Jons no Macan replacement Golf R

The place to discuss everything else..
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great looking Golf 👍 :D

jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 pm Great to have you back.

Car looks excellent, and I even like the colour.

Do does the ride compare?
Thanks Col thats very kind.

With regards to ride the Golf with Dynamic Chassis control is a great compromise just like pasms on the Macan.
Its surprisingly supple for a sports suspension system and much more forgiving than the like of Msport BMW's.

There's a lot of suspension travel on the Golf for a hatch back and it can run 17" wheels which would give a good sidewall size for simular comfort to a steel sprung GTS on 20"wheels in My findings.

I run very low profile 19" tyre's simular to the Cayman and boxsters and its still good on rough roads but obviously these are more likely to feel a lot more harsh to you coming from air and 20"s Col.

Plus I've fitted the newly developed Michelin pilot sport 4s which will be standard soon on the GT Porsche 911 s and it's surprising what difference they have made over the standard Bridgestone fitted to most golf R's .
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

ScotMac wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:51 pm Great looking Golf 👍 :D
Cheers Scot it's nice to see you still active on the forum bud! 😁💪
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Love Golfs too, amazing handling and great steering feel. Wife has a Mk 7 GTD for nearly 4 years, just sold it this week as her new GTI DSG will be here in about 4 weeks.

The GTD has been an amazing day to day car. Lovely drive, hugely economical and only £20 to tax. Only issue is the diesel unit is a little crude at take off but once up and running it’s very sweet. Looking forward now to the petrol engine and switch to the DSG box for the next few years.
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Tom 2000 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:15 pm The Golf is a real hoot to drive. Especially over 4500 rpm. I have a poverty spec lease and £ for £ is the best car I’ve ever had.

I would fully agree Tom This R has only Panoramic and privacy glass as options and if I added all the standard kit in with it it would of added 10k to a standard Macan S
Last edited by jonmacan on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

MCDK wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:44 am Love Golfs too, amazing handling and great steering feel. Wife has a Mk 7 GTD for nearly 4 years, just sold it this week as her new GTI DSG will be here in about 4 weeks.

The GTD has been an amazing day to day car. Lovely drive, hugely economical and only £20 to tax. Only issue is the diesel unit is a little crude at take off but once up and running it’s very sweet. Looking forward now to the petrol engine and switch to the DSG box for the next few years.
Hi Man.. you'll be in for a treat with the new 7 SPEED DSG Mated to a super revvy TSi engine.

I drove a GTI clubsport S and that is some car but just 2 seats was a real drawback for Me and the Family...lol. but just shows what VW can do with a humble hatchback. It was fantastic but I much prefer AWD even if it loses out on it's added weight.
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

jonmacan wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:52 am
MCDK wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:44 am Love Golfs too, amazing handling and great steering feel. Wife has a Mk 7 GTD for nearly 4 years, just sold it this week as her new GTI DSG will be here in about 4 weeks.

Hi Man.. you'll be in for a treat with the new 7 SPEED DSG Mated to a super revvy TSi engine.

I drove a GTI clubsport S and that is some car but just 2 seats was a real drawback for Me and the Family...lol. but just shows what VW can do with a humble hatchback. It was fantastic but I much prefer AWD even if it loses out on it's added weight.
Both the mk7 clubsport S and the R had a lot of help from a well regarded Porsche engineering Guru in developing the chassis and it shows in feel when really pushing on.
johnd

Post by johnd »

Reading this does encourage me that a T-Roc R or Ateca Cupra might be an interesting proposition for those of us wanting more of a Golf R size and weight vehicle but in an SUV package.

Both T-Roc R and Ateca Cupra seem all but confirmed for launch in 2018, but the rumoured Skoda Karoq vRS (blandmobile though it is) with a 220ish bhp ICE and added electric propulsion at the rear sounds potentially appealing too, especially if the overall accelerative performance can come close to the Golf R. Still no news of Porsche wishing to compete in this smaller SUV sector but cards-close-to-chest???
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

johnd wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:05 am Reading this does encourage me that a T-Roc R or Ateca Cupra might be an interesting proposition for those of us wanting more of a Golf R size and weight vehicle but in an SUV package.

Both T-Roc R and Ateca Cupra seem all but confirmed for launch in 2018, but the rumoured Skoda Karoq vRS (blandmobile though it is) with a 220ish bhp ICE and added electric propulsion at the rear sounds potentially appealing too, especially if the overall accelerative performance can come close to the Golf R. Still no news of Porsche wishing to compete in this smaller SUV sector but cards-close-to-chest???
Hi Johnd.

Funny enough an ateca is what I drove while looking at a Golf R among other cars. Nothing JLR though.
I just didn't consider the ateca as appealing but a fettled and boosted Porsche version would have great appeal I'm sure.

To implement the feeling of a lightweight chassis into such a compact SUV will be massive winner but do Porsche need to do it I don't know.
It would be fantastic to have a Porshce Bolar equivalent power to weight ratio.
A dream I suppose.