Tesla Test Drive

The place to discuss everything else..
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Had my Tesla test drive on Friday. Drove a Tesla S and a Tesla X.

Impressive machines. The batteries appear to be extremely impressive with a huge capacity.

The cars are nice to drive with loads of power and obviously no gear changes. Better to drive than I expected.

Don't think they are quite as nicely finished as a Porsche but it was difficult to tell as it was getting dark.

One downside for me - they are huge - longer and wider than the Macan which is hardly a small vehicle.

Another downside was the cost. Both were approx £120,000 so I could have 2 Macans instead.

Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

So not such hard decision then !
andreas

Post by andreas »

I still lust after a Tesla S, but my wife isn't keen.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
VanB

Post by VanB »

Tesla S seems to be a bit marmite. I have a couple of friends with them who loved them initially but are falling out of love with them. Both are now looking to replace with Panameras
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

VanB wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:21 pm Tesla S seems to be a bit marmite. I have a couple of friends with them who loved them initially but are falling out of love with them. Both are now looking to replace with Panameras
Have they found the battery to be as good as it appears?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:21 pm Tesla S seems to be a bit marmite. I have a couple of friends with them who loved them initially but are falling out of love with them. Both are now looking to replace with Panameras
Can you elaborate as to why your friends are looking to replace?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:41 pm
Can you elaborate as to why your friends are looking to replace?
Of course:

Whilst initially very impressive the faults in build quality become increasingly apparent with rattles, squeaks, detaching panels etc. Faults in the drive system not acknowledged by Tesla (eventually replaced after 6 months of haggling) and numerous other niggles that you wouldn't expect on a £100k car. Basically dissatisfied with the experience and customer service so the brand is now tainted for them.

Interestingly enough nothing to do with range anxiety, charging points etc but all to do with the quality of the product and customer service experience.

Hope that helps
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

I also hear that the trade in options are limited on Teslas, a lot of manufacturers end up contacting Tesla for a price, so essentially little competition from second hand traders for these cars.

I'd be interested to hear if others have heard similar - it would really put me off buying one if there was limited options in terms of selling your Tesla.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
VanB

Post by VanB »

ScotMac wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:34 pm
Have they found the battery to be as good as it appears?
Scotmac, range appears to be a realistically usable 200 miles without thrashing it (P85) you can bring that down to 120 miles if you have any fun. So I guess the answer to your question is no.
Johnsmith

Post by Johnsmith »

Good tax breaks last time I looked, but I think you've got to be nuts buying one privately , or happy to loose a lot