Diesel decline - premature?

The place to discuss everything else..
LLL

Post by LLL »

Sidscott wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:38 pm This thread is starting to look like a party political broadcast on behalf of the Green Party!
Its called The Macan Forum... Macans are petrol or deisel... we all want to live in a better world but lets get real everybody and stop being holier than thou!

Not sure where you find the political aspects in this. Quite an open discussion going on. And like I've written before, for me personally it's not mainly an environmental thing being the main benefit of EV. But still I think it's quite contemporary thinking to at least have the environment in mind and try to adapt a lifestyle where you have this in mind without sacrificing too many things.

And on this Macan forum it is a quite relevant topic, because the Next Generation Macan (2022) will only be offered as full electric. The facelift due next year will be introduced as a hybrid. Recent info I got from Porsche show that the demand for hybrids in Panamera, Cayenne and future Macan has sky rocketed. People are asking the dealerships about the Macan Hybrid and EV variants like never before...

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Sidscott wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:38 pm This thread is starting to look like a party political broadcast on behalf of the Green Party!
Its called The Macan Forum... Macans are petrol or deisel... we all want to live in a better world but lets get real everybody and stop being holier than thou!
It's an OT thread specifically discussing the demise of diesels, started by a Macan diesel owner I believe :lol:
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I better tread carefully, having created an infamous 100 page thread on speccing a 911 on here (that subsequently morphed into a Panamera purchase) especially as I have mentioned more than once about my interest, and letter of intent, regarding the upcoming Mission E.

One thing that I love about this forum is its diversity of topics and friendliness of members. :)

I hope that this continues, especially as the number of new threads regarding Macans seems to be on the decrease.

I for one am happy to see threads regarding 911s, Boxsters, Caymans, Cayennes, the Mission E and even totally non-Porsche related topics. As with certain TV shows, there is always the option to pick another channel (thread) or switch off completely! :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:36 pm
It's an OT thread specifically discussing the demise of diesels, started by a Macan diesel owner I believe :lol:
Yes, and he was highlighting the following point in support of the diesel Macan;

“The significant decline in sales of diesel vehicles shows that consumers have been affected by current media and government coverage. Modern Euro 6 diesel cars cannot be compared to older diesel models" :roll:
Deleted User 1874

Euro 6 is just as flawed as any of the previous standards when cars can pass it in a lab and then emit 10x that limit on the road. It's a farce as I said earlier and something needs to be done about it. It wouldn't be such an issue if the test was realistic and manufacturers didn't deliberately manipulate their engines to pass it in the lab.
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

So basically our cars are CRAP!
Deleted User 1874

In terms of meeting emissions targets then yes they are. I think well over 90% of EU6 cars don't actually meet the emissions standard on the road and the Macan was among those listed by the German government. It's hardly surprising that it created bad press. I don't think there is any future for diesel cars, although it will take more than a decade to phase them out.

If you choose to ignore the emissions then of course it's not a crap car. It offers a decent blend of performance and economy, which is what made them a popular choice in the first place. But I don't think we'll miss them when they're gone as the alternatives are IMHO better anyway.
Deleted User 1874

Incidentally, can you even buy a new German Macan diesel since the government banned their sale a few months ago?
Guy

Post by Guy »

Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:04 am Incidentally, can you even buy a new German Macan diesel since the government banned their sale a few months ago?
https://www.porsche.com/germany/models/ ... -s-diesel/
Deleted User 1874

I meant in Germany, I know you can still buy one here because the UK government decided not to get involved. I thought the German govt had banned their registration over there.