Dammit, I've got the 911 bug too!

The place to discuss everything else..
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I'm trying Vanb, I'm trying! Yes, now the deposit's down the wait becomes the issue. But it could be worse.

Thanks Luke. My wife and I both like Alcantara, especially in the sports cars, and we love the GTS interior (similar to the Turbo interior we have in the Macan). The GTS standard interior has leather and quite a lot of the Alcantara bits, including the headlining. The GTS interior is one heck of a lot of money for what you get over standard. Even the Alcantara package is expensive. We'll keep it all under review though, until that fast approaching lockdown date which is 9 January.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

VanB

Post by VanB »

Came to the same conclusion about the standard interior Nick so have stuck with it. I added white dials for a bit of bling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
happy days

Post by happy days »

Lovely car and enjoy when it arrives. For me though, a sports car has to have a manual 'box. I know I'll get flamed like hell for this, but I can't help it. At my PEC day, I was the only person with a manual transmission. And the Porsche box is a delight to use.
Macan S D
718 S
LLL

Post by LLL »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 am I'm trying Vanb, I'm trying! Yes, now the deposit's down the wait becomes the issue. But it could be worse.

Thanks Luke. My wife and I both like Alcantara, especially in the sports cars, and we love the GTS interior (similar to the Turbo interior we have in the Macan). The GTS standard interior has leather and quite a lot of the Alcantara bits, including the headlining. The GTS interior is one heck of a lot of money for what you get over standard. Even the Alcantara package is expensive. We'll keep it all under review though, until that fast approaching lockdown date which is 9 January.
I also really like the Alcantara. With the standard pack you will not get the headliner in Alcantara. I'm not recommending the full GTS interior package upgrade with deviated stitching. I talk about the full leather/alcantara upgrade that cost 2,391. Still a lot of money, but for what you get it is also a lot nicer interior. More or less every panel in the car will be either alcantara/leather instead of the plastic standard material.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

happy days wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:54 am Lovely car and enjoy when it arrives. For me though, a sports car has to have a manual 'box. I know I'll get flamed like hell for this, but I can't help it. At my PEC day, I was the only person with a manual transmission. And the Porsche box is a delight to use.
I like manual boxes in classic cars, but I much prefer PDK in modern cars (used in manual mode). I love the instant changes without taking my hands off the wheel while despatching my favourite winding country roads. But I'm not a fan of using the auto modes for anything other than lazy cruising or in traffic. I certainly wouldn't spec a manual 911 today and especially not one that I was going to use daily in traffic.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:29 pm
happy days wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:54 am Lovely car and enjoy when it arrives. For me though, a sports car has to have a manual 'box. I know I'll get flamed like hell for this, but I can't help it. At my PEC day, I was the only person with a manual transmission. And the Porsche box is a delight to use.
I like manual boxes in classic cars, but I much prefer PDK in modern cars (used in manual mode). I love the instant changes without taking my hands off the wheel while despatching my favourite winding country roads. But I'm not a fan of using the auto modes for anything other than lazy cruising or in traffic. I certainly wouldn't spec a manual 911 today and especially not one that I was going to use daily in traffic.
+1
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Given how good PDK is, definitely no for a daily driver. For a weekend sports car, depends which 911 / Porsche to me. Wouldn't spec a non-GT car with manual I agree - PDK is too good and standard manuals (eg the 7 speed in the 911) are very good but not outstanding. 6 speed in the Boxster Spyder was epic. Manual in the 991.2 GT3 is by all reports even better.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I tried the manual 'box on a spin around the Brecon Beacons. It was great for having fun around the twisties but less so in town. If I was going for a weekend fun car it would probably be a manual 718 but this car will get much wider use, including being driven by my wife (maybe!). I see it more of sporty grand tourer (GTS?) that will do some continental trips as well as regular use on a variety of roads.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Luke wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:04 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:16 am I'm trying Vanb, I'm trying! Yes, now the deposit's down the wait becomes the issue. But it could be worse.

I also really like the Alcantara. With the standard pack you will not get the headliner in Alcantara. I'm not recommending the full GTS interior package upgrade with deviated stitching. I talk about the full leather/alcantara upgrade that cost 2,391. Still a lot of money, but for what you get it is also a lot nicer interior. More or less every panel in the car will be either alcantara/leather instead of the plastic standard material.
Thanks for your suggestions Luke. From the Standard features list on the configurator 'Roof lining and C-pillar trims in Alcantara®'.

I understand what you're suggesting with the Alcantara Package, as opposed to the GTS Interior, and it is a nice upgrade. Between now and lock down I'll be doing some comparisons to make sure we don't regret not adding a relatively small amount on the overall cost.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Well done Nuclear Nick, also for being able to keep the Macan. 8-)

I must agree with Luke that both the leather interior with alcantara and the leather interior will make the car feel much more special inside as it will also have the top of the dashboard and the top of door cards lined in leather. I don't think that the standard interior includes that.

I would drop the glass sunroof as that just adds weight where it is not desired in a sporty car, and select the upgraded interior. Just my 2p. ;)

I would also go manual like Happy Days, but can understand the lure of PDK.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0