Driverless cars

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Totally agree, Pete. As I mentioned previously a commercial convoy system is said to be the first step.

Coincidentally there's a story running in today's Times re the vulnerability of cars - even those as far back as 2000 - to hacking. The article is suggesting that it is actually happening albeit accidents are not being investigated with hacking in mind.

In light of the current and ongoing political tensions i think the developers have a huge amount to do to prove the infallibility of their product.

Further to this, I read last week a piece suggesting that driverless taxis were one of Musks prime targets. Simply because of their profitability.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Marra

Post by Marra »

There is obviously a long way to go here until we get to the stage where all cars on the road are driverless but I guess we have to make a start. The basic premise i believe is sound - most car accidents come about by driver error rather than machine malfunction - take the drive out of the equation and you reduce the risk - it certainly works with commercial aircraft which have been flying by computer for quite a while now.

I agree with the points made above with regard to interim steps that could be made - how about using technology to reduce excessive speed, stop tailgating above certain speeds, remove the option to use mobile phones while driving, stop middle lane hogging. While we are at it, i read last week that there has been a huge increase in the amount of unlicensed vehicles and we are all aware of the uninsured vehicles on the road - how about using technology to stop that - chip in car only work with a code, or better still a download, when the tax and insurance are purchased.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Well it must now be official...... politicians and there advisors are demented idiots.

Reports in press state that the huge technically gifted Chancellor (I am being facitious) has sated that fully driverless cars will be on the roads by 2021.

Even the countries top research organisation seems to think that that is highly optimistic and even if they are on the road it would need to be in specific circumstances and conditions.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I wonder what the insurance companies take on driverless cars will be and what premium they will charge?
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Marra

Post by Marra »

SAC1 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:39 pm I wonder what the insurance companies take on driverless cars will be and what premium they will charge?
I think under the right circumstances and given appropriate testing etc. etc. etc. I'm sure most insurance companies would be delighted to get drivers out of cars - it's them that cause the majority of accidents.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Marra wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:59 pm
SAC1 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:39 pm I wonder what the insurance companies take on driverless cars will be and what premium they will charge?
I think under the right circumstances and given appropriate testing etc. etc. etc. I'm sure most insurance companies would be delighted to get drivers out of cars - it's them that cause the majority of accidents.
Apart from the small issue of proving who was responsible. Is it the car manufacturer, the system provider, the software provider, the17 year-old what write it or the cloud thingy or whatever...? I foresee class actions here with whoever either denying responsibility of pointing the the finger at someone else. But probably it will fall on the poor driver who was busy playing games or sending a selfie instead of overseeing his vehicle. :roll:

For sure this all a long way down the road!

And I believe PH said 'hope'.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
VanB

Post by VanB »

Driverless cars are inevitable on our roads although whether it is in as little as 4 years' time remains to be seen. Don't forget that driverless, people-carrying, drones are already being tested.

I think I'm happy that I'm as old as I am and probably won't have to worry too much about technological "advances" in the future as the world is going to change dramatically over the next 10 years.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I think we are a fair way off fully driverless cars.
Having experienced Tesla Model X drive me around it was a bit scary. Felt very nervous. Nothing wrong with what Tesla did. It was me trusting it.

I think driver aids are what we are seeing and will continue to see over the next few years. I drove the latest Audi which when I reversed out the brakes went on automatically. I didn’t see a car coming from a blind spot but the cameras did on the car.

As much as computers can make mistakes I think they are required to assist us as humans make lots of mistakes too.
Having done some work in Automation and letting technology do things for me so I don’t have to remember I can see how it works and can work well.

We have to learn to trust it to start with. We still need to assist imo.
GTS 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:17 pm
Reports in press state that the huge technically gifted Chancellor (I am being facitious) has sated that fully driverless cars will be on the roads by 2021.

The same Chancellor who said that the UK has no unemployed?! :roll:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

Wing Commander wrote:
Col Lamb wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:17 pm

The same Chancellor who said that the UK has no unemployed?! :roll:
For the most part we don’t have unemployment in the traditional sense of the word. Working in the talent arena I am convinced that, particularly in the south east; those not working generally don’t want to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate