Tesla Test Drive

The place to discuss everything else..
LLL

Post by LLL »

New Audi A8 interior... Even though it looks futuristic, I think it is too busy...

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:21 pm 5943DFC0-2733-4586-B40A-AC30D73A4328.jpeg

I have to agree with Mike.

The interior of the Tesla X is terrible, how can an Audi interior be fussy and ott when Tesla produce such a miss match of interior lines.

The Tesla S by comparison in its minimal form looks very stylish.
And all a matter of personal taste - to a degree!

As a design brief I think the challenge is how to accommodate a large rectangular screen within a curved environment. The two shapes simply conflict - particularly when, like Tesla, you decide to fill a space with the biggest possible pad. Secondly Tesla have made the decision to place it in the centre - the only area available - thus taking it out of the drivers eyeline. A good, safe decision? Unless there's a HUD this remains to be seen. It suggests to me that the decision about the pad came first, as a given almost, and then they had to try to make best of the remainder. Economically prudent - one fix, very few other mouldings etc. At best it's a modestly successful attempt at modern and at worst just extremely poor utilitarian.

Of the three solutions the S is by far the best (and not surprisingly the most expensive) - from the little I've seen not really to my taste but hey! - with the 3 being the least considered in every way and truly, truly awful. For a car costing £35,000 and upwards the 'living space' - and that's where you spend your time - is a disgrace. It very much smacks of being a cheap to make 'oh, that will do' solution.

All manufacturers have wrestled with the tricky issue of accommodating touchscreens with various solutions, both successful and less than successful. For example we have the Audi pop-up, the Mercedes add-on and we have Porsche's. But I think it's flawed to compare the new Audi facia to Tesla - particularly the one from the TT. The vehicles are completely different animals aimed at different markets and drivers that have wholly different desires and expectations. Audi's main market vehicles would be much closer in market terms and they are famously stripped back.

A better comparison with the TT would be the Roadster and here you see Tesla, albeit at this point looking rather cobbled together for the publicity stunt, but attempting to try fulfil those very emotive areas.

IMG_0423.PNG

VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Paul

Post by Paul »

Mrs P’s forthcoming TTS roadster will look a bit like this (to continue with the Audi comparaison...

9CC9B00C-4232-4686-BF16-25017B8735BD.png

And no more i-pads stuck on the dash, or looking down / accross at separate screens - the MIMI is fully integrated

E794FAA5-77F9-43DE-AB15-DEAEC93DD798.png

Last edited by Paul on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock, you do realise that's the old Tesla Roadster interior from about a decade ago? Also that's not an original display screen on the dash. The new one is just a little different, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogbo0Vg5huM
Deleted User 1874

Interior photos are often very unflattering. Compare this X interior pic to the one Col posted earlier.

Also the instrument display often gets forgotten, which can show whatever info you choose. People often miss this as the "iPad" takes centre stage.

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 am Dandock, you do realise that's the old Tesla Roadster interior from about a decade ago? Also that's not an original display screen on the dash. The new one is just a little different, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogbo0Vg5huM

👍 Certainly a bit different. Ah, the perils of the interweb!

But I'm still not convinced about the central arcade game look. A huge bright distraction - with or without HUD. I still believe as per the previous post that there are other more considered approaches particularly in a seriously performing car where maximum concentration is required.

Re your pic of the X - yes the carbon helps but, I'm sorry, this not good design. It's dated, comprises some very conflicting shapes, is very American and certainly not befitting a vehicle of this price. IMO. 😳

I'm pretty sure that most people would not find this acceptable in any other vehicle at a similar price point. Imagine a Porsche, Maserati, Range Rover presenting with something similar. Again imo 😐
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:47 am
Of the three solutions the S is by far the best (and not surprisingly the most expensive) - from the little I've seen not really to my taste but hey! - with the 3 being the least considered in every way and truly, truly awful. For a car costing £35,000 and upwards the 'living space' - and that's where you spend your time - is a disgrace. It very much smacks of being a cheap to make 'oh, that will do' solution.
The X is actually more expensive than the S and in real life the X interior is a little more luxurious in finish and most people agree it has better seats too. But they are very very similar interior designs and you would be hard pushed to tell which was which if not familiar with both.

Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 am
Re your pic of the X - yes the carbon helps but, I'm sorry, this not good design. It's dated, comprises some very conflicting shapes, is very American and certainly not befitting a vehicle of this price. IMO. 😳
Dated and very American ??? I guess we're not going to agree on this at all, which is fine. That's why peoples' house interiors look so different and we have these choices. Interestingly "Stuff" magazine voted the Model X as it's coolest car of the year, so that probably says a lot about the different taste of 20 and 30 somethings over the older generations, lol. I'm 49 by the way!
Deleted User 1874

Luke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:45 pm There are a few things that can improve even more of course. The air vent's look a bit dated and could do with a refresh.
Interesting that you picked up on this too. I also find the air vents a little dated and their slight asymmetry messes with my OCD! The "iPad" integration could perhaps be improved too (as I think it is on the new Roadster). But this is very much nit-picking as, like yourself, I find the Tesla interior very calming, helped of course by the lack of engine noise!

Merc interiors look like a complete mess to me, Audi and Porsche I quite like, but I do like how Tesla have started afresh without any legacy "baggage".
Deleted User 1874

Luke wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 pm New Audi A8 interior... Even though it looks futuristic, I think it is too busy...
I agree, why did they feel the need to make the heating controls so large and prominent?? Also the "wallpaper" satnav display in the dash looks like a mess. It could have been much more discreet. Then there's the distracting flash glare reflecting off the near horizontal dash panel. Is that really a shiny finish and looks like a great dust magnet.