Moto GP

The place to discuss everything else..
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I recently commented that Formula 1 at times is no more than a procession where they are more concerned about saving their tyres than overtaking.

If you want to see some great racing watch some of the Moto GP. The Japan race and Australia race were just brilliant with the top group of riders swapping places every lap or so. I think Japan was raced in heavy rain - the F1 hero's wouldn't have been allowed out on track - too dangerous :? Was it the Australia race that Rossi ended up lying on the rear wheel of Marquez's bike during an overtake - his leathers had a big rubber mark. Brilliant :D

The attitude of the riders appears to be so much better too - they are enjoying the racing and the best man wins. I seem to remember Hamilton sulking so much (especially last season) when he came second. Overpaid spoiled brats some of them .

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Completely agree.

No pretentious prats, constantly thanking the team, saying the carefully scripted and rehearsed responses.

No OTT Management or Rules squiffed in favour of a particular team.

Just great racing by guys who can handle a powerful machine without the excessive XBox controls that F1 has.

Two weeks after breaking his leg Rossi is back racing, just because he loves to do what he does.

Yep Moto GP is by far better for spectators.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Yes totally agree with these "extras"

Meant to mention about Rossi breaking his leg and then back racing again. There was no complaint from him either when he ended up with the tyre mark on his back. A true hero. No wonder he has so many fans.
happy days

Post by happy days »

True. Even BTCC has passing aplenty.
Macan S D
718 S
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

"Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne has said the team could quit Formula 1 if they do not approve of the direction taken by new owners Liberty Media."
The Ferrari chief pinpointed proposals for a new engine design from 2021 as he made the threat in a conference call with investors.

Marchionne said F1 had been "part of our DNA since the day we were born".

But he added: "If we change the sandbox to the point it becomes unrecognisable, I don't want to play any more."

Perhaps something like this is required to get F1 "back racing".
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

ScotMac wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:14 pm "Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne has said the team could quit Formula 1 if they do not approve of the direction taken by new owners Liberty Media."
The Ferrari chief pinpointed proposals for a new engine design from 2021 as he made the threat in a conference call with investors.

Marchionne said F1 had been "part of our DNA since the day we were born".

But he added: "If we change the sandbox to the point it becomes unrecognisable, I don't want to play any more."

Perhaps something like this is required to get F1 "back racing".
It’s a rock and a hard place. Liberty (and probably everyone else) want a more competitive show like a bigger version NASCAR with a raft of restrictions or whatever to equalise everyone, but the teams want it to be open to individual development in the historic tradition, the technological pinnacle of motorsport - as does most everyone else!

I think there’s a lot wrong with the money side when Ferrari get almost as much in ‘special’ payments before they even turn a wheel (about 85 mil) as a team like Haas whose total budget is 92 mil !!

Is MotoGP subject to ‘equalising’ rules or is it like F1 just the best of the best?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

One of the things that I really hate in F1 is the pit stops.

The fact that one driver can overtake another simply by the timing of a pit stop is to me inherently wrong.

It should be about car racing not maths probailities.

Where has this technical pinnacle of motor sport rubbish come from? It was about the Formula with the biggest most powerful engine, not how many bells and wistles the car has.

I occasionally watch Porsche Cup if I notice when it is being shown on Sky, now that is racing.

Over the pond when Mansell drove in the Indy 500 I then started to watch it until one year there was asafety car and when it went in the cars were all bunched up and it became about a 10 lap sprint.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Pit stops. It's a team event and thus part of the mix. But does not a similar situation occur in Moto when it rains and they have to change bikes?

Biggest most powerful sounds like US racing. However... when motor racing began yes, this was true and created monsters. They also had co-drivers and had, if necessary, to change wheels. Nothing new there then.

F1 was born after the war and always had limits on engine size which changed frequently. Once a limit is set it's then down to the engineers to screw as much as possible within those limits. It was at birth, and still is, the peak of single seater technical expertise. Endurance racing has a whole gang of its own rules and because of this is technically superior in other areas. But only because it's permissible.

It has always been a platform for state-of-the-art technologies that are ultimately passed on. Any limits imposed would seriously threaten that and ultimately what we see on the road.

The enemy here is budgets. Give all teams a limit and then that would be a test of expertise. But while there are three or four teams get shed loads whilst others get next to nothing then there will always be limited racing.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

ScotMac wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:47 pm I recently commented that Formula 1 at times is no more than a procession where they are more concerned about saving their tyres than overtaking.

If you want to see some great racing watch some of the Moto GP. The Japan race and Australia race were just brilliant with the top group of riders swapping places every lap or so. I think Japan was raced in heavy rain - the F1 hero's wouldn't have been allowed out on track - too dangerous :? Was it the Australia race that Rossi ended up lying on the rear wheel of Marquez's bike during an overtake - his leathers had a big rubber mark. Brilliant :D

The attitude of the riders appears to be so much better too - they are enjoying the racing and the best man wins. I seem to remember Hamilton sulking so much (especially last season) when he came second. Overpaid spoiled brats some of them .
Couldn’t agree more. The Australian race was probably one of the best motorsport spectacles you’ll ever see, and, conspicuously different from F1, the riders we’re all smiling and congratulating each other on a hard race that they enjoyed immensely. When did you last see that in F1?

I’ll always remember David Coulthard’s remark after he attended the Australian MotoGP a couple of years ago. He said he’d seen more overtaking in one lap than in a whole season of F1!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:36 pm Pit stops. It's a team event and thus part of the mix. But does not a similar situation occur in Moto when it rains and they have to change bikes?

Biggest most powerful sounds like US racing. However... when motor racing began yes, this was true and created monsters. They also had co-drivers and had, if necessary, to change wheels. Nothing new there then.

F1 was born after the war and always had limits on engine size which changed frequently. Once a limit is set it's then down to the engineers to screw as much as possible within those limits. It was at birth, and still is, the peak of single seater technical expertise. Endurance racing has a whole gang of its own rules and because of this is technically superior in other areas. But only because it's permissible.

It has always been a platform for state-of-the-art technologies that are ultimately passed on. Any limits imposed would seriously threaten that and ultimately what we see on the road.

The enemy here is budgets. Give all teams a limit and then that would be a test of expertise. But while there are three or four teams get shed loads whilst others get next to nothing then there will always be limited racing.
The enemy is the way the budget is divided unequally, the smaller teams can never compete as the hig ones get the money.

Its the same as why Bury will never make it into the big league or if they do they will struggle, the cash goes to the big guns.

The technical side of F1 is again favoured for the larger existing teams such that the likes of Honda and to a lesser extent Renault are not allowed to develop their engines because of the limit on upgrades that are allowed hence they will always be playing catch up and the only chance they have to significantly upgrade will be when the engine rules change.

The whole of F1 is flawed and highly biased especially towards Ferrari.

With Moto GP we have Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Aprillia,Ducatti KTM and satelite teams any of which can win, but Honda, Yamaha, and Ducati are usually front runners and with two bikes per team anyone can win.

Pit use is solely to change bikes if the conditions change to a dangerous degree such as rain or a rapidly drying what was a very wet track.

No radios, only pit boards, the only communication direct to bike equivalent of the PCM will be texts advising of issues.
Col
Macan Turbo