New Tesla Roadster

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:19 am
Dandock wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:05 am its either a brilliant future or the shell trick!
Regardless of whether or not Tesla survive long enough to produce this car (I believe they will at this point), the more important point is that a car like this can really exist. I have no doubt that the mind-blowing performance is real. For me the only question mark is how much does it weigh with a 200 kWh battery? In other words does it handle as well as it goes in a straight line? My guess is that it's no lightweight, but not ridiculously heavy either for a road car. The CofG will be extremely low too, so overall I expect it can dance pretty well (if not the best) but on road the staggering performance and traction will blow everyone's mind anyway. I for one would love to drive this thing!
Agreed. I know the Top Gear review was generally very complimentary re handling but this takes the brand into a whole different area. Clearly from Luke's video it can do a straight line with truly amazing traction but thats just the beginning. The trick is managing and controlling the power in all scenarios. Even keeping the blighter on the ground!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 am I thought you said they were £500K base price, or was that some special edition?
That was the Vanquish Zagato special in the picture - limited run, a bit like a 911 Speedster.

If they had been asking £20k deposit, I would have probably gone for it.

£50k is both a lot of money full-stop, a lot of money to lose if Tesla goes under, but also is an oddly high number (Ferrari deposits are "only" £20k for cars of a similar list price) which makes me wonder if this is just a way of grabbing additional funds and less about the feasibility of production.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Virage11 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:35 am

£50k is both a lot of money full-stop, a lot of money to lose if Tesla goes under, but also is an oddly high number (Ferrari deposits are "only" £20k for cars of a similar list price) which makes me wonder if this is just a way of grabbing additional funds and less about the feasibility of production.
I was thinking the the same, plus the release of this and the truck on the same day, provides a welcome distraction form the major problems they are experiencing with the 3.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Peteski wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 am I thought you said they were £500K base price, or was that some special edition?
That was the Vanquish Zagato special in the picture - limited run, a bit like a 911 Speedster.

If they had been asking £20k deposit, I would have probably gone for it.

I agree it is a large deposit, but no doubt aimed at serious Tesla fanboys with deep pockets. Probably people who have also bought significant shares in the company. It's also something genuinely different from the usual new hypercar offerings. This is the first hypercar that has sparked my own interest since the original McLaren F1. I'm sure that Vanquish Zagato is a lovely car and beautifully crafted, but to me it looks like mutton dressed as a Thunderbird rather than something relevant and fresh.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Macananon wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:52 am

I was thinking the the same, plus the release of this and the truck on the same day, provides a welcome distraction form the major problems they are experiencing with the 3.
As i said... the old shell trick
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:09 pm As i said... the old shell trick
Certainly good PR timing, but these are both projects that have been some time in development and were already overdue for official release. It wasn't like they were invented a couple of months back just to deflect the Model 3 production woes.

Tesla are pushing their luck for sure, but their products look strong enough to actually pull it off. I bet they get loads of deposits, which should give investors even more confidence that demand for Tesla's visionary products is still very strong. It reminds me a little of Apple back in 2002 with their original flat screen iMac and iPod. They were both niche products, but being sick of shitty beige PCs, I bought both at the time (without even knowing what the iPod actually did - it was sold with the iMac as a portable storage device) and was seriously impressed with their performance and simplicity. I really should have bought some Apple shares at that time as they were both game changing products. Incidentally I still prefer Macs over PCs to this day.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Vapourware.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Except Apple had, albeit they’d gone through a terrible time with an accountant in control, a track record of innovation. Not only that but they were the default computer in many US schools and offices, and throughout the design and advertising world across the world.

Oh... and I’m a serial Mac user too. 😀
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:47 pm Except Apple had, albeit they’d gone through a terrible time with an accountant in control, a track record of innovation. Not only that but they were the default computer in many US schools and offices, and throughout the design and advertising world across the world.

Oh... and I’m a serial Mac user too. 😀
I wasn't really trying to suggest Tesla are the next Apple, but Tesla are certainly building a reputation as an "innovator" right now. When it comes to EVs, they genuinely are at the cutting edge and have been for some years now.
LLL

Post by LLL »

Retired wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:43 pmVapourware.

Just out of curiosity.... Do you put that same label also on Porsche Mission-E, Audi E-tron, VW group EVs etc that also is supposed to come out in small volumes 2020?