Driverless cars

The place to discuss everything else..
Yanwoo

Post by Yanwoo »

Crazy diamond wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:48 pm Is it me ?? ( probably)

Are driverless cars a solution in search of a problem ? Has the desire to prove something is possible overtaken anaylsis of the benefits and sound common sense? It has happened before, just google Iridium satellites.
Problem 1: 1.25 million road deaths a year; we wouldn't tolerate that from a disease without taking aggressive action. Autonomous cars have the potential to decimate that number.

Problem 2: cars spent 95% of their lives inactive; an enormous amount of resources just sitting there, doing nothing. Autonomous cars hold the promise of a change in ownership model so we can significantly reduce that waste.

Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

Yanwoo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Are driverless cars a solution in search of a problem ? Has the desire to prove something is possible overtaken anaylsis of the benefits and sound common sense? It has happened before, just google Iridium satellites.
Problem 1: 1.25 million road deaths a year; we wouldn't tolerate that from a disease without taking aggressive action. Autonomous cars have the potential to decimate that number.

Problem 2: cars spent 95% of their lives inactive; an enormous amount of resources just sitting there, doing nothing. Autonomous cars hold the promise of a change in ownership model so we can significantly reduce that waste.
Agree on both points but afraid that the current approach is more driven by desire to prove it can be done than to solve 1 or 2. I believe we would need to radically change the whole transport model and that just is not going to happen in the short or medium term.
грязныйдизель

Post by грязныйдизель »

Crazy diamond wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:54 pm
Yanwoo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Agree on both points but afraid that the current approach is more driven by desire to prove it can be done than to solve 1 or 2. I believe we would need to radically change the whole transport model and that just is not going to happen in the short or medium term.
What is this "current approach" of which you speak? If you travel around the world a bit, or even just your own country, you will see many different transport models already in place or emerging.
Crazy diamond

Post by Crazy diamond »

As for driving around world I think I qualify having lived in US, South A, Germany, Greece and elswhere. My point is not that driverless cars will occur, they will, but in an urban environment and maybe motorways. It will be decades before they could become a reality where I live unless they learn to drive off the road to pass other vehicles. I talked about the “ current approach” which is techy led. Driverless cars may reduce numbers of cars but not the congestion, in fact the overly safety consciousness algorithms that control them will create even worse congestion UNLESS ( my point about tranport model) driverless lanes, roads, paths are created. Indeed why not radically change the shape of the car to be as wide as a single person allowing a whole different infrastructure to emerge. None of this will happen soon and currently it seems that we are just putting rubber tyres on the cartwheel.