some reason (which I can't understand), I did not put a deposit down years ago so its unlikely I will get one. They are changing the process going forward (certainly for all 992 and onwards plus other limited cars) to purely discretionary and, as such, have not been taking deposits for the last year + on anything special for this reason. This will then follow more the Ferrari model where by regular purchasers are favoured over those people (often but not always speculators) who just put deposits down on anything special without supporting the brand or dealership elsewhere. For me (obviously as a buyer of all sorts) this seems fairer.
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
VanB

Post by VanB »

I couldn't agree more Virage. The more you've supported a brand the higher up the priority list you should go and I think this would also reduce the number of speculators getting an allocation over and above brand enthusiasts
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Not sure that plan works as you could argue speculators support a brand more as they buy more cars than an enthusiast does as the enthusiast keeps his car longer. Using the basis of number of cars purchased won't help the genuine guy, length of ownership may help but that can't really be measured and Again could be unfair to an enthusiast who has the cash to change his cars often.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I have been looking at the cost of second hand recent GT3s and as well as seeing how little if any they loose but what struck me was just how many previous owners a three year old car can have. I have seen up to seven with three or four being typical. Looks like speculators passing them back and forward until they get a retail mug to pay over the odds for it. On principle I would never buy such a second hand car when the new ones are kept for the select few, nearly all of who are speculating on keeping it a year at most before chopping it in for another and making a profit.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Back on the 718, been thinking on the noise.

Previous GTSs have sounded more throaty than the standard S, be that Panamera, 981 Cayman etc., even ignoring sports exhausts. Given one of the major criticisms of the 718s is the noise, my hope / assumption is that Porsche make a significant improvement for the 718 GTS in that area. Certainly the launch video didn't sound too bad I thought.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

As F1 will testify it is very difficult to get a highly efficient modern turbo engine to sound good. The additional problem Porsche has with the 718 engine is that the more they open the exhaust to get it to sound better the more it sounds like a Subaru.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50