With all the talk of motorbikes .....

The place to discuss everything else..
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

..... on this forum, I had a day’s holiday yesterday and decided to book onto my CBT. I really enjoyed learning to ride and made an impromptu decision to buy a commuter and weekend fun bike today.

I’m limited to a 125cc but found an amazing place locally that is going to custom build me a cafe racer / scrambler style bike using a donor Honda bike like in this video:

https://youtu.be/zoxmiMnAplA

Should be fun choosing everything and will be ready in 4-6 weeks .... in time for winter!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Have you decided what you want yet?

Sounds a bit mad heading towards winter - but could be fine - get your license in time for summer :D
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I figured I’d just get on with it and get the 125cc and learn the craft. They’re happy to build the bike and keep it until spring if needed. I’ll then just enjoy it and hopefully get better and decide if I want to progress to a bigger bike.

Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

If it was me, I would get a standard Honda 125 and try to get through as much of the CBT / test as possible. Hopefully by spring you could have passed your test.

Just get some decent / warm gear :D
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

It was surprising how cold it was out on the bike yesterday doing the CBT, so will definitely be investing in some warm gear!

Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Love motorbikes and had always had one from 1976 up until 2012. However, the reality of riding on modern roads started to cause me some concerns....... a 160mile (return) commute with much of it along the M4 started to become more and more like death race 2000, road surfaces deteriorating more and more each year, too many “sorry I didn’t see you moments” and I thought enough is enough.

Sold my Honda Blackbird and bought my consolation prize of a 997 Turbo. I can no longer filter through traffic, the “buzz” isn’t quite the same but hey, I am never going to fall off the 997 😀. I do still read MCN, Bike, Ride etc and I do hanker after a bike, occasionally visiting my local triumph dealer with thoughts of buying something to pootle around on ......... maybe soon.....
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

125cc Ducati. ;)

IMG_2043.JPG

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:40 pm It was surprising how cold it was out on the bike yesterday doing the CBT, so will definitely be investing in some warm gear!

Get some decent warm gear, especially gloves, have no draughts and things will be much better :D
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Training is key, get as much as you can to prepare for the test passes needed to progress to a bigger bike. Then join a local IAMRoadsmart group and benefit from their exceptionally good value advanced training. This will help provide the skills needed firstly to enjoy biking to the full, but also to stay safe.

Make sure the kit is hi viz as well as warm and waterproof. Certainly ride in winter, but not when conditions are dangerous, like ice, fog and snow.

Personally, I feel a lot safer on a motorbike than a bicycle. On a motorbike you can at least travel at the speed of other traffic and you have the power and manoeuvrability to ride defensively when necessary. A bike ridden expertly and responsibly provides much greater satisfaction and enjoyment, as well as technical challenges, than any car.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

If you take the advice of this old biker, do take your time.

A sizeable number of the training organisations are quite poor so please do your research before choosing one.

In preparation do read up on the different tests and practice, practice.

Your observational skills will be honed on the bike.

Once you have passed your final test please do not rush out and buy a bigger bike, keep it a sensible upgrade something like a BMW GS800.

For at least three months after passing your final test get in plenty of practice and then join the IAM and let them train you up before any questionable habits sneak in.

A word of warning, Sports bikes are for the likes of Guy Martin, John McGuinness etc. they are very, very quick on the road but uncomfortable to ride. For an inexperienced biker a Sports bike is the quickest thing to take you to an accident.

A 125 is very light a 1000/1200cc bike can weigh at least 210kg dry so you have a heavy machine to keep upright at low speeds and when stopping.

For sheer size a Harley Davidson is oh so heavy, uncomfortable over 60pmh, and high in time which is required for cleaning to keep the rust at bay.

Buy good quality gear Goretex lined, including heated gloves, these are the single most beneficial things you can buy if you suffer from the cold. A silk balaclava and a neck tube helps with keeping the head and neck warmer. On the bike heated grips and heated seats do help with all year riding, which is what I did.

Once you have the experience you will love it.

These are some of my bikes.
Triumph Sprint ST 1050cc tripple

4A0341FE-F88A-4B3A-AE89-2F9045CFA50B.jpeg

Honda Goldwing 1800cc flat 6

7763D41C-0A06-493E-8452-10AE8C28CB7D.jpeg

Triumph Bonneville 900cc twin

189EC444-8E93-4C7C-9C4D-FC09A3ABD7ED.jpeg

Triumph Explorer Tiger 1200cc tripple

DC156E20-D836-4A8C-AA10-014FEC79F2BF.jpeg

ps
The Sprint was may favourite.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags