500 mile range and full charge in 1 minute

The place to discuss everything else..
johnd

Post by johnd »

wilko wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:34 pm I’ve never been overly impressed by people who end discussions with people who have different opinions to them with
“I’m not talking to you, you’re stupid and don’t understand”
Agreed. It often implies that they haven't understood the issue in sufficient detail to be able to marshal a compelling argument.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:54 pm Col Lamb - I don't think Luke or anyone else has ever suggested that a suitable charging infrastructure for everyone is going to pop up overnight. It's actually growing in line with EV usage and the energy companies are starting to plan for the future uptake of EVs. It's always going to be a transitional thing, not an overnight switch. Talking about the electricity grid, it needs cleaning up and modernising regardless of what happens with personal transport. Again that is starting to happen too, along with more efficient home energy usage. Whether it's all happening fast enough is open to debate.
Yery true.

Whilst the electricity companies may well be planning today to get the powerstations online is going to take a considerable period of construction.

The Nuclear powerstation near where I used to live took 15 years to build plus about 10years in the planning and design.

Government is cutting it fine to get the infrastructure in place for 2040.

Mind you if I am still alive then I will only be interested in having enough power to get my electric buggy from A to B and back to the old codgers home.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
LLL

Post by LLL »

johnd wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:53 pm
wilko wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:34 pm I’ve never been overly impressed by people who end discussions with people who have different opinions to them with
“I’m not talking to you, you’re stupid and don’t understand”
Agreed. It often implies that they haven't understood the issue in sufficient detail to be able to marshal a compelling argument.

Sorry that you got to be the victim for the tip-over from my end, Willco. My sincere apologies!

It's just that i tried numerous times to balance up a few threads in here where I think that much of what is written is just plain wrong and built on misconceptions, lack of real life experience and too much focus on things that are non issues in practice. My biggest reason for still having been around here from time to time lately is because I myself could have been the person writing exact all those negatives just a year ago. Now having had owner experience of 25000 miles Tesla driving I realize how wrong I were just one year ago. I don't even live in the UK and hang around up north in Scandinavia so should probably not have been on this forum in the first place. But while owning my Macan I really found this to be a great place with a great bunch of people just like it still is.

In this thread and many others I've come to realize that it's such an infected topic with EVs. Sometime when I write a comment in here it feels like I'm on a forum for Vegans trying to sell my beef :lol:

With all that said I think it's time for me to say bye bye and thank you guys that I've been having great discussion with over the last two years or so. I think I've highlighted a lot of things in many threads and I hope that some find it valuable, but I don't want to be the the EV-Parrot in here and repeating stuff and creating a negative climate. That for sure was not my intention, but for obvious reasons it has been treated that way many times.

Still really love the Macan (and all Porsche sports cars of course) and each time I see one driving around I think it's cool and look so good! i might be back in one when they release the full EV version in 2022 or there about, if I don't get my hands on a Mission-E before that or Tesla deliver something even more interesting 8-)

Cheers guys and thanks for all and enjoy your motoring!

All the best,
Luke
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Thank you Luke. I for one have found your posts very informative and your first hand experience of switching from ICE to EV seems typical of others I know i.e. generally very positive.

What I read here from EV sceptics broadly reflects my own views before I looked deeper into the subject. Reading those very same views from other people, they now seem rather narrow minded and often inaccurate. But this is hardly surprising on a forum dedicated to large ICEVs!

So likewise and as I didn't even end up owning a Macan (although I do still own a classic 911) I think it's also about time for me to leave this forum too. I stuck around for a while because I do find many of the OT subjects interesting and there are some good guys here, but I think I'll move on to more relevant forums having now chosen a very different SUV.

Cheers,
Pete
Paul

Post by Paul »

Luke, I personally have seen good value in your various inputs over the years and, whilst you and I have agreed to disagree on a number of occasions, I think it would be a shame if you decided to “ leave”
Perhaps your new-found passion for EV has come accross as a bit too passionate for some on here😉
Look forward to your thoughts on the Mission-E......
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Will be sorry if you do leave Luke, your posts have been very informative.

Many of us realise that less polluting vehicles have to become the norm, for us in the UK it is not the lack of availability of EVs that is the problem, in five years time there will be many more available.

Our problem is what has been posted many time an aged and failing electricity generation and distribution system, whilst charge points are gaining in numbers, many millions will not have easy access to safe and secure charging facilities, many millions do not have their own car parking space.

EVs no doudt are the best option but as we are an island of over 60,000,000 people with in excess of 35,000,000 million cars on our roads (plus trucks, vans, buses etc) then our road to full EV is massive.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
wilko

Post by wilko »

Luke.
I agree with most here that your contributions have always been interesting, and to me the point of internet forums is that people, often of differing opinions can discuss things constructively.
There are no winners or looser in discussions, and it's not about trying to change other people opinions, just lively debate.

If you chose to leave here it'll be a shame.🤝🏼
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Deleted User 1874

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 am EVs no doudt are the best option but as we are an island of over 60,000,000 people with in excess of 35,000,000 million cars on our roads (plus trucks, vans, buses etc) then our road to full EV is massive.
That's why it's going to take a few decades to get there. But that doesn't stop EVs being a very good option for many people today. I wouldn't have bought one if I thought it wasn't going to work in our favour. The number of small EVs I see on the roads has increased dramatically over the last year. Or maybe I just notice them more. I see more Nissan Leafs in our town than Macans for sure ;) The i3 and eGolf both seem quite popular too, although hard to spot the latter from an ICE version.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:52 am
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:27 am EVs no doudt are the best option but as we are an island of over 60,000,000 people with in excess of 35,000,000 million cars on our roads (plus trucks, vans, buses etc) then our road to full EV is massive.
That's why it's going to take a few decades to get there. But that doesn't stop EVs being a very good option for many people today. I wouldn't have bought one if I thought it wasn't going to work in our favour. The number of small EVs I see on the roads has increased dramatically over the last year. Or maybe I just notice them more. I see more Nissan Leafs in our town than Macans for sure ;) The i3 and eGolf both seem quite popular too, although hard to spot the latter from an ICE version.
Very true.

When I was last in London every other car seemed to be a Prius.

I quite liked my test drive of the i3 which for me now would actually be the ideal size of vehicle
Col
Macan Turbo
Deleted User 1874

I quite like the i3 too, but my wife didn't like the quirky looks and it doesn't look very practical for kids with car seats. The second gen Leaf looks more practical, if not as interesting and chic as the i3. The eGolf looks practical too, but seems like a bit of a compromise built on an ICE platform. I prefer ground up designed EVs.

Choice should improve rapidly in the next couple of years and I'm quite excited about the shift in technology. When it comes to more mundane ICEVs, they are not exactly inspiring. Our diesel Qashqai is a good example and I just couldn't face another small turbo diesel runabout. But an EV version of the Qashqai (which is on the cards in a new ground-up EV design) could be great.