Tesla Test Drive

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:45 am
Dandock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 am
Re your pic of the X - yes the carbon helps but, I'm sorry, this not good design. It's dated, comprises some very conflicting shapes, is very American and certainly not befitting a vehicle of this price. IMO. 😳
Dated and very American ??? I guess we're not going to agree on this at all, which is fine. That's why peoples' house interiors look so different and we have these choices. Interestingly "Stuff" magazine voted the Model X as it's coolest car of the year, so that probably says a lot about the different taste of 20 and 30 somethings over the older generations, lol. I'm 49 by the way!
All good fun, Pete! But how many motoring journals rate goodness what above the Macan?

Oh, and I'm going on 69 and our Victorian house is minimalist on the inside and contains contemporary and classic design pieces from Vitra, Eames, Ibride, Ruark, Artemide, Foscarini...
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:09 am
All good fun, Pete! But how many motoring journals rate goodness what above the Macan?

Oh, and I'm going on 69 and our Victorian house is minimalist on the inside and contains contemporary and classic design pieces from Vitra, Eames, Ibride, Ruark, Artemide, Foscarini...
I do share much of your taste in classic design. I keep promising myself an Eames Lounge Chair when I retire! Our house is a very contemporary take on a stone country "barn" with lots of glass and fairly open plan. Furniture is a mix of German and Scandi design, with a bit of modern French and English thrown in!

I don't take much notice of most popular motoring press, but I thought it was interesting what the "trendy young" non-motoring press thinks of Tesla. Most 20 and 30 somethings I know are certainly impressed and I like to think I've still got a young mind (my wife would probably say childish!).
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 am
Dandock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:09 am

I do share much of your taste in classic design. I keep promising myself an Eames Lounge Chair when I retire! Our house is a very contemporary take on a stone country "barn" with lots of glass and fairly open plan. Furniture is a mix of German and Scandi design, with a bit of modern French and English thrown in!

I don't take much notice of most popular motoring press, but I thought it was interesting what the "trendy young" non-motoring press thinks of Tesla. Most 20 and 30 somethings I know are certainly impressed and I like to think I've still got a young mind (my wife would probably say childish!).
I think the age profile is an interesting point and one that points, perhaps, to where this age group is coming from - not from a petrolhead perspective but just a pragmatic future transport viewpoint.

The house sounds nice - and fun! We've always yearned for a Huf House or similar - literally from years 30 ago before barely anyone had heard of them. But sadly circumstances conspired to put them, and many other things like a 911, out of reach.

And Eames Lounge Chairs are sublime and, as Mrs D and I can confirm, well worth the wait. #2 should be here next week.
For your future reference try Stephen Baldwin at Material Life. Always very competitive on price - if you ask! 😉
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Thanks for the tip on buying an Eames Lounger, I'll keep that in mind.

My personal perspective on EVs is that they are much faster and yet at the same time more relaxing to drive than equivalent ICE cars. I will miss the sound of a nice exhaust note, but then I'll always probably own a "classic Porsche" for nostalgic reasons. What I've found with our 2 girls is that they actually hate noisy engines, so any SUV with a sporty exhaust note is a non-starter anyway!
Deleted User 1874

Wing Commander wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:38 pm Regarding the Tesla X being very big, I have just compared it to my Panamera.

The Tesla X is actually 12mm or about half an inch shorter than my car. It didn't take me long to get used to parking it. So I'm sure you'll be fine with the Tesla.

It is true that the Tesla X is about 4" wider than the Panamera (or nearly 5%) but even so, I'm sure that you'll soon be parking it like a pro! ;)
Wow! I always thought the Panamera was a very big car, but I'm still surprised it's that long given that the Tesla X is a fraction longer than the latest Volvo XC90. But the width is what you really notice when parking the Tesla. It's a seriously wide car and would be a big negative for anyone having to squeeze into narrow spaces on a daily basis. Luckily we don't need to park in tight spaces often enough to worry about it. It's not the actual parking that would bother me, it's more the increased likelihood of damage from other careless owners. But I don't think it would be any different in a Cayenne or any other large SUV. It's the price you have to pay for all that interior space!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Yes, having been a very car sick child with smoking parents, I can understand their point of view.

We are going though a truly revolutionary time and despite how it might appear I see no point at all in sticking my head in the sand. Once the right product is available I'll be straight on board.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

"it's more the increased likelihood of damage from other careless owners."

Yep, they're the blighters you need to watch out for - and white van people... and builders in beaten up pick ups...!

And those who park a foot from the kerb and turn small runabouts into something the width of a Tesla and make if hell for everyone else. ;)
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 pm Yes, having been a very car sick child with smoking parents, I can understand their point of view.

We are going though a truly revolutionary time and despite how it might appear I see no point at all in sticking my head in the sand. Once the right product is available I'll be straight on board.
That's the problem today, there is simply not enough choice of EVs to suit everyone's taste and budget. Plus of course, the change from ICE to EV has to be gradual for the infrastructure to keep pace with demand. But it does need to happen if we want our kids and grandkids to enjoy the sort of freedom we take for granted today.
JR WAL

Post by JR WAL »

Had a recent test drive in the model X P100D and liked the space inside, but couldn't get passed the price point of this vehicle upwards of £130 k. It felt like it was worth half that. Ride was average, and yes it goes but I would be bored in a few weeks. Only advantage is for business owners you can claim 100% relief against corp tax in 1st year, but to fund it (as most business would) on hire purchase its almost £2500 per month! Think I will pass!
On order : Turbo PP www.porsche-code.com/PHKEENG0 Macan 2;http://www.porsche-code.com/PH1P17P2
macan 1 - macan s http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI1VBS2
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I saw an interesting tender today for organisations to present innovative proposals to transform the infrastructure for EV charging across Scotland. Good to see people exploring all possible ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.