Driverless cars

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

As a side note, I wonder how long it will be before cars are automatically limited to the active speed limit? That would be very easy to implement on all new cars with traffic sign recognition. Obviously not so easy to market or deal with on a political level.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:31 am As a side note, I wonder how long it will be before cars are automatically limited to the active speed limit? That would be very easy to implement on all new cars with traffic sign recognition. Obviously not so easy to market or deal with on a political level.
Incremental implementation seems to be policy.

Gatso cameras and the like.

Police no longer actioning directly speeding unless extreemely dangerous.

Police no longer on the streets to action bad driving.

Outsourcing speeding via Agency manned mobile cameras (usually in locations where slight speeding is not a particular danger.

Reduction of speed limits in country roads.

Average speed cameras on country roads.

Removal of dual carriageways / four lane roads

Traffic lights at every opportunity to restrict traffic flow, very few lights where I live have right turn filters resulting in only one car getting through to turn right each change,

Average speed camera being installed in urban areas (we now have them on main A6 in our City in the 30mph zone).

I can understand smart Mways where in high traffic density the speed limit is reduced, (56 mph is the best speed for maximum traffic flow whilst maintaining safe spacing).

It will soon be getting to the stage where we do not need our Porsche as we will not have any legal chance of using them other than on track.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Completely different tack to my last post.

Driverless Cars, OK so the software has been developed and the safety protocols are in place inside and outside of the vehicles.

What then?

Will the vast range of cars not be needed?

The safety features built into the sensors and software that gets the vehicle from A to B should mean no accidents hence the safety and construction inbuilt into a vehicle is no longer required resulting in smaller lightweight vehicles, which must be good for the environment.

Driverless means you do not need a car of your own just a subscription for use when you want or its via a type of Uber.

You want a car to get you home to work, then the car goes off and ferries other people around and then goes back to your office in readiness to take you home, then if you do not need it it joins the taxi fleet for the night, charging itself in a vast edge of town complex before going to your home in readiness for the next day.

Petrolheads are dead, we just refuse to lie down.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I’ll hopefully been long gone by that time.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

If cars were actively speed limited in-car, then there would be no need for speed cameras once legacy vehicles were gone from the roads. Personally I don’t think it will happen for political reasons, but it would be very easy to implement a “big brother” approach to limiting driving speeds.

Of course autonomous vehicles would obey speed limits too, but it’s obviously much harder to implement full self-driving. But the whole concept of autonomous cars seems somehow more politically acceptable than simply restricting our freedoms in self-driving.
LLL

Post by LLL »

Seems that there is a loooooong way still to go for autonomous vehicles. Just so many things to overcome and the delta between a semi-autonomous system and Level 5 self driving is enormous to say the least.

I have the "Enhanced Autopilot - aka AP2" in my Tesla and that system is at best a driver aid on motorways and relaxing way to be assisted in traffic jams. It's good at that, but using it anyway outside good circumstances it is a bit jerky and unreliable so I hardly even try in these situations anymore. It get's better and better for each iteration of the software (that Tesla release each second week currently) and being a tech guy like me it's fun to test each new version. But I can imagine for "average Joe" it's just not a reliable system and I completely understand the negative press that Tesla AP get from independent sources with it's current software algorithms. What you get though is a smart Adaptive cruise with steering assistance that is really smart, but it's quite expensive for that.

I have doubts that the hardware in my car will be capable of self driving, will probably require next gen hardware to get it to Level 4/5. Tesla recently updated to AP2.5 with some new hardware/radars, more powerful gpu and increased redundancy, so they have for sure realized that the original AP2.0 was not good enough. They still say it is though. Time will tell how things develop. For me personally it's a fun ride being along, but you clearly need to understand the limitations of the system and have relevant expectations.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I think average speed cameras will be implemented soonest. The infrastructure is mostly in place - certainly in specific area - so all that’s required is the decision.

As regards speed limit controlled speeds I think there would be ‘in an emergency’ safety issues albeit as with the current tech there could be the option to override, say for a limited period.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
John_M

Post by John_M »

Peteski wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:31 am As a side note, I wonder how long it will be before cars are automatically limited to the active speed limit? That would be very easy to implement on all new cars with traffic sign recognition. Obviously not so easy to market or deal with on a political level.
Most SatNavs know the speed limit on a road and it would be pretty simple to integrate into car controls. Many years ago I saw a news article on a university that had been given a grant of creating a car that couldn't speed, they seemed to think it an achievement (seemed pretty simple to me, even more so now) . However what I think they really missed doing is investigating the psychological effects and I think is what should stop such a plan – things like will a person keep foot fully on throttle through a speed limit if the car won’t let them speed, what happens when limit changes as each car will allow the change at slightly different points and different accelerations so will we see rear ending at limit changes.

If people can’t exceed limits will we see more risky overtaking as there less chances to overtake so people will be more determined to do so.

Finally what happens when the car gets it wrong and limits itself to 30 mph when limit is 60 mph – it is likely to stress both its driver and those behind
happy days

Post by happy days »

I know that on my McCann, the 20mph limits still show as 30s. Well at least they did when I did a trip to Scotland earlier in the year. I avoid 20mph zones wherever possible because I frankly find them totally ridiculous and are a thinly veiled money making scheme IMHO.

So in a case like this, would I get fined? Actually come to think of it, the police forces would probably be down on this as it would lose them a serious chunk of wedge if there were no fines being issued.
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

So given the various issues highlighted with even simple automated speed limiting, you can see how difficult it would be to implement a fully autonomous car.